• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threw a rod through my engine block.

red

So long as the engine has a similar RPM range it will not affect your top speed capability. To get the speed up your options are taller tires, swapping the transfercase to a T1138 from the M939 series 5 tons, or a transmission swap to one that has a better overdrive.

Mechanical injection diesel engines will run on oil blends. The multifuel has the benefit of running gasoline if necessary.

ARP rod bolts and head studs provide a better clamping force. Less likely to throw a rod/spin a main bearing, and the head studs will keep your head gasket together if you decide to upgrade the turbo.

Yes it did, and I was actually able to drive the truck like this 3 miles off the highway to my destination.
Engine still ran when the tow truck came to get it, I was able to start it and turn the truck around to get to a better angle for the wrecker.

Attachments

74M35A2

Wow, awesome carnage pics! We should have a folder just for those.

Looks like you have a hole in your exhaust pipe, and engine block. If you are not into burning used motor oil as fuel such as the multi-fuel can, then I would also suggest the Cummins 8.3. That engine can spin up to 3400rpm (their marine rating, change governor springs to achieve), as where the LDT/LDS 465 engines are speculated to fly apart at anything over 2600rpm or so.

Add me to the list for the dump bed lift mechanism if you are parting.

Csm Davis

Wow, awesome carnage pics! We should have a folder just for those.

Looks like you have a hole in your exhaust pipe, and engine block. If you are not into burning used motor oil as fuel such as the multi-fuel can, then I would also suggest the Cummins 8.3. That engine can spin up to 3400rpm (their marine rating, change governor springs to achieve), as where the LDT/LDS 465 engines are speculated to fly apart at anything over 2600rpm or so.

Add me to the list for the dump bed lift mechanism if you are parting.
Does anyone know for a fact that the 8.3 will fit? If it will that would be a great truck.

red

The 8.3L will fit, it's taller than the LDS but not much. I had the measurements, gotta find them again.

I know the DT466 is slightly smaller than the LDS

Tototex

I don't think I will be parting it out guys.

A guy offered me a really good deal on a Deuce multi fuel. $500 but it doesn't come with any of the attachments. Turbo, etc. Luckily I have those :)

The deuce motor is smaller, but he said its really easy to turn the fuel up and get an extra 30-50 HP out of the engine. Anyone have any input on this?

I'd love to throw a Cummins in there but I imagine the cost will be significantly higher. Anyone know what a Cummins 8.3L will run me?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Buy another multifuel of the same displacement and clean out and reuse all of the good parts on your engine it will have same HP and while you are at it add some ARP rod bolts and a good balance job is money well spent.
Did I miss something? I know the ARP rod bolt idea had been tossed around a great deal, but every time people have asked them it was a unreasonable amount for the bolts. (Like maybe $100 each bolt if memory serves)

A guy offered me a really good deal on a Deuce multi fuel. $500 but it doesn't come with any of the attachments. Turbo, etc. Luckily I have those :)

The deuce motor is smaller, but he said its really easy to turn the fuel up and get an extra 30-50 HP out of the engine. Anyone have any input on this?

I'd love to throw a Cummins in there but I imagine the cost will be significantly higher. Anyone know what a Cummins 8.3L will run me?
You can certainly turn up the fuel on a LDT for more power. But that's just increasing the max fueling and not the overall fueling of the truck. You'll also need to install a EGT gauge and drive it by that gauge at all times.

Csm Davis

Did I miss something? I know the ARP rod bolt idea had been tossed around a great deal, but every time people have asked them it was a unreasonable amount for the bolts. (Like maybe $100 each bolt if memory serves)

You can certainly turn up the fuel on a LDT for more power. But that's just increasing the max fueling and not the overall fueling of the truck. You'll also need to install a EGT gauge and drive it by that gauge at all times.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the only difference between LDS and LDT the cam and fuel injection system? Can't he swap his to the new to him block and not have to worry about it?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the only difference between LDS and LDT the cam and fuel injection system? Can't he swap his to the new to him block and not have to worry about it?
Stuff I know for a fact....

Starter clocked to other other side
Turbos are different
Pistons are different (I've held both sets in my hands before, number of rings are different)
IP is different
Base timing is different.

I *believe* you're correct though that the cam profiles are different.

Csm Davis

Stuff I know for a fact....

Starter clocked to other other side
Turbos are different
Pistons are different (I've held both sets in my hands before, number of rings are different)
IP is different
Base timing is different.

I *believe* you're correct though that the cam profiles are different.
All stuff he has and can move besides maybe the pistons and one ring won't make that much difference.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

I snapped the crank in my wrecker. While looking for a replacement motor, I couldn't find an LDS so I put in an LDT. Once I tuned it, she runs down the road fine.

cherlymo

I don't know how far you would want to travel but I have a friend in Taylorsville, Ms. that might be able to help you. He had several multifuels and even had a 5 ton with a 6-71 Detroit in it. His name is R.K. Hill rkhill187868@hotmail.com . He is just a good ole country boy that likes old military stuff. He will help you if he can.

good luck
Terry

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The truck came to me with the IP turned WAY up. It was so bad that when I pulled away from a stop light, no body else moved for a minute or so. We used to call the wrecker "pig pen".

It was wild how well it would go up hills though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks