• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threw a rod through my engine block.

Tototex

Stuff I know for a fact....

Starter clocked to other other side
Turbos are different
Pistons are different (I've held both sets in my hands before, number of rings are different)
IP is different
Base timing is different.

I *believe* you're correct though that the cam profiles are different.
So your saying the Turbo, pistons, and IP all need to be swapped out?

I'm no mechanic, I probably would have to pay someone to convert the motor from an LDS to an LDT. I probably could swap an LDS to an LDS though. I am good at taking things apart and putting them back together. I would think converting would require some knowledge about the engine though. I'll keep looking motors nearby

I would like to put a Cummins in it but I would imagine that conversion would be a lot more complicated than putting an LDT in it. Also the price for that engine would likely be a lot higher.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not saying they "have" to be be swapped. Just confirming that they are in fact different. There's no way to make a ring without a swap. The turbo is external and could easily be swapped. (Some were wastegated, so I'd advise swapping for it) The IP droop screw can be adjusted for more umph on the top end. Base timing can be changed as well.

If it were me and I had to make a call, I'd either swap for a LDS engine or a cummins conversion. Even a 12v 5.9 cummins has more umph than a stock LDS. If I were going to use the truck as it was designed. If it's nothing more than a toy, the LDT "turned up" would be ok. But only with a EGT gauge in my mind.

Tototex

Not saying they "have" to be be swapped. Just confirming that they are in fact different. There's no way to make a ring without a swap. The turbo is external and could easily be swapped. (Some were wastegated, so I'd advise swapping for it) The IP droop screw can be adjusted for more umph on the top end. Base timing can be changed as well.

If it were me and I had to make a call, I'd either swap for a LDS engine or a cummins conversion. Even a 12v 5.9 cummins has more umph than a stock LDS. If I were going to use the truck as it was designed. If it's nothing more than a toy, the LDT "turned up" would be ok. But only with a EGT gauge in my mind.
While this is a big toy for me, I do plan on hauling gravel. Up some steep hills I might add. She is gonna need power. I tend to abuse my toys so something strong and durable would be preferred. A lof of people keep telling me to get a 8.3L Cummins.

red

The 8.3 is a great motor, but you do pay a premium for the name.

Paid $800 for my DT466 with 150k miles, which is very little mileage.

Csm Davis

So your saying the Turbo, pistons, and IP all need to be swapped out?

I'm no mechanic, I probably would have to pay someone to convert the motor from an LDS to an LDT. I probably could swap an LDS to an LDS though. I am good at taking things apart and putting them back together. I would think converting would require some knowledge about the engine though. I'll keep looking motors nearby

I would like to put a Cummins in it but I would imagine that conversion would be a lot more complicated than putting an LDT in it. Also the price for that engine would likely be a lot higher.
You wouldn't need to swap the pistons but everything else on Drew's list and it would be just remove and replace. The hardest things to get right would be the timing on the cam and IP. and if you swapped the IP there would be no need to turn it up and worry about burning up the motor because you would have a LDS just using the LDT block. It would be the same as going from a carbureted Chevrolet 350 to a TPI Chevrolet 350.
Now if you have the money for an 8.3 buy it you will be happy you did, I think it would be the best engine replacement you could put in there. Also shouldn't be real hard to swap. It boils down to money and what you want to do with your truck want to keep it original or modified, I think each has its ups and downs and it will be a good truck whichever way you choose.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As stated, I would swap in the "bolt on" LDS parts.

If I were to swap out for "some other" motor, the 466 would be the motor of choice for me, but I think you can get a good running 6cta from Glen in Kansas for 7 or $800.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......... but I think you can get a good running 6cta from Glen in Kansas for 7 or $800.
That's cheap but then he would also have to find a flywheel ($200+) plus corresponding clutch kit ($400+) and make it all work, with the existing transmission.

Cheapest & easiest solution: ... stay with the good old "Multi".

G.

red

The 3116 should have an SAE #2 bell housing, if it does then it will bolt up to the stock trans.

If he has the 8.3L Cummins for that cheap in working condition that would be a wonderful upgrade.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I agree with the dt466 swap. They are abundant and produce tons of power. There is a box truck here in memphis with 90k on it and they want 4000 for it. So you would have an air ride seat. Extra fuel tank. Engine with intercooler and junk the rest. Or keep the box for a workshed and junk the rest and may get a good bit of the 4000 back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks