• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires, can it really be this hard??

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From seeing both M939 and M939a1,a2 trucks in the log woods, there is no comparison between singles vs duals when off-road. Singled out trucks will go places you can't even attempt with a dual truck.

Droppedadeuce

By far the best mod I did was 395's on MRAP wheels... The stock ndcc's did ok in mud on the rear, the front would always sink... The 395's float a little better in the front now. On sand, dirt/snow/asphalt there is absolutely no comparison. I used to get stuck plowing with the ndcc's in 6x6..... last year I never went into 6x6 at all for snow. I use my deuce for work, carrying my scrap metal to the scrap yard every week (I own a welding shop), and I load it up, usually ~12,000 lbs per week sometimes more sometimes less. The tires do not care, even at 40 psi they run cool, show now signs of being overloaded. Steering is the same basically; I do have air assist as it came with the truck so I cant say without.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The load rating of the 395 Michelin XZL's on my deuce are rated at 12,330 lbs. each. The 1400 x 20s on my 5 ton are "only" 9,960 lbs.

David IPFD

Rustystud’s comment is something i have not considered i believe the water tank is a 650 gallon so water weight is about 5200 not including the original bed pump, hose reel, plumbing and firefighters. My main concern was for space using a larger tire like the 365s or 395s in the 85R and the chance of damage from mesquite trees being caught in a smaller area.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It doesn't matter singles or duals. Singles are better off road and have a higher weight rating. Some feel as duals means you have a spare built in, that only works at low speed. Crusher had a flat on one of his duals during a recovery, he said there was no way he could continue on without removing the flat. Slow speed, maybe, but not driving "at speed".

Ultimately, its your choice, but it sounds like you have singles on it already. I'd stick with the singles and maybe go up a size. Just my thoughts on the matter.

tobyS

So you can go to 395's and from what i understand, they will mount on the A3 rim. Check specifically with G on the issue of metric and industrial, but if you have an A3, you already have 365's, singled.

If by some chance you would want to duel up the rear, then 11.00 is the same revs/mile as the 365. You would keep the 365 on the front and replace the A3 rims with budds on the rear and the G177 tire (use radial tube)...nice!!!

PM me if that is the way you would go, I'd be interested in the take off wheels and have some 6 lug budds...trade

Csm Davis

Check specifically with G on the issue of metric and industrial, but if you have an A3, you already have 365's, singled.

If by some chance you would want to duel up the rear, then 11.00 is the same revs/mile as the 365. You would keep the 365 on the front and replace the A3 rims with budds on the rear and the G177 tire (use radial tube)...nice!!!
This is the best overall in my opinion. 14.5 or 365 on front for better floatation and G177 dually in rear.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You have to be careful with 365s!

If its a 365/85r20, its not the same, its too big. If its the 365/80r20 its the same(as a 14.50).

rustystud

This truck is not an A3. It's a A2, he just has access to larger tires from the gov. surplus. I still say stay with the 9.00-20 or 11.00-20 at most. When they start breaking axles because of the extra strain who's house or property is going to burn down because they couldn't get there ? Unless they want to upgrade to "oversons" 2" axles and high strength gears leave the tires stock.

rustystud

So what about post #29???

Besides that, A2 and A3's share exactly the same axles...
And there is a (good)reason the military adopted these MPT tires to put on the M35A3...

G.
I guess thats what I get for not checking ! I was refering to the wheels myself in my post. Still the military never used 395's on a deuce did they Gerhard ? But let him use what he wants after all it's only lives where talking about here and the cool factor far outways anything else.

tobyS

Its not the cool factor, its (more)speed, load capacity, and off road performance. IMHO

The 365/80r20 has a weight rating around 7,800 per tire. The G177 has a weight rating around 6,800. So with (4) 365's the total is 31,200 and with (8) G177's the total is 54,400.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks