• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires for M1009

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Just wondering..

What would you guys recommend as a all terrain tire for the M1009?

I would like to keep the stock tire size:
31/10.00R15LT (Load range C) Steel Belted Radials

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you......

Midnight Rider

I'm currently running General Tire Grabber series tires. I can't remember the exact one. I think it's the AT series.

Decent tread on them, so I think they will be ok for what I do.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been running Firestone Destination A/T's for the last 7k miles. I don't do a whole lot of Offroading and they're pretty quiet for an "all terrain".
I have the same tires on my '86 M1009. Got them mounted, balanced, taxes and fees for $623.00 out the door for the four.

Haven't put but a couple of hundred feet on them, so can't comment on them...

... but the price was the cheapest I could find in town (TN) for stock sized A/T M1009 tires... :-D

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the advice..

Would those hmmwv radials fit on a 15" wheel that would fit on an M1009?

Also, any advice on what brand, cost, and where to find a lift kit, etc?

Thank you, good night,

cucv1833

Threadwrights still sells the A/T re-threads in 31's. cheap too

I wanted some 33's but they quit making them in that size. I want something decent and cheap cause this aint my daily driver

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's on my 1009. I LOVE THEM! They are great for all weather conditions and stick to the road like glue. This truck is my daily driver. They've gotten me out of some tight spots around town. They have a nice road hum at speed but it's not overpowering or annoying. It's not too bad with the truck at 70 MPH either. I highly recommend these tires.

Danger Ranger

Ok, I'm gonna get my 6cents in....(2 per tire...lol)

1. Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx this is a relatively new tire, and a good slightly aggressive all terrain. Cooper makes good stuff, including all the tires for Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, and MasterCraft.

2. Cooper Discoverer A/T3 this is another good one from Cooper, and it does wonderfully in snow, ice, and such. My friends light truck has them and we take it out all the time, the tires are great. We can really tell the difference between these and his last set (these are a recent addition to the truck).Everything I have read on them shows they have great treadwear too.
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Tire Comparison

3. Falken High Country A/T Saw these in the 4x4 mags and they looked sweet. Relatively aggressive all terrain tire with good handling and wear, the editors of the mag loved them on their rigs for the tests.

Attachments

Last edited:

DXTAC

Treadwright's version of the BF AT's. I've been running them for almost two years and haven't had an issue. I have pulled my camper on 4 trips ranging from 100-800 miles each, survived two Chicago winters and done quite a bit of mudding and trail riding and like I stated above, not one issue.

TireRack has them for $169 each or Treadwright's for $98.

This will probably open a can of worms. But they've proven themselves to me.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

I'm running 33x12.5x15's on mine.
One set of Toyo MT's. The other one has ProComp M/T's.
Both are relatively quite.
The Toyo's are mounted on 15x10 steel wheels, with a 3.5" back space. The backspace requies a lift kit. I did a 4" for good clearance.
The other one is on stock rims, minus new springs and shocks.
I like the 33's for the extra speed I get on the highway, still does good in the mud and offroad.