• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires for M1009

shaker

I am getting 12-14 mpgs but with everyones replys of my poor mpgs one reply really stuck out. The reply was asking me if my speedo was working in good order and the answer is no my speedo is off by a country mile. I could be doing 55 mph in my gps and it will show me doing 45 mph. By it doing that it is not adding up the actual miles I am traveling. I have bought a new speedo cable and it did not fix this issue. I just do not know if is the gear inside the tranny that controls it or the speedo head itself. I had a buddy tell me since the truck had set up since 2006 I might need to spray some wd-40 in the back of the speedo were the cable plugs into it. but not sure on that.

tbearatkin

I am getting 12-14 mpgs but with everyones replys of my poor mpgs one reply really stuck out. The reply was asking me if my speedo was working in good order and the answer is no my speedo is off by a country mile. I could be doing 55 mph in my gps and it will show me doing 45 mph. By it doing that it is not adding up the actual miles I am traveling. I have bought a new speedo cable and it did not fix this issue. I just do not know if is the gear inside the tranny that controls it or the speedo head itself. I had a buddy tell me since the truck had set up since 2006 I might need to spray some wd-40 in the back of the speedo were the cable plugs into it. but not sure on that.

If you do not have stock tires on the vehicle you speedometer will be off. It is calibrated to the tire size that is recommended by the manufacture. Anything else and your speedometer will not be correct.

Speedometer Calibration / Tire Size Change Calculator

shaker

I have just came across a tire the size is 33x13.50x15 Nitto Mud Grappler. I am wondering if they will fit with the stock ride height? It seems like I have plenty of clearance for a 33 inch tire (in theory).

southdave

speedo gear in transfer case I belive the stock gear is yellow.. BTW they are plastic... I could be wrong on color been a while since I messed with them..
Side bar..
Shacker you have previous mention your milage.. check the number on the IP and injectors... I wouldn't be surprised if some hmmvee parts haven,t migrated to your motor..

I have just came across a tire the size is 33x13.50x15 Nitto Mud Grappler. I am wondering if they will fit with the stock ride height? It seems like I have plenty of clearance for a 33 inch tire (in theory).
Here is what a 33" looks like on stock suspension.
BFG AT T/A 33X12.50-15

photo(3).jpg

Not much room here, in fact they needed trimming on the rear of the front fender wells.
See this page for more shots...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tock-rims-and-suspension-31-or-33-tires/page2

Im definately going to put on a 2.5" lift to help the height.

GreggVA

There is also an adapter on the speedometer cable (see tm9-2320-289-34p - page 662 - item 8 ) which has a ratio gearing in it of about 1:1.25. You can run without the adapter but it will lower your speedometer reading by the ratio amount which is about what you are stating.

Anubis8472

Yes and no.

It's a close call and really depends on how much sag you have in your front springs.
These diesels are heavy and these springs are old.

I've had 33x13.5's on a civy K-5.
I needed to remove the full length factory running boards (these trucks don't have).
Without the running boards the only clearance issue was on a heavy deflection, full steering, off-road the tire could actually flex far enough (low tire pressure) to snag the grease boot on one of the steering joints.
So the simple answer is yes, they'll fit without serious issues.

Add the heavy engine and years of potential spring sag and it's likely you could have minor clearance issues with the rear fender.(I should say rear of the front fender)
My civy K-5 was old to ('78 ) but it was a much lighter inline six.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Treadwright Warden AT's. EXACTLY like BF's except only $98 a piece! You may have to order them and wait to get them but I LOVE mine and have been running them for almost 3 years.
Ok we get it, you like Treadwright tires...... But I also like them as well since I have two sets of 265/75R16 on my CUCV vehicles. Price is great and I have never read or heard about anything bad with these tires. I know everyone is saying all these different brands, but for $100 a tire it is a great deal with good looking tires. If and when I need 31" tires they will be Treadwright, but as noted they do not offer the 33" anymore and that is due to not getting good castings anymore.

BIG_RED

My 1986 M1009 clears BFG TA/KO 33X10.5R15's on stock rims with stock suspension. They don't rub at all. Unless maybe I hit a speedbump with the wheel totally cranked at a good speed. Even during offroading they haven't been a problem. Great all around tire. Do well on ice too (very important up here in Canada). Not the greatest mud tire but I'm very happy with mine. Extremely tough sidewalls. I love 'em.

CUCVSRK

I have the original spare tire in the back of the truck and I plan upon buying 5 new ones when I come up with the money it is good year wrangler a/t I'll get you exactly what it is when I get home

shaker

I have figured out that the plastic gear is surly a yellow 41 tooth gear, I looked at teh gear everything looks perfect. However, where the cable screws into the plastic gear is wallowed out and the cable looks to be slipping inside so I ordered a new one just waiting for it to come in. By the way what adapter are yall talking about on my M1009 it only has the cable a housing the yellow gear and that is it?

CucVee-E

Don 32 11.50 15 will work best with the stock elevation.

CJ Yokohama Geolandar AT/S is the best bang for the buck according to consumer reports and myself as I have a set in the stock size. They are 50K mike rated, are quiet, and have great on and off road traction.
I am shopping for tires today, i am a little overwhelmed and cannot seem to pull a trigger. I seem to only find these on ebay / online.

before you get to deep in the woods on a lift and what not and larger tires, something to consider is new leaf springs. I got a new set of leaf springs from sd truck springs online and wow, what a difference in height and ride quality. After 31 years the old leafs had grown tired to say the least. I went with the HD model for the Blazer as I run a very robust bumper up front with monster winch and a snow plow in the winter. They didn't cost but a couple hundred dollars either, so I was very pleased.

Installing these might have just saved me from so much front fender trimming. I run 33x12.5x15's on the old girl and use the goodyear wrangler duratracs what an exceptional tire for my needs. Works very well in mud, snow and sand I also run the same tire in the deep winter but had my spare set studded for the ice, simply amazing! The Blazer has got to be the best vehicle I have ever run with studded tires in the mountains. Tight turning radius is exceptional for plowing too, cant see how folks plow with full sized pick ups anymore. We have pickups as well and the balance is off along with the turning radius, anyways good luck

Ilikemtb999

You have no idea just how much stock original springs sag till they get replaced. I did a 2" lift from tuff country and it raised my blazer up 5"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks