• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a Deuce with a Deuce

Stouttrout

Going to recover a Tank truck i bought. It is not far from the house. maybe 15 miles. Any Advice on using the tow bar? it was killing me just sitting there so i had to buy another :D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make sure you inflate the front tires on the towed deuce to their max rated psi. Pull the spline caps and the axles. Unplug the intank fuel pump, turn on the hazard lights. Set it all in motion.

AndrewH

I have flat towed a deuce behind my deuce just pull the driveshafts off of the axles. I left the frond caps. Don't know if it matters. Also, INFLATE the fronts! Gimpy is right, that will make your life easier. AndrewH

jwaller

it would really help to put a few thousand lb's in the bed of the one doing the pulling and go slow. brakes will be really straining to slow you down.

do not try and tow across anything but pavement and even then watch the truck being towed very carefully as it's front wheels will like to snap to full lock very quickly and easily.

no need to pull any driveshafts. just put the transfer case in N and your good to go.

Stouttrout

Checked tonight and I have just a little over 9 miles to go down a back road. Only 3 turns all the way home.:) Gonna do it nice and slow. No hurry at all :) I think I will do the tcase in Neutral thing. Alot easier. We do it to Jeeps all the time. For 10 miles it should be fine. i will take some pics and post them up.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have someone turn the truck at the 3 corners.. they like to turn the opposite from what I have seen...off pavement ..That close you have it made!!!!
You can also tie off the steering wheel with some rubber tarp straps......the straps will pull the wheel back to center when you turn a corner.

I pulled one 70 miles and made quite a few turns...the wheels always came back to the correct position.

Stouttrout

Thanks Wrecker. I will try that. I will most likely be working alone. yes I was lucky to find one this close and it came in under a grand. I'm Happy so far :D

KsM715

Disconnect the in-tank pump so when you turn the mstr switch on for the hazzard lights the pump isnt trying to pump fuel the whole time your towing the truck.

emr

Good luck, U really do not need to pull anything, they have been flat towed in service for many a thousands of miles, best advsie is, air up front tires, I am skeptacle of tying off any wheels, i have towbarred for many many miles, got to be around a thousand, the electric switch thing is a good call too...

The G Man

Good advice here...I rolled with alot for a while behind other deuces...I like the bungee straps on wheel tires aired up and always cut down on fuel pump wear...Those are hard to find and way to expensive when you do.. Good luck..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just a little lost with the in tank pump thing here. Are you folks suggesting that the accessory power switch needs to be on to run the emergency flashers?

Stagg

My Flashers work without the Accessory Switch 'ON'
Although you do have to turn the headlight switch to 'SERVICE LIGHT' that allows the flashers and brake lights to work (not that you'll be using the brakes with just your lonesome)

For that matter do the brake lights work at all, if there is zero air pressure?

Stouttrout

I am not even going to worry about the lights. Besides this one has not batts in it. it does but they are dead. Since I will be only on the back roads, I plan to wear my OD green hat, my tan shirt, and throw and flashing yellow light on the rear of the truck :D in this area that will get me just about anywhere i need to go :D

tm america

I would be really carefull about putting a buggie cord on the steering wheel if it slips of or breaks it will most likely break a window to. No need to unplug the fuel pump just leave the master cut off switch in the off position.I woulld make sure the tires are properly air up.Weight in the back of the tow vehicle is a good idea to . 9 miles is like a drive across the yard you will be ok just give yourself plentty of room to stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks