• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a deuce

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had a driver for the deuce and it had good brakes you could "move'" it successfully from one location to another. Provided the road conditions were right and each driver had a decent amount of common sense and teamwork.

If I were broke down (say engine related) a short distance from home, I would probably just drag her home. It just depends on where it's at and where you're trying to go.

It sounds no more unsafe than putting a dumptruck, a genset and a few dogs on a gooseneck and dragging it with a lifted ole 3/4 ton. And everyone applauded that.

If the deuce you're trying to move has no brakes you're outta luck IMHO.

This would be ILLEGAL in pretty much every state, your milage may vary, objects are closer than they appear.

Last edited:

emr

A driver in the towed vehicle is very illegal....and the wieght would be a problem in court also for sure if there were a problem, there are a heck of alot of tickets in this idea on a public road, but like i said I would do it on a private road ..... just sayin.

Last edited:

rat4spd

A driver in the towed vehicle is very illegal....and the wieght would be a problem in court also for sure if there were a problem, there are a heck of alot of tickets in this idea on a public road, but like i said I would do it on a private road ..... just sayin.
More illegal than towing it in the first place?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having a driver is no more illegal than exceding the weight limit. I think they both are ticketable offenses.

Seems odd that we applaud 'gettin it done' when we grossly overload trailers, but just trying to move a truck a few miles is insane. Plenty of 'get er done' threads on getting M105s home. Sometimes 100s of miles on homemade hitches and small SUVs pulling and stacked double high.

It needs to be able to steer and stop. That's all.

Like I said - if my deuce is broke a few miles down the road - I'm calling for my wife to bring my 3/4 ton and we're gonna drag it home. Not down the freeway, not through rush hour, but she's coming home. ILLEGALLY.

I hope that we point out EVERY single thread were an illegal tow is performed..........

aua

emr

I for one NEVER applaud the getting it done idea of doing anything illegal,And NEVER overload period, i talked bad about the guys who put a deuce on a flat deck behind a pickup also so please do not add that to my statement, I really am just stating facts. and yes the first is already illegal, and adding a driver would add a ticket, , its unsafe. and as for the idea of hey its already illegal so I wont get a ton more tickets just does not work, I actually walk the walk i talk on the road for sure...I would not do it,I have pulled my 813 around the shop with my f350 a few times but would never take such a chance on a public road ever.... its not worth it to me. ....just sayin...

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed deuces around my place (off road only) with my 3/4 ton Dodge. I'll tell you when that deuce decides to go left or right when you want to go straight it will just jerk the back of that Dodge around like it's nothing. There is no way I would attempt to pull one down the road any faster than low gear with my Dodge.

As it has been said before, always make sure the tow vehicle is as big or bigger than the towed vehicle. There is a big difference in flat towing something and hauling something on a trailer.

jwaller

you could flat tow it with a chain or strap but I'd never towbar it.

my dad in his 2500 chevy towed my 14,500lb deuce about 50 miles in the dead of night on I-20 at about 55mph. key to it all was I was driving the deuce and brakes so I could stop myself and steep myself.

it was the fastest my deuce has or will ever accelerate.

Stan Leschert

If you were operating under combat conditions, yes you could.... if you really had to. In the land of peace, I would highly not reccomend it. You don't have the weight or the brakes to do this. If it meant saving lives, well maybe.
If it means saving some bucks, Forget it.

Reactions: emr

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way this would be remotely safe is to have somebody in the deuce to help steer and brake but as said above, this is illegal also.

DanMartin

As the original poster said in his reply, this guy needs to get a wrecker to tow it. 10 miles can't be that expensive (relative to the risk involved doing it otherwise). Low drama, high safety by just calling in a pro.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks