• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two new toys unimog 404

Ferretboy

My 404 .1 must have different shifters....the hand brake is nowhere close to the 4x4 shifter...great you got to drive around im sure thats a good feeling...best of luck..

joeblack5

Well maybe 2+ inches....but ive never busted my knuckles...yet...small hands i guess !!!
Haha, I guess since mine was stuck I was putting some uncontrolled force on it . Maybe it is bend over a little bit, or maybe the manual says that you need to have work gloves on?

Any idea about the unknown items I have posted?

Ferretboy

Well i didnt see the post of things you found but when i do ill give it a bash....S.W.A.G.....scientific wild ass guess...ha ha...

Ferretboy

Oh yes...the part that is next to a tire in the photo is the rack to hold the rolled up bed tarp....it mounts on front of the bed....easy!!!!...the other part??? never seen before.

Ferretboy

The second part you have looks like a guard for a front mounted implement...but the small red handle throws me off...im not sure...there were many attatchments...keep looking youll find it...im sure.

joeblack5

The first one made it home. Did not go passed 60 km/h . Need to get used to reverse only in low gear. Now I can work easily on the electric , rust while me and the wife are getting used to the new grocery getter.IMG_20200523_134457_167.jpg

joeblack5

Moved on with electric..suddenly the driver door got stuck.. The limiter was bent and the frame it was attached to was bend as well. After some trying to bend backwards the whole piece came of. What to do.... Straightened the door post..reworked the spot welds so that they would fit into the original location. To get best strength out of screws and the limited space I ground a flat spot on the head so that when stuck in from the back they would not be able to rotate and be as close to the strong corner as possible.. IMG_20200523_173758_700.jpgIMG_20200523_175356_359.jpg
These are metric M5 screws.

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture of the tubular thing is undoubtedly a step, I think. See the treadplate on the bottom? Looks like the top two tubes slide into receivers and the third arm, with red paint, bolts up to hold the step in. Maybe look around the underside of your bed to find the receiver for the step? I would look specifically in the rear center where a shelter door would be.

Last edited:

joeblack5

More electric today... Cleaned some of the fuse contacts. Replaced rear light bulb.. Cleaned turn switch.. All is working except the wipers...
Any of you seen the animation movie coco about the remembrance of the dead... Funny coincidence with memorial day.

Anyhow when I was 12 our next door neighbour ,Mr. Peterse, was a mechanic in a Mercedes truck garage in the Netherlands. He had three sons but non interested in tech stuff. He sometimes brought home from work leftover electrical parts for me to study.
First a front head light. Then a voltage controller for a dynamo.. Then a wipermotor. I played around with the wiper motor a lot and used it in my erector set. It was my first electric motor and since it had a field coil it could run on AC voltage from the bell transformer that my grandfather had given me.
So I tear this Mog wipermotor apart and recognized it right there. Only this one had a permanent magnet.
It is an interesting design..the rotor can be replaced in 5 min, so do the brushes. In this case the stator had moved a little and rested against the rotor so that it would not spin anymore. Some readjusting and back in business.
Anyhow so it was nice to remember Mr. Peterse and the parts he brought home to stimulate my curiosity... Thank you.. IMG_20200524_173134_080.jpg

Ferretboy

Teen mogger is to credit for the best lead....a step....i have to do all the net work on a cell phone....small photos.....didnt see the diamond plate step....great work teenmogger...

joeblack5

I think it might have been a fire truck in a previous life.. There is red under the green paint. Maybe this bed belongs to the other truck.. Not all bolts are in. Thank you..both.. With that resolved I can see if the camper build has an application for it..

Today I took the remaining air pressure gauge out.. Looking for a voltmeter and a tacho. My temp gauge is dead.. Anybody has any dead gauges they want to part with.. I have a dual air pressure gauge with some if the original piping for who needs it.

Ferretboy

Oh. ..many years ago a fellow unimog owner ask me if i wanted a copy of my mogs data card....i gave him the i.d.number and he sent a copy of a data card from daimler benz with all the info my unimog came from the factory with....numbers of engine ...gearbox...axles....steering box...the brand of tires...even that it was equipped with a heater...nice still have it...i dont know how you can get a copy of yours...but there must be a way....that was nearly 30 years ago and i cant recall the fellow owners name.

joeblack5

Plowed on a little. The driver door handle was loose. The rivets in the handle were broken and the rubber gasket long gone. Made a new gasket from edm rubber. One of the original holes in the door was a little of set and as a result there must have been more stress on the handle since it was not aligned properly with the lock. Redrilled the hole and tapped M5. Mounted again. All good. The bottom of the door is rotted out. Found a piece of stainless and will try to make a new bottom.

got a tachometer from the junkyard out of a Mack truck. Just to big for the plugged hole next to the speedo /odo... Reading up some ... that hole is for the defroster kit.. hmmm now what.

Ferretboy

Life would be too simple without a challenge from time to time...thats what makes it fun....gives your mind a workout....good for the soul...you shall overcome these things....but be careful of parts and pieces you think you may want to rid yourself of...you may need them in the future....been there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks