• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under bed gooseneck hitch for Deuce

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to find that pulling a heavy trailer with a deuce is going to be a slow go.......the normal deuce multi-fuel is around 140 HP.....an LDS will bump it up to 180 or so. It will fall flat on it's face on a hill.

The deuce was made to pull heavy loads over rough terrain at low speeds.....it is never going to be a good over the road hauler for heavy loads.

Speed is not my primary concern when moving heavy loads with a Deuce.

mudguppy

try the data plate on the dash; likely it says something like max towed load is 6k# offroad and 10k# highway.

so w/ a 30k trailer being somewhere around 5-6k# empty, that leaves you with about 4k# of load to put on the trailer.

seems a bit excessive amount of trailer.

Bighurt

try the data plate on the dash; likely it says something like max towed load is 6k# offroad and 10k# highway.

so w/ a 30k trailer being somewhere around 5-6k# empty, that leaves you with about 4k# of load to put on the trailer.

seems a bit excessive amount of trailer.
I agree, but remember that rating is based on the pintle and not a goose-neck or fifth wheel configuration.

If you look up the ratings pin weight and tow capacity for the M275 or the tractor version of the M35 you'll get better rating.

12000 and 36000 towed highway

I'm not saying that is legit but a number between the two is within its capabilities.

Bighurt

yeah, i knew someone would bring up pintle vs illegitimate GN.

good luck grossing 43k in a 130hp deuce.
Travis I wasn't a proponent of the illegitimate GN in the first place.

Any M35 series truck isn't going to be towing anything at a high rate of speed anyways. Besides HP isn't everything torque and proper gearing are the key to moving heavy loads.

An M35 with a serious load will fall on it's face in a hill anyways, I'm not sure why anyone intends to make it try. I have an M915 for a reason... the M35 isn't enough for what I intend to move. Mostly because it's a not a tractor.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I'm planning on doing when I get a gooseneck. Convert the trailer to pintle instead of convering the truck. The idea I had was to have the hitch pinned on at the back so it can be removed to tow with a regular truck. There's a thread around here somewhere with pics where somebody has already done this but I can't find it.

Anyway, here is my attempt to draw out what I'm talking about. The black lines are the gooseneck trailer and the red lines are a fabbed up piece of tubing that has pins attaching it to the trailer at the back of the neck, a ball welded on it at the factory hitch, and a lunette added on the end.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I'm planning on doing when I get a gooseneck. Convert the trailer to pintle instead of convering the truck. The idea I had was to have the hitch pinned on at the back so it can be removed to tow with a regular truck. There's a thread around here somewhere with pics where somebody has already done this but I can't find it.

Ok, I found the link where somebody has already done this.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/54202-hay-train.html

I don't think this type of hitch would draw any more attention from the cops than a hitch on the truck that's hanging way out the back. To me, this is the way to go if you're pulling a gooseneck with a deuce. I'd just as soon leave the hitch on the back of my truck alone.

There's no reason to make the hitch as big as the trailer frame either. The factory gooseneck hitch is still supporting most of the weight.

Last edited:

ApopkaFL

Banned
I think the Hay Train looks great. That is awsome ideal, it always amaze me to see the mods everyone comes up with. Now its time to design one for a 5th wheel.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Anyway, here is my attempt to draw out what I'm talking about. The black lines are the gooseneck trailer and the red lines are a fabbed up piece of tubing that has pins attaching it to the trailer at the back of the neck, a ball welded on it at the factory hitch, and a lunette added on the end.
This is an interesting concept.

I ponder the need to have the Lunette Ring (aka "pintle") removable from your trailer's gooseneck structure.

If the lunette ring was extended about 18" forward from the vertical post on the trailer, it should clear all obstacles on the back of the Deuce AND still be within acceptable limits on a typical pick-up's "swing clearance" forward of it's fifthwheel or ball.

There would be nothing removable, not risk of injury manhandling the "adapter bar", just the presence of both hitching options all the time.

Any thoughts????

Bighurt

This is an interesting concept.

I ponder the need to have the Lunette Ring (aka "pintle") removable from your trailer's gooseneck structure.

If the lunette ring was extended about 18" forward from the vertical post on the trailer, it should clear all obstacles on the back of the Deuce AND still be within acceptable limits on a typical pick-up's "swing clearance" forward of it's fifthwheel or ball.

There would be nothing removable, not risk of injury manhandling the "adapter bar", just the presence of both hitching options all the time.

Any thoughts????
An 18" lunette ring attached to the king pin would create some interesting clearance issues in the back of certain hauler boxes...

Bighurt

I realize that specific tow vehicle clearances would have to be factored in. Yet I suppose that it could also be "used" as a theft deterent [thumbzup]rofl
I was going to edit my response to add that you could just fab up an lunette insert as the actual hitch on the Gooseneck is adjustable, and replaceable. In fact I was looking through these catalogs at some of the optional inserts.

I myself want a king pin option so I can haul my GN with my M915. But I have this feeling I've seen the lunette ring option in the past. Unfortunately I haven't found it.

I've seen quite a few people put super hitches on their M35's. With one of those you could easily add the ball and drop the GN on that...

I realize your solution was one to combine efforts, however I personally don't like the idea of another protrusion to worry about, either in my bed or finding it with my head...

Sometimes there is no perfect solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks