• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unloading my new M35A3

metexaco

No, but I had surgery the next morning after unloading this truck and haven't had a chance to out and check anything yet! I am still laid up with my knee! ****, it may me low on fluid or something very simple. I just was trying to get a head start on things to check out when I do get back on my feet... Hopefully, It will be an easy fix and not a major trans problem. If it is too major I'll just sell it to someone with more time and money. I haven't even got to climb up in it yet, and I hate that.
Anyway time will tell!!
Unorthodox but effective! Hope you get it worked out.

Did you have foreknowledge of the Allison problems?

Nonotagain

The M35A3 will have either an Allison AT545 or a AT1545 transmission.

Just about any school bus that has an auto transmission uses this transmission.

As mentioned, just Google up Allison AT545 transmission, lots of hits. Same for Ebay.

Do yourself a favor, have the transmission serviced and get that crap engine oil out of it and have an Allison approved fluid installed with new filters.

Getting the CTIS up and working isn't worth the trouble as the system is very slow to re-inflate since it will only inflate due to a smallish on-board compressor.

greenjeepster

No, it wasn't making any noices! Just didn't seem to be hitting in the right spot to go it to the forward positiion.
Maybe you will get lucky and it is just a linkage issue. I have a lot of experience with their 4000 series and when they go it is always the forward gears first, but usually you still have a squealing noise in drive.

The a3 has a 500 series AT1545P, it's an oddball and other than a3s haven't really been put into much.

greenjeepster

Met:

I would start with the actual shifter. I don't know about getting into those and repairing them... Anytime my shop has an issue with one they just replace it.

Mitymac

Check the linkage right at transmission. Have someone move shift lever back and forth, see if it is moving. Block wheels, parking brake, place in transfer case in neutral. Shift forward reverse see if output shaft spins. Mine would do nothing and in 5 mins trans temp went high. It was toast. I just got mine back from shop. $2100 removed rebuilt, replaced. He even traded in 2 old chev pickups.

maxspeed250

Just because you CAN rig a load a certain way, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it that way. Did anyone even bother to look at the load data plaques on those forklifts?

lonegunman

I'm one of the few people here that actually owns and drives an A3. I heard all the usual stuff about the truck having a crap engine and junk trans. None of it is correct and most of it is not true. As far as the trans, check the fluid level first. The dip stick is under the passenger side matte.

The trans service kit is available from any truck parts place, the external trans filter is a Baldwin, the trans can be serviced and refilled with ATF instead of the motor oil the Army uses with no problems. The shifter is dirt common as well and the linkage is pretty straight forward.

Any one with experience on commerical trucks can give it a once over with no problems. The engine is in thousands of things from RV's, generators to school buses and GM Top Kick trucks and many have hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. Most of the rest of the truck is straight M35 and can be found anyplace.

I had my truck serviced by the local Cat dealer after I picked it up. He owed my brother a favor so it got cheaper. I had them service the driveline, change fluids and do an overhead on the engine. The overhead by the way is recommended after the forst 500 hours of engine operation and every 1000 hours or 100,000 miles after that. So for most A3 drivers it is a once in a lifetime tune.

The Cat dealer had no problem finding anything he needed to get my truck squared away in the local area. They even had the engine profile information in their computer in the mil-spec. Mine runs great and flew through emissions with no problem either.

I then drove my truck 2500 miles home and did not use anything other than diesel and a quart of oil. Some of the help and offers of assistance I got from a few folks here made the trip al lot less scary knowing there were a few friends along the way if disaster struck.

Erik's Military Surplus was and is a great place for A3 parts. Erik has a ton of good information and is will to share it for free. His prices are reasonable as well. Erik answered my power steering questions asap and that allowed me to get things adjusted before I hit the road. He also had all of the bits and pieces I needed once i had some time under my belt with the truck.

As far as CTIS, mine has been trouble free ever since I cut it off. It really is not worth messing with most of the time. I drove trucks with it on active duty and nearly all of them had problems as well. Just by an air hose to service your truck off the glad handle like everyone else.

Last edited:

SEAFIRE

Got my new M35A3 in last week so thought I would add unloading photos of it.
metexaco, did you get that truck from the Federal surplus yard in San Antonio?

It sure looks like the tan A3 that used to be there, down to the missing wheel covers and green door. We looked at it, but it seemed to have too many problems, they only wanted $1275 for it at the time.

We were told that the truck was either in a small accident, or hit by an IED and repaired somewhat.

Attachments

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It sure looks like the tan A3 that used to be there, down to the missing wheel covers and green door. We looked at it, but it seemed to have too many problems, they only wanted $1275 for it at the time.

We were told that the truck was either in a small accident, or hit by an IED and repaired somewhat.
Yes its from GSA in SA. I took a gander at it too.

metexaco

Thanks for all the information! Much appreciated!!!
I'm one of the few people here that actually owns and drives an A3. I heard all the usual stuff about the truck having a crap engine and junk trans. None of it is correct and most of it is not true. As far as the trans, check the fluid level first. The dip stick is under the passenger side matte.
quote]

metexaco

What all problems did it have? It sure seems to run and look real good. One of the most cleaniest trucks I have seen in a long time. The photo you have it still had the lights on it, the were stolen afterwards. The door is brand new and the inside of the cab is excellent. I bought a new tire for $100 to replace the one that the forklift cut. So as soon as I can get back on my feet after knee surgery I am going to get on it. Thanks for the photo.

combat32

John is sure looks good to me, hope the trans issue is an easy fix for you.I can tell you from the pics that this truck came from Fort Irwin California from the bumper numbers, my first unit the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.

Heck, I have driven off of higher places than that in a deuce!Working on gettin you another tire or two.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks