• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade complete

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it poss to get back keyboard scrolling in the drop-down menu of subforums? I don't find it as useful to have to mouse to the scroll bar.

Goose2448

One thing I am not liking after using it for a while is when I click on Steel Soldiers, it brings up the forum menu. I preferred the old way where it brought up the latest updated threads. That's what it would bring up on my book marked page of steelsoliders.com. That was nice. I don't like this activity thing, where it tells you who is doing what. While its cool and all, I don't care what PHD or anyone else has just done.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing I am not liking after using it for a while is when I click on Steel Soldiers, it brings up the forum menu. I preferred the old way where it brought up the latest updated threads. That's what it would bring up on my book marked page of steelsoliders.com. That was nice. I don't like this activity thing, where it tells you who is doing what. While its cool and all, I don't care what PHD or anyone else has just done.
Do people just keep on jumping back on the site, skipping over any content of the thread, and post up the same thing over and over again?

This has been covered. Repeatedly.

Goose2448

Has it? Sorry. I admit I skipped the 10 pages from last night to this afternoon. I understand that those options are there and how to get to them. I was just stating the fact that I liked when you clicked the Steel Soldiers logo, it took you to the updated threads, not forums lists.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha just discovered the best thing about the site upgrade, the members now outnumber the guests based on the google links being broken

159 members on now versus 132 guests

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ha just discovered the best thing about the site upgrade, the members now outnumber the guests based on the google links being broken

159 members on now versus 132 guests
I don't see whare it shows the member or guest numbers

nf6x

Feral Engineer
We could attach pics in PMs before. I don't know if we still can, but I did notice that a picture in a PM that I viewed just before the upgrade no longer showed up just after the upgrade.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, simple question. Could we attach pics in PM's before? Because I can't now. And if I am missing something, how do you? And if not, could we get that at some point, it would be nice.
We could attach pics in PMs before. I don't know if we still can, but I did notice that a picture in a PM that I viewed just before the upgrade no longer showed up just after the upgrade.
Unfortunately the addon that makes that work isn't supported in 4.2. Until it's supported, I recommend using email.

Goose2448

Oh and why can I send myself a PM? All I wanted to do was send another PM to the same member, and ended up replying to my own message, which sent it to myself. Not saying this didn't happen before, but seems kinda pointless. I know I can text myself or call myself on my phone, but those companies are run by idiots. Steel Soldiers is not.

Thanks for answering that. Email is worse for me. Don't ask, I should be able to attach a photo for that, I am only 20 and grew up with computers.....

cucv1833

Thanks for all the hardwork who made this happen!!
I like alot of the new upgrades but some take some time to get use to. Reading through this thread tought me alot already. Im not a big fan of the live stream on the left side but just found the arrow to hide it.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're welcome. Thanks also need to go out to everyone who has signed up for premium membership over the last year because a lot of that money went to pay for this upgrade and some more cool things to come.
So let's all become premium members. It's nice that you get to change your own rank as extra, but some very good things are done with the money. Even if you/we don't like all of the new changes, it still is necessary to stay updated and on top of these things. It can mean that some features go out because the new versions just do not support it anymore (which I always hate). Too bad, such is life.

More important: vBulletin is not free, hosting such a complicated site is not free, keeping the site up to date and running almost problem free costs a lot of time and energy, so that should not have to be free either. Answering all our remarks and questions ditto in spades. That money has to come from somewhere. We all profit a lot from this site and it keeps us of the street, so we might as well put some dough toward it to keep it up and running. Like most of us, I saved a lot of money and time with info from this site, so glad to give some back and help secure the site so stay on air, secure, moderated and updated. Thanks guys :rant: :p 2cents 2cents 2cents 2cents

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tried to stay out of this thread because most of the stuff is beyond my realm of knowledge. HOWEVER. I for one am not opposed to computer/site upgrades, they are a fact of life any more, and in my line of work I see it all too often, so I guess I'm used to it.

For what I wanted to say though...I for one LOVE the new upgrade. For the behind the scenes stuff in the admin/mod areas, there are a lot of bugs fixed and some features that are different from the old software that I think are absolutely great. Many thanks to Drew for all of the hard work, and to Chris for having the vision and desire to keep the site moving in the right direction. Awesome job guys!!!!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just like anytime ya go to a new place ya gotta take some time and explore. Find out where things are and how they work.
Ya might even have to ask for "directions" to get where ya wanna go.

It's probably gonna take me a little longer than most folks to get "up to snuff" with this new site but by golly...i'll get there! Well...maybe...I hope...

Anyhoo...thanks for the great work folks:patracy:

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I notice that some folks can see a list of which members are on, and others, like me, cannot.
In my vast knowledge of computers (he says trying not to laugh too much) I would guess this is either something I need to turn on on my preferences for the site, or on my own computer. But, I cannot figure it out on me own.... :-(

Can somebody please take my hand and walk me over there and point to what I'm missing, and try not to look too disgusted?

Patracy, thank you for doing all of this for us, and for patiently listening to the howling from the pack. We really do appreciate it.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks