• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade complete

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it has taken some getting used to( I miss seeing who is online on EVERY window, or pane and who is in chat), the upgrade is by far a step upwards. The new chat is wonderful, and I think we all had a blast last night(11-21-12).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would be nice if users could set a default page upon sign in.
Vbulletin can be setup to start on any page, however, it's a global setting for everyone. Meaning I can change it to something else. But EVERYONE will have the same thing.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mind if I start a poll to see what people might want to view in their start page, say 2 week duration...majority wins???????

I only ask this because I use the new posts link ALL the time, so either new posts or "today's threads" would be a good home page for me. I never use the activity stream, just my personal opinion, but I don't see the point of it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like it if the main page(what you get when you click on the "steelsoldiers") was the "today's posts", like it was on the old site. It would also be nice if it was 24hr long page, like we previously had.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing I miss, but it's not a big deal and I can live without it...I just want to bring it to you attention though. Is the "forum jump" drop down that used to be at the bottom of the page right below the posts or threads you were viewing. Like I said, it's not a big deal, but I find myself using it quite a bit doing my moderator duties.

I can't express my gratitude enough on how good of a job you did with the upgrade. It was really pretty painless, and the actual "real" problems were few and far between. You did a wonderful job. Thanks again to you for all that you do, and to Chris for wanting to continue to improve the site

EDIT: Never mind the "forum jump" nonsense...I'm a blind fool :cookoo:

I just noticed it at the bottom of this page called "Forum News"..duh. I didn't see it on the main search page after I clicked "new posts" though, that's why I posted.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mind if I start a poll to see what people might want to view in their start page, say 2 week duration...majority wins???????

I only ask this because I use the new posts link ALL the time, so either new posts or "today's threads" would be a good home page for me. I never use the activity stream, just my personal opinion, but I don't see the point of it.
I'd rather not open that can of worms again. It's bitten me in the past.

I'd like it if the main page(what you get when you click on the "steelsoldiers") was the "today's posts", like it was on the old site. It would also be nice if it was 24hr long page, like we previously had.
Again, that's the old CMPS that no longer exists. There might be some tweaking I can do with CMS, but don't expect the old main page to ever come back. Again "new threads" is a great tool.

One other thing I miss, but it's not a big deal and I can live without it...I just want to bring it to you attention though. Is the "forum jump" drop down that used to be at the bottom of the page right below the posts or threads you were viewing. Like I said, it's not a big deal, but I find myself using it quite a bit doing my moderator duties.

I can't express my gratitude enough on how good of a job you did with the upgrade. It was really pretty painless, and the actual "real" problems were few and far between. You did a wonderful job. Thanks again to you for all that you do, and to Chris for wanting to continue to improve the site
I'm honestly not even familiar with that. I will have to check to see if it was a addon or a modification that allowed that functionality. If it's a template modification, I'll see if I can make it happen once more. (If it's another addon, I'm going to pass honestly)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, Let's take the Holiday weekend off and enjoy our time with our families.

We can get back this stuff in a while.

I suggest we all give thanks for our Families and our Loved ones.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again "new threads" is a great tool.
love this function ["New Posts"] - it's where I go first too. However ( I know - here it comes...)

...... since the far right column IS the "forum" column, does each entry have to have "forum" as well as the "5 ton... conversation" etc?
Quickly looking at that column is a little slowed down on the old eyes when you have to weed out the 'forumn' word as well.

2 cents worth just for simplicity and clarity... or is it redundancy like 'AC Current'!

and just for DH... wife is watering plants, boy(Soldier 'B') is watching parade and I now have to go out to yard and put 350' of drain pipe into the hole I dug in the drive way yesterday... before the weekends snow!

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm closing this thread for the day.

Everyone go spend some time with your family, work on your trucks and just enjoy life.

I will reopen it tomorrow

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thread is now open.

Got all my Black Friday shopping done......

gunboy1656

Still learning my way around the new site, one suggestion I would make, more toward this thread. Update the first post with all the updates since the update.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the "Activity stream" from a week or so ago, don't seem to be able to find it. Good to see what everybody is doing instead of looking at particular categories and miss 90% of the action (activities).
There is a good chance that it's still here, just have learn to get around the site...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I also noticed that my and others older youtube links no longer work.

There is a single add-on now that parses youtube links. Unfortunately there's dozens of ways people can post links. Right now the site is setup to only automatically embed these type links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSCbZ73kEL0

Which before the system automatically embeds, looks like this...
PHP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSCbZ73kEL0
That's the standard youtube view link. Previously the site had at least 6 different addons that handled different formats of links. I'm not going down that path again.

Danl

danl

O Boy Jest got things working like Pic What happen to my contacts, this is going to take time to lean, This old dog has a hard time leaning new tricks, Thanks a bunch, were to startaua

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.............. Previously the site had at least 6 different addons that handled different formats of links. I'm not going down that path again.
Speaking about links in posts: what do you suggest is best to avoid those kilometer-long URL's? Or even to post a quick link to an older post/thread/TM/ etc... in a way that the reader would immediately recognize it as a link that can/should be clicked on?

The link feature (2nd row toolbar) works, but the short link- term- word- name to replace that http : // whateverlongname- url now appears in the posted text as a normal term word name only; NOT automatically highlighted or coloured, or underlined at least, as one would expect...:confused: (... or as it used to be).

So after the upgrade, what I have been doing is first underline the word "link", then switch color and finally use the link function as usual. Just seems a bit "un-practical" to me...

G.

Danl

DanL

I'm working with it, I found my contacts in privert Message I don't know about Pictures Yet, The classifieds isnot showing pictures untill you click on the add, ??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks