• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Vehicle Markings RUC or UIC Codes and Identifiers

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

If anyone needs any help with USMC Markings for their vehicles, I can help. I DO NOT know or have any info on anything Army, just USMC units. I need basic info (Example: 3d CEB 3d Mar Div A Co; Mag 39 3d MAW, 2d Mar Div FMF); once you give me your unit info, I can tell you what the RUC/UIC is for your markings. PM me if you don't see a reply within a day or two, but please post your request here first.
This is the MXXXXX on the side of your vehicle.
Dave

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear markings 2.jpg

Can you decode a MXXXXXX number?

This info was on my USMC M998. USMC 545490 M11006 and MUX underneath the M11006

It was one of the auctioned ones.

Last edited:

donalloy1

If anyone needs any help with USMC Markings for their vehicles, I can help. I DO NOT know or have any info on anything Army, just USMC units. I need basic info (Example: 3d CEB 3d Mar Div A Co; Mag 39 3d MAW, 2d Mar Div FMF); once you give me your unit info, I can tell you what the RUC/UIC is for your markings. PM me if you don't see a reply within a day or two, but please post your request here first.
This is the MXXXXX on the side of your vehicle.
Dave
Please see below M1009 NEWBEE 2013,

Really need to know how USMC would apply, where, and what font size? What else would they have put on M1009? Please be specific.

2/6 fox co.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a possibility, as it had a stock 100 amp generator, and a weirdo set of bolt holes for a weirdo antenna mount of some sort on the passenger side. (I've never seen an antenna mount that mounts in that position. Also note the position of the reflector on the drivers side, it is rotated "up" as compared to its normal position. No idea if this was intentional, or a motorpool screw up, or how it was done early on. Also sort of strange is the passenger side reflector, you can see from the small "oval" of green paint that perhaps it too was rotated "down" (as compared to the "up" normal position).. Which would NOT match the drivers side one.. Back in the 1980-90's the M998's had 60 amp generators stock, and 100's were reserved for high amperage draw vehicles, like commo trucks, with radios other than the standard VRC-12 series or SINCGARS set ups.. So the "MUX" thing makes sense. Was that a common way of marking USMC vehicles as to sections/platoons, and the MXXXXX was the unit identifier?? I am an Army guy, so those markings are all new to me. The M998 is a 1986, serial 13XXX. Clark Trucks 047.jpg

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

emmado, I'm still looking for your unit number... I'm kinda bored and for once this is something I actually know a little about. The Mux guys would use the smarT satlite trailers and TISR microwave transmitters. Higher amprage definitely makes sense there.

Whats tricky is normally the RUC/UIC numbers are M's followed by 5 digits. for example donalloy1's unit for 2/6 Fox Co is M13175 so I'm not sure where the extra digit you got came from but I'm still looking

ETA I think I found it... but as UIC M11006 which is Comm Co HQBN 1st MarDiv from Camp Pendleton Ca

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Holy Cow. Armed with the MUX info, I Googled the USMC UIC code, M11006, and it comes back to Commo Company, Headquarters Battalion, 1st Marine Division, out of Camp Pendleton. Now, this info starts to mesh with info that I got from a guy who has the serial #'s of the HMMWV's sold out of Atlanta, GA, and my serial # is not on the list. So I must assume it was one of the ones sold out of Riverside... next question, do the USMC's UIC codes ever change? I know in the Army, they can.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Emmando, M11006 is Comm Co HQBN 1st Mar Div. It falls under HQ BN 1st Marine Division. The 54 numbers are up to the commanders and are usually the vehicle ID number that ties into whatever the commander wants his trucks to be assigned. They all typically start with 52 thru 57 depending on vehicle type. Most CUCV'S start with 53. Larger trucks 57. Mid size like hummers 54. Hope this helps

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

2/6 Fox falls under 2nd Mar Div, Mar Regt 2d mar div. Your M number will be M13175. it is 2" with a normal M not a V with legs. It will be placed on each door even with the key hole starting about 6" from the key hole. almost center between keyhole and mirror bracket and also center on the tailgate. Your vehicle ID will be USMC (V with legs for USMC on hood) then 1 letter space then..53XXXX and whatever you want for last 4 and be placed on right and left hood lip starting closest to the windshield on passenger side You want it to also be 2" and to the right of where the hood ends and the windshield vent begins. Ill post a pic of mine tomorrow. (match the driver side for distance) I used the last 4 of the vin for mine M1009. your TP is 40 above each wheel. you will have a 2" USMC with the V with legs M on the diver side front and driver side rear on lower tailgate above the tailgate hinge. No other markings, no diesel fuel, only ID, M number, bumper usmc and TP, that's it.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

most UIC numbers never change, they are uniform thru each division, now that said I was with 3d CEB 3d mar div at camp hansen but they demobilized after dessert storm and moved to 1st mardiv and then they got a 1st mardiv UIC. my uic was 13425 for C co, but at 1st mar div the uic is 11405. notice the pattern, 1st mar div 11, 2nd is 12, 3rd is 13. they stay pretty consistent but do change slightly like the last 2 numbers based on unit size and how each division is structured but are mostly consistent. example 1/7 1st mar div is 11211, 1/8 at 2d mar div is 12211, 1/3 at 3rd mar div is 13111, note it is not exactly in sequence because 13211 is 2/1 at 2nd mar div. there are more combat units in 1st and 2nd mar div than 3rd mar div. go figure, but they typically stay consistent between all units.(pretty much)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can I find a Table of Equipment for the 1MARDIV HQ BN's Commo Company from the late 80's to 90's? Obviously Id like to get more info on the MUX platoon.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what we would call it in the Army. It was a list of all the various equipment a particular unit was authorized to have to do its mission. Trucks, weapons, radios, trailers, tents, etc.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

oh, gottcha, from what I can remember each unit had a normal radio operator, but the comm guys mostly had big vans that were like relay centers and the guys riding around in the trucks had whatever the mission required but most of the comm guys that had trucks (supported the field marines) and drove around changing our batteries and swapping out inop radios ect and carried a few of every kind of radio used to change or repair as needed. they really were not used by front line forces. the main comm guys were in air conditioned trailers more in the rear. so they pretty much had everything that was used in the field with them. During dessert storm/shield, we really were not super computerized yet GPS (whats that) we marines never had anything like that at that time. Im sure the more important folks had that stuff but we had the old style radio packs still with 20 foot whip antennas on our backs. If you need more info PM me, I don't wanna stray off topic.

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Donalloy1, See Post 11 for M1009 locations. If you need more info, Ill post pics of my 1009 in an hour or so. Most vehicles are consistent in placement locations. If that does not answer your ?? let me know and Ill dial you in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks