• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Vehicle Markings RUC or UIC Codes and Identifiers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of a Marine M1010, also in the Camp P museum. The picture crunches way down, but the door numbers are 534473. In this picture, it has a museum license plate on the front. It is marked USMC where the plate goes, visible when the museum plate is off. I got in a hurry and didn't take a picture of the back, so don't have an example of where the rear markings go on a 1010.

Some CUCV's I have seen have the USMC XXXXXX on the upper fender just ahead of the doors. Most seem to have it on the door proper.

Cheers

Attachments

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

fpchief, Ill look this up for you tonight. and report back Ive been out of town and just got back, Ill try to reply tomorrow for you if someone else doesn't before then.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While on the topic of Marine markings, anyone able to say what these embarkation codes (with red arrows pointing at them) painted on Marine trucks/trailers mean?

My son did tell me WR CARC was 'water reducible', so disregard that one.

Cheers

Attachments

sandcobra164

Pres. equals Preservation and you can read alot about that if you read Mil-Std 3003 (B). LCN equals Location. Not sure what the numbers mean after the PRES marking but I do know that Drive on Drive Off in the 3rd example are used exclusively for shipping an asset to Blount Island for Pre-Positioning storage. I'll also tell you that if the markings are stenciled straight onto the paint of the asset, it was prepped in Barstow, California. Albany, Georgia uses labels for marking of assets for at least the last 8 years that I know of. Sometimes we'll mark a Condition Code F asset with paint but we never mark ¨E¨ or ¨A¨ Assets with paint.

sandcobra164

CUCV Truck with ¨Correct¨ USMC Markings as it came home from Norway Storage. It was repainted and stenciled overseas and never marked with any unit markings as it was a Pre-positioned asset. The dead giveaway I have learned is the absence of the second cut in the ¨M¨ Stencil in USMC. I've done no touch up work on this truck so it's as close to accurate as I can imagine.

Attachments

sandcobra164

I also need to add that this truck is in the running for MV of the Month so I'd appreciate your vote!!! Come on CUCV Crew, we haven't won a poll yet!!!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what does Condition Code F (or A, or E) actually mean?

I looked quickly through the MIL-STD 3003, PRES seems to have something to do with how the vehicle was "preserved" for shipment, so at a guess DRIVE ON/OFF means it was not all taped up, drained, etc. Obviously, I'll have to read further.

Cheers

sandcobra164

C/C A is pristine ready to issue gear. E is decent gear but needs limited repairs to be an A. F is unserviceable gear that needs significant repairs. F also gets applied to obsolete gear that is not in scope for repairs regardless of condition. In regards to Drive On / Drive Off, minimal preservation has been done and it ships out with 1/4 tank of fuel.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that would explain why an M923 surrounded by MTVRs would be an F, even though it was in good shape. It was obsolescent, and would be turned in rather than repaired.

I did ask my Marine truck driver son about these markings, his response was that the embarkation folks painted that stuff on the trucks, the drivers didn't know or care what it meant. He just put the truck where they told him to on the ship when they deployed.

He also said that anything they painted with the pre-cut USMC stencil had the "V-with-legs" M, while anything that had the other M was painted with the slide together brass stencil. He said the pre-cut ones were what they were supposed to use, but they weren't always available so they used what was.

Cheers

Csm Davis

There is a TM that tells when to use the V with legs and when to use the M but it is not always followed, can remember having to hand cut the V with legs a few times as a PFC.

sandcobra164

Guys,
I think I've provided some great pictures and my CUCV is in 2nd place just 2 down to a Gama Goat in the SS Military Vehicle of the Month Vote in the ¨Members Rides¨ section of the forum. We've never gotten a CUCV remotely close to winning and you'll see what I mean if you check ¨Poll Results¨ and see where the other two are. The CUCV has a chance but it needs your support!!! Let's make this a Great Memorial Day Month and push a CUCV to the top. Please search my thread ¨NOS USMC¨ if you would like to see why I think this truck is special. Not just for what it is but what it means to my Family!!! Not begging for sympathy but if you don't bother to read the thread, let me just quickly say my youngest Son really is attached to this truck and Autism Speaks!!! I appreciate your consideration.

Respectfully,
Joseph

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks