• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Vehicle Markings RUC or UIC Codes and Identifiers

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should help in the ID. Thanks very much to Durango for the help, and M1009newbie for putting this thread together. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/130588468/usmc-nehca-groups Scroll down about 1/3 of the way until you get to the colored portion of the spreadsheet. Unit names and MXXXXX numbers are there.. The first MXXXXX (UIC) number corresponds to the unit. The next MXXXXX number is the parent unit.

Durango_USMC

Yup. I use a similar spreadsheet. emmado22, Let me know what specifically you're looking for. A buddy of mine was in Mux Plt for my old unit. I may be able to track down some pics of the Mux set up.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

• donalloy here is my M1009. Note the M on the fender for the ID is an old style M. Some folks say that it should be the V with legs but I don't recall that when busting rust and repainting the stencils. The only V with legs I recall is on the front and back. I did it the way I remembered it. There really is not right or wrong with the "M" do what you want.[thumbzup] Note: no plates needed to be on the vehicle in Colorado, so we get to roll old school around here.
  • I hope this helps.
  • tday 015.jpgtday 017.jpgtday 013.jpgtday 011.jpg

Durango_USMC

Well are you looking to bring your 998 back to as issued to Mux for display or? I'm not sure what they issued through the 90's or back into the 80's. But their primary stuff based on the age of the stuff we were using. Primarily there was a 2 way microwave antenna and mast (one horizontal slotted dish one vertical slotted dish), a couple banks of multi channel communications equipment I can find pictures but no nomenclature at the moment. And a microwave transmitter. They have some big dish that looks like a Smart-T as well these days. Data platoon would usually work alongside Mux on the field exercises. Here's a link to some of the equipment and a very very general idea of what it did. http://www.2ndmaw.marines.mil/News/...p-communications-flowing-throughout-iraq.aspx as far was what they brought with tents, each Marine had the 782 gear, a couple two man tent's, they would set up a 18x25 or so Base X type tent to set up the work stations. Its been a while so I apologize for being a little rusty on details.

M1009 Neebee 2013, Sweet looking M1009! I'll hopefully get my M1008 a little more presetable next year and register it as historic so I can roll around old school too. But in IN I'll have to put the fender number on the back too and maybe the front bumper if I remember that law right (I have seen very very few without plates here).

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No plans on bringing anything back to what it was, although right now my HMMWV is not that much different than what it started out as when Uncle Sam/UD auctioned it off. It started out from Uncle Sam as a M998 2 seater troop carrier in woodland camo.. I painted with with tan CARC, added a radio system and dual antennas, PLGR system Milemarker 10.5K Winch and "old school angle iron" brush guard with 2 IR drive lights. Bascially the set up I had in the Army. (as for the winch, my issued M998 had no winch, but there were more than a few times I needed/wanted one, so I put one on my POV HMMWV)

I just like knowing the history of my vehicles, it adds to the "ownership experience" when you can tell people it was really used by XYZ unit, instead of saying "some old military vehicle used for something somewhere" With the info I now have, it is good possibility that my HMMWV went to Desert Storm. 1st Marine Division went to Desert Storm, so perhaps some of the 6,000 miles it has on it was put on in the desert. The truck is a 1986, surplused out in 1999, there was no prepositioned stocks of vehicles in Kuwait like there has been AFTER the war, so chances are it is a DS Vet. On my 1969 M274A5 mule, I know nothing, the 1945 Willys MB, I know nothing, my 1988 M35A2C, I have every detail of it's life, and now I know a decent chunk of the M998's service history. Does it make them any more valuable, no. Just neat information to have as an owner, and once again, I thank you for providing piece to the puzzle.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Durango, thanks. I just got it a few months ago and have been doing everything I can to get it set up right. Everyone on SS has been very helpful with parts, pieces and info. Let us know how it goes with your 008 as you get things done. Semper Fi.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As regards the M being a V with legs - this applies only to the M in USMC. It seems that if you use the pre-cut USMC stencil, the M is the V with legs.
Repaints seem to sometimes use the brass stencil, as do a lot of MTVR's.

The M12345 RUC marking is unit applied using brass stencils, so it should not be a V with legs.

Clear as mud??
Remember also, there are always exceptions to every rule.

Cheers

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

I am aware that the m with legs only applies to the m in USMC but explained when I was in 84 to 94 I never noticed or saw that with any brass stencils 2" or larger. the only M with legs I ever saw during my time was the pre-cut cardboard stencils and mostly for the 1.75" letter and smaller. curious if they use the m with legs when you were in and if it depends on generation of service? I have 2 boys at camp Lejeune and they have sent me pics of trucks on base and what I mentioned above still seems to apply have still not seen any lettering 2" or larger with M with legs for usmc. not to say that at camp Pendleton they don't use them. we were pretty loosy goosy with markings when I served.

sandcobra164

It's not an exact science. My NOS USMC M1028 that spent most of it's life in Norway has a straight leg M. The correct one would have the cut's in each side of the "M" Things happen in the Fleet and we get them as we do. I'll get the "correct" stencil if I ever repaint the truck but it's paint still looks pretty good. It'll be a while. M813 taught me the difference on this site.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newbee, we're making the same point - the brass stencil does not make the V with legs, only the precut USMC one does.

My observations are based on my own Marine time (late 70's-late 80's), former Marine vehicles I own now with the original markings intact, vehicles in the museum on Camp Pendleton, a broad range of photos covering several decades, and looking about one of my currently serving Marine sons's motorpool (1st CEB) and what he tells me about how they paint them.
My other Marine son is in the Air Wing, so I should be up on Cobra markings pretty soon!

The lettering/numbers on my M813 (which came off Camp LeJeune around 2003) measure 2'' tall.

Cheers

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

understood. its all good. I find it interesting that we don't really have a consistent standard from base to base/command to command. I was also in the air wing early on and cant remember how we marked them. I remember not having assigned vehicles when I was at el toro we had to get them from motor t/check them out and I cant recall how they were marked when I was there.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

your son is with 1CEB out in the dessert? that used to be 3CEB. pretty cool. That's who I was with back in the day before they de-commissioned us and moved us to 1CEB from okinawa.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is anything consistent about Marine markings, it is inconsistency!

They seem to like sandy/dusty places. My older boy did a tour in Afghanistan with 1CEB last year, his company is on a float now (13th MEU), which has ended up in the Persian Gulf region last I heard from him. He is pretty tight-lipped (rightfully so) about where they are at any given time.
The younger boy just went in early this year, he is with a Cobra squadron on Camp P.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about this marking?
This is on an M870 trailer belonging to 1st CEB on Camp Pendleton. The neck is marked the same way, except the numbers were under the lettering. There were four trailers marked this way, the only tactical vehicles I have ever seen marked like that.

When the site smashed the picture down from 100kb to 27kb, it also distorted the lettering. In the original, MARINE is straight.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

1811jhead

Im new to site and military vehicles. Recently purchased 1982 AMC M151 A2. Per another source I was advised the numbers on hood would be 521197 per USMC sequential numbering. This was based on numbers on ID plate. Is this also the RUC or UIC #.. If not how can I find out more about this vehicle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks