• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 mods

B3.3T

Off set engine is a trade off for rear access and radio operator's position and it is well worth it. Huge asset. The offset balance is not that big of a deal. The springs are balanced at production and roll-overs have never been reported as a problem. These vehicles are not hot rods and should never be considered as such.

wgtactical

Off set engine is a trade off for rear access and radio operator's position and it is well worth it. Huge asset.
Three of the V150s that's been through my shop has no access to the rear. The Detroit/Allison conversion pretty much eats up the rear now.

The offset balance is not that big of a deal. The springs are balanced at production and roll-overs have never been reported as a problem.
Care to elaborate on that? Every V100 and V150 I've seen squats a bit on the left side. I'm not aware of a different part number for leaf springs from one side of the vehicle to the other, so the increased weight on one side would be noticeable.

These vehicles are not hot rods and should never be considered as such.
Well I think it could be argued that mine is :twisted:

badassissimo

Sorry for the can of worms. Thank you for the info. Wonder how they got away with minimal rollovers. Just idealizing hills and and all. Especially on the offensive or in pursuit. Sharp turn to the right might not be a good idea on the wrong incline.

badassissimo

Then again, I've heard stories that a fair amount of iraqi casualities were soldiers getting out of the truck to check the sniped radiator and being sniped themselves after removing their helmet to look inside. I would guess that having the radiator in the rear could almost eliminate that problem in specific.

B3.3T

Many indeed had an extra leaf added to the left side. It was not in the parts book but updates were not a regular feature. I'm referring to V-100s. V-150s were designed from the factory to have rear access and this was changed with different models. None of this justified a complete redesign of the drive train. Considering the ASV still has an offset design, it still appears to be a low priority. Gerald, your V-100- we called it "George"- is clearly an exception to almost all the rules...drive carefully my friend.

baseballump

In Nam we had 1 V that rolled over backwards. It was stopped going up a grade( the Hill was called the Ant Hill, Because it went back and forth.) The V was stopped and the Hyd. brakes gave way it rolled back off the hard road and flipped over. One guy hurt the other got out OK and said he didn't want to do that again.

Also, most Vs had speed limiters on them Plus the limits the 5speed put on them in turns and the duce axles You didn't want to brake one on a convoy and be towed in And you didn't get to speed very much

wgtactical

I made some new rings for the locking hubs that will serve as steps. There are two additional rings cut from 1/8" stainless steel that are spaced 5/16" apart that go directly behind this one. This will keep the anodizing from being rubbed off when folks stand on the hubs to access the driver's seat from the front. Also here are the rear tail light assemblies with LED stop and turn, along with the blue TIR 3 mounted to face.

Attachments

wgtactical

We had a rare treat this weekend when we were selected for the site to shoot a teaser trailer for a movie based on the book Lights Out written by David Crawford. There were cast members from the hit TV series The Walking Dead as well as other talent and a ton of technical resources on hand. As expected, the Zombie Killer was a huge hit with the 100+ people in attendance including these guys :mrgreen: Feel free to check out the links for the progress of the movie :cool:
L-R David Crawford, myself and Travis Fox
IMG_0169 (2)rs.jpg
LIGHTS OUT - YouTube

DSC01894rs.jpg
Theodus Crane - IMDb
Daniel Thomas May - IMDb

DSC01892rs.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/LightsOutSaga

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks