• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VA Rally

michigandon

T'was a truly awesome weekend. Gorgeous scenery, delicious food, good fellowship and awesome vehicles.

We made it home about 1800...but not without a hitch. Sad Sack began to run like crap just South of the state line, so we pulled over in an elementary school parking lot to investigate. Turns out the injector line coming out of the 2 o'clock position on the HH sprung a leak. We tried to tighten it back down, but my Horrible Freight tool kit had every size wrench except the size I needed. aua Ended up limping the last 23 miles home on the remaining five cylinders.

Guess I got work to do between now and Durhamtown. :x

rickf

Well, I rolled in at 19:00 without too many problems for the trip. hit some rain and found out that my weight distribution was a bit off and I had an issue with front brakes locking up on my camper but after playing with the trailer brake adjustment things got a little better. Will need a better trailer for next year. Had fun even though my trail time was cut short by a blown brake line. If I were going to be there longer I would have repaired it but it was the main line going to the the proportioning valve in the rear and it was rusted in there, supports and all and I just did not feel like spending hours under there dealing with rusty, silicone covered crap. Sunday evenings trail recovery was real interesting, and painful:shock:. I sure hope someone got a picture of my graceful plunge because I sure don't want to do that again.:oops::oops:
I know I met some of you there and I do not even realize who you are but I had a good time with all. Thanks again to Don who took me along after mine broke.

Rick

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a great time again, Cabell's cooking was great as always. The trails were fantastic thanks to the hard work of Steve and the Lost Jeepers crowd! Sorry I had to pull out late Saturday night, my back was really causing me problems and I didn't want to sleep in the truck again, when my own bed was 45 miles away.

Looking forward to offroading there next year!

steelypip

Euan and I had large fun in spite of random (even for Graves) weather. I think the ride in the half track made the boy's entire week. I know it did mine.

The intense trail rides on Saturday were also an experience I would not have missed. Many thanks to Steve and the rest of the Lost Jeepers for improving the existing trails and opening up the Devil's Backbone trail. That thing is a monster.

It was good to renew old acquaintances and make new ones. I think Cabell's tent/hooch worked out well except for needing a ridge vent. Well, that and some seam sealer. But it was a very welcome kitchen during the rain on Saturday.

CJ9/Granny

Thought I would make a quick post... the drive home was nice, peaceful and boring... just the way I like 'em. I drove out of the gloom somewhere not too far north of Reidsville, but once in Greensboro all **** broke loose... couldn't see the road for the rain. Fortunately, I was in the south and west bound traffic. The north and east bound lanes were backed up for miles. My imagination pictures some idiot in an SUV showing the world how to drive 90+ mph in a zero-visibility rain storm... hope no one got killed.

The rally was great!... Cabell outdone his self on the BBQ & fixins. Jim & Willy (the bassett hound) were great camping buddies down in the south 40. I've already got this one marked on the calendar for next year. Looking forward to seeing y'all again next time. [thumbzup]

MV Rally

Just Wanted To Say We Had A Great Time. Thanks To Cabell For The Good Food Sat Nite. Thanks To Chuck for The Great Looking Shirts You Out Did Yourself. I Hope Every One Had Fun On The Trail Rides. &The Truck Games. Congulations To The Winners Of The Games.. Hopefully Next Year It Will Be A Lot More MV People. Thanks Laura

bigugh20

Sorry that I couldn't make it this year, I'm going to put it on my priority list for next year though. Even if I just run up in my ordinary, everyday boring non-military pickup truck.

M215

Graves Rally

I had a great time! This was our halftrack's first real opportunity to have been driven any length since completion. I really enjoyed giving everyone rides and buzzing past the Graves main lodge.
Karl

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-g0jT8S9rU[/media]

michigandon

I had a great time! This was our halftrack's first real opportunity to have been driven any length since completion. I really enjoyed giving everyone rides and buzzing past the Graves main lodge.
Karl

Didn't get the opportunity to ride in it (regrettably), but still enjoyed seeing it in operation just the same.

It is the second time in my life that I have gotten to see one move under its own power (the 1st was Jim Henry's at Denton this spring).

rickf

Let's see some pics! Especially Sunday evenings recovery. I saw a lot of cameras out so I know the pictures are out there. I slacked off this year and forgot my camera everywhere I went so I have nothing to offer this year. I did take it to the dinner but my hands were full the whole time I was there!:whistle::whistle::drool:

Rick

steelypip

Sorry that I couldn't make it this year, I'm going to put it on my priority list for next year though. Even if I just run up in my ordinary, everyday boring non-military pickup truck.
I've attended the last three years in my Toyota, which is about as uncool for a MV rally as it gets. I wasn't the only one in that position by a long shot.

On both trail rides I did, the driver needed a right-seater on the trail. I wouldn't attempt Devil's backbone without somebody spotting from the right seat - it's just too tight, even in a jeep.

There was more going on than one person could do. Most folks pick and choose events because it's a relaxed atmosphere. It's just a fun weekend with nice people that involves MVs and trail rides whether or not you have an MV or a trail jeep there.

Last edited:
MV

Last Year We Had a m37 On devils Back Bone. Trail Leader Goes Thru Devilsback Bone with No Spotter at All. As a Off Road Person I My Self Have Seen That If You Know How To Drive Off Road you Dont Need A Spotter And Second You Want Get Any Body Damage.{ That Needs Buffing Out} As Far As What You drove To A MV Rally Is Un Important The Important Point Is That You Showed Up. I Had A Great Time .And I Cant Wait Till Next Year. Laura

rickf

As am I, I know Cabell said he was getting a disc but I don't know if that happened. I usually take a ton of pic's but I dropped the ball this year.

Rick

CGarbee

As mentioned, I have the photos from the 2011 and 2012 events on my Facebook page... About 360 from from this year that Ken took, almost 200 from last year that Mike took...

Since the actual website for the event has limited storage space, the plan is to host the photos on my server...which is actually my brother's... He just retired from HP and is transitioning his T1 line to a new provider and had to clean up a little issue that was causing my pages to be blocked by Google Chrome (fixed, we think) that has delayed me from uploading the photos to that site (with a link from the event site...).

So, long winded reply to say: I'll have them on my website this Friday. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks