• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Volvo Sugga Restoration underway

bbftx

One of my contacts that is doing a complete restoration of his Sugga stumbled on the fact that the 1954-57 Sugga uses the same speedometer gauge set as the 1938 Buick Specials. That's the only year Buick used this design apparently, not before or after.

The Buick gauges are on the left, my original Sugga gauges on the right. Volvo used a different glass plate with the cool deco font. The battery gauge (lower right) on the Buick is not used on the Volvo --- it's just empty space.

Attachments

bbftx

Paint !

We finally got new paint on my Sugga. Here are a few photos of body and chassis
Marine Corps Forest Green FS 24052.

Attachments

DieselBob

The body looks real good and the color, from what you can tell on a computer screen, looks like it is a good match for the type vehicle. Can't wait to see it assembled. [thumbzup]

bbftx

Excellent! What are the disc brakes off?
The engine (7.3L Powerstroke) and all the running gear, brakes included, came from a '99 Ford F-250 we bought at a salvage auction. My original Sugga motor was missing lots of parts (mostly made out of unobtanium). And since I wanted to use the vehicle as a daily driver, a lot of the old systems just weren't up to being able to run (and stop) at road speed. Sweden military guidelines limited the Suggas to 80 kph, or 48 mph. Volvo said top speed at time of manufacture was 90kph, or just over 50 mph.

rodbargee

The engine (7.3L Powerstroke) and all the running gear, brakes included, came from a '99 Ford F-250 we bought at a salvage auction. My original Sugga motor was missing lots of parts (mostly made out of unobtanium). And since I wanted to use the vehicle as a daily driver, a lot of the old systems just weren't up to being able to run (and stop) at road speed. Sweden military guidelines limited the Suggas to 80 kph, or 48 mph. Volvo said top speed at time of manufacture was 90kph, or just over 50 mph.
Having driven mine a bit this last week or so, I should say 40mph is flat out on the tyres it currently runs on! Heaven help anyone who jumped out in front of it at that speed!

I'm not sure the gear ratio's in the dodge truck gearbox mine runs are correct for the Suggas original spec. I will go out with a Sat Nav next time and see what readings that gives me...

jeeplvr247

What a difference paint can make, eh? It is looking really nice. Do you have it all put back together yet? I read through this whole thread without noticing that you were from across the pond but your spelling of tires gave you away. Good luck with the rest of the resto and those are some nice looking tyres.

bbftx

What a difference paint can make, eh? It is looking really nice. Do you have it all put back together yet? I read through this whole thread without noticing that you were from across the pond but your spelling of tires gave you away. Good luck with the rest of the resto and those are some nice looking tyres.
Hi jeep lover,
There are two restos being mentioned in this thread now. Rodbargee is from across the pond. I think he is going for a restoration more closely aligned to the original vehicle.

The orginal poster (me) lives in Texas, which some people in the US would also consider to be foreign. :p My project involves more modifications and is not an original restoration. I intend to use my Sugga as a daily driver and this demanded changes. And yes, the vehicle looks a LOT different with paint on it. Although the bare steel roadwarrior look had its attractions too!

Rodbargee: your tires (or tyres!) look good --- similar to the original TP21 rubber. I've gone to a much wider tire -- BF Goodrich All-Terrain.
Cheers,
BB

rodbargee

Hi jeep lover,
There are two restos being mentioned in this thread now. Rodbargee is from across the pond. I think he is going for a restoration more closely aligned to the original vehicle.

The orginal poster (me) lives in Texas, which some people in the US would also consider to be foreign. :p My project involves more modifications and is not an original restoration. I intend to use my Sugga as a daily driver and this demanded changes. And yes, the vehicle looks a LOT different with paint on it. Although the bare steel roadwarrior look had its attractions too!

Rodbargee: your tires (or tyres!) look good --- similar to the original TP21 rubber. I've gone to a much wider tire -- BF Goodrich All-Terrain.
Cheers,
BB
Couldn't have put it better! Sorry didn't mean to split your thread. Yes, the Petlas drive well and are! very good off road. I thought you might like a look.
Best
Adam

bbftx

No worries, Adam. It makes it more interesting to have two different Sugga projects mentioned in this thread, I think.
Cheers,
B B

bbftx

No worries, Adam. It makes it more interesting to have two different Sugga projects mentioned in this thread, I think.
Cheers,
B B

jeeplvr247

Ah, I see. Well you can't go wrong with a BFG AT. That is my favorite tire of all time. My F150 will be getting a set for next winter. I had a little bit of sticker shock when I went from a 15" rim on my old truck to a 17" on my new one, double the price for the same size tire.
Now that you have yours painted, do you have it put back together yet? If so, lets see some pictures of the finished product.

bbftx

Though the painting is done, my Sugga isn't all back together just yet. It was actually pieced together enough to do a very short test drive, but the fenders weren't on and there are some mechanical issues to fix (leaking steering pump, etc.). The biggest task left though, is doing the interior. We haven't got that all planned out just yet.

bbftx

Paint, Electrical updates

Here are a few photos of the Sugga, now that the electricals are hooked up and working. Lots of work left on the interior...
Cheers,
B B
rear-fender-DSCN0378.jpgHeadlights-DSCN0377.jpgGauges-DSCN0379.jpgDash-DSCN0385.jpg

jeeplvr247

Who needs an interior? Step 1: get yourself over to the home depot and but one of those orange buckets. Step 2: carefully turn bucket upside down and place of drivers side floor board. Step 3: hit the highway. If you want an adjustable seat just put a milk crate and a couple 2x12"s in the back. On a more serious note, enjoy your vehicle. It is looking good now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks