• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Volvo Sugga Restoration underway

bbftx

Rear Door Interior Panels

I'm (slowly) continuing to work on my Sugga's interior. For door panels, I'm building my own using 3/16" masonite, and EZ-Cool closed cell insulation underneath M90 Swedish camo fabric from Sweden (my Sugga was painted in this camo pattern when it came from Sweden, before I painted it solid Marine Corps Green). I'm bonding this sandwich together using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It works great on these materials.

To attach the panel to the door, I've decided to use strong neodymium magnets I bought in bulk. The magnets have a pre-drilled, countersunk hole, and I attached them to the masonite using ⅛" pop rivets. This arrangement makes the panels easy to attach and easy to remove. I ended up with 7 magnets on each of the rear door panels --- this provides plenty of holding power to keep the panel from sliding around. It's rock solid until you actually want to pull the panel away from the door to remove it.

There are window trim / garnish moldings that cover the window frame and will cover the top of the door panel I made. The inside door pull handle will attach to the garnish piece just above the door panel.
Cheers,
B B
curve drawIMG_3531.jpgdoor IMG_3528flip.jpgcomponentsIMG_3597.jpgpanel back IMG_3635.jpgpanel IMG_3636.jpgInstalled panel IMG_3639.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

To attach the panel to the door, I've decided to use strong neodymium magnets I bought in bulk. The magnets have a pre-drilled hole, and I attached them to the masonite using ⅛" pop rivets. This arrangement makes the panels easy to attach and easy to remove. I ended up with 7 magnets on each of the rear door panels --- this provides plenty of holding power to keep the panel from sliding around. It's rock solid until you actually want to pull the panel away from the door to remove it.
Excellent looking work. Top shelf.

Got a commercial source for the magnets?

bbftx

Thanks Ahab,
Lots of magnet options at: http://www.magnet4less.com The website has the same owner, Applied Magnets, as http://appliedmagnets.com/index.php
I used "Neodymuim Bar Magnet 1 in x 1/2 in x 1/8 in w/Countersunk Hole ". Each individual one has a pull strength of 12 lbs. They were perfect for my setup --- lots of hold, but not too much, in a compact size.
There are lots of eBay sellers too, but I went with a known (Texas) source. They're in Plano.
B B

Another Ahab

I did a test run with a UAV in "follow me" mode flying above the Sugga taking video.
Here's a short YouTube clip. This could be fun for offroad.
That's very cool:

- How do you know the on-board camera is following what you want it to follow (i.e., that it's centered on the vehicle)?

- Are you 'guiding" the camera on a monitor or something?

bbftx

Yes, Ahab, the controller for the UAV has a video monitor that displays what the camera is viewing. Once you line up the shot, it stays oriented the same way relative to the controller, which is just sitting next to me in the vehicle. It actually has a "watch me" mode in addition to the "follow me" mode. "Watch me" keeps the camera pointing at the controller automatically.

rodbargee

Hi Guys

Been a while since i posted over the pond, things are good over here my Sugga is out and about a fair bit

P1040032.jpg

2014-04-19 16.18.32.jpg

The news is that I may be having a change in direction so do you think anyone over your way would be interested in my beast? This is in no way spam as I'm just sounding out a possibility!

In the mean time she's just had a new water pump got a good firm to remanufacture it with a lifetime guarantee all for $120.

Hope this find BBX well
best regards
Adam

Another Ahab

I'm not in the market for a Sugga (or anything else), but that rig of yours looks to be in excellent shape; bodywork, paint, tires included.

rodbargee

She's been really well sorted, the chassis drive train, engine and running gear is all top notch, the door bottoms need attention and a couple of pillar sections on the front doors need attention, none of that is structural though. once they're done some Luftwaffe grey paint would be just the ticket!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks