• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

waiting for the tow truck

blitzengine

I was afraid that was going to happen... Just go to the parts store and get one for a 1985 K30 with a 6.2 and Auto.

GM part number 14077157

Later,
Joe

I did some research and found there are two flex plates available for the 6.2, one is GM P/N 14077157 which Crash mentioned and the other one is GM P/N 14077158. Okay here is the question what is the difference between both flex plates? Is one normal and the other a heavy duty version? They both have 139 teeth, 10 pitch and O.D of 14.13, doing a visual the only thing I found different was P/N 14077157 has a bigger counter weight. I looked over the parts TM and could not find it anywhere unless I am going blind. Any ideas?

Cheers:beer:

blitzengine

Thanks Crash, I am not blind after all! I just looked at the wrong parts TM. But if you go to the autozone's web site and look at P/N FRA-142 and FRA-143 you will understand why I am confused as far as which flex plate is right for the 6.2. I got a blind spot on mine and I want to get the right one the first time.

Last edited:

1stSarge

This is great thread, watkinssr, you are doing great, It gets old sometimes to see people on here that are not qualified to hold a screwdriver getting in way over their heads. You are very clear and concise, and have excellent communication skills, (great asset in a thread)…. I lurked on here for a long time before I said anything and I still don’t say much (cause I don’t know anything):confused: but some of these guys, if you haven’t noticed, are crazy phenomenal at this stuff…. I'm pretty sure Crash knows everything, and what he doesn’t know, Doghead does…. And what they don’t know, Warthog will know how to lookup. If its in an ancient manuscript buried in a pyramid in Peru, he will post a link to it. (but make sure you do a search for it first)...:shock:

Many, many others are really helpful here, I just wish I could say something helpful to ya, but I am following closely…
:nothingfunny:

watkinssr

Thanks, 1stSarge, I'm a writer (and photographer) by trade. Which is part of the problem, I sell a few articles and then have to way for them to get around to paying me. Supposed to pick a check tomorrow for a piece I did a few weeks back, and then I"m off to the parts store and the starter shop. This weekend should be full of profanity and busted knuckles.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Crash, I am not blind after all! I just looked at the wrong parts TM. But if you go to the autozone's web site and look at P/N FRA-142 and FRA-143 you will understand why I am confused as far as which flex plate is right for the 6.2. I got a blind spot on mine and I want to get the right one the first time.

Just checked www.compnine.com, and found your answer.

The 14077158 flywheel is for the "C" code 6.2 with the THM700-R4 or 4L60 transmission and the 14077157 flywheel is for the "J" code engine with the TH-400. The "J" engine is the non-emission engine that the CUCV uses.

GM 14077158 FLYWHEEL, (A/TRNS)(6.2C) available here

GM 14077157 FLYWHEEL, (A/TRNS)(6.2J) available here

Will they interchange? Probably. But I would stay with the 14077157 flywheel and be done with it.

Last edited:

blitzengine

Thank you Warthog for sharing your knowledge once again with me and anyone who might have the same doughts about which flex plate to use on the 6.2. I will order mine today as I had to turn my engine by hand again for the second time to get past the blind spot on my ring gear so that the starter would engage properly.

watkinssr

Parts collected, got the flex plate to tc bolts out, the driveshaft removed, and the linkages disconnected. In the morning I go buy a new floor jack since some rat bastard stole mine out of the driveway, and yank the transmission so I can get the flexflyplatewheel out and replaced.

So, is it possible just to put a jack under the crossmember and pull the thing back, or do I really have to pull the transfer case off of first, then the tranny, etc?

watkinssr

Did they steal it while you went inside or some thing?
It happened a while back. I had a buddys travelall in my driveway for a year or so, and I got used to just shoving my floor jack up under the nose of it, out of sight. Well, he finally sold the travelall and I didn't think about the fact that my beloved jack was now sitting out in the open.

By the time I got home that night it was gone. Bunch of savages in this town.

Anyway, I haven't really needed a floor jack since then, and I forgot it was gone until got into this thing.

watkinssr

Got a new jack, and got the transmission ready to pull...all thats left is the lines and getting the time to get back out there. Life keeps interfering with my CUCV project.

watkinssr

Flywheel is in. I couldn't get a torque wrench in there, so I figured the thing is like a harley -- tighten each bolt until it breaks and then back it off half a turn.

earnie

dayum this girl donna wanna dance at all

if not to mean to say after all of this fussin and cussin
" PUT A BULLET IN HER HEART"
then heart transplant== chevy 350/400 gasser