• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warwag - m1028

WARWAG

One more thing to note. On Thursday when I took my kids four wheeling I noticed the power steering unit started making noise. I checked the fluid (what a pain in the arse that cap is to reach with my big hands) and all looked well as far as fluid level. Friday as I started the truck up all was well. By the time i drove into town (10 minutes) It started to make that sound again. I drove up to NAPA and checked her out. There was some Power steering fluid slightly leaking. I picked up some Lucas power steering stop leak and conditioner. I only added a few ounces to bring the level back up to the hot mark. When I checked it friday It was at the cold level mark and I should have realized that it should have been at the hot level mark. After filling her up to the proper level the pump stopped moaning and no more leaks present. I will flush out the Power Steering pump and put all new fluid in her at a later date. I checked on pump prices and was shocked that they are still at $38 bucks! I was shocked. I paid that amount for one over 20 years ago on another Chevy. There is an $8 core charge but I plan on picking up a couple to store away.

WARWAG

A little story for you fathers out there that I will think you will find funny. Thursday when I took the kids out four wheeling I told my daughter to roll down the window. My daughter is ten years old and has never been in a vehicle with manual windows. She started looking all around for the down switch. I chuckled and showed her what to do. This was her and my sons first time riding in the truck. They both LOVE the "Military Truck" and both want one when they get old enough to drive.:driver:

WARWAG

Just finished up metering all of my glow plugs. One glow plug measured 1.5 Ohms. Thats a good one. Four metered 1.0 Ohms and the rest 0.5 Ohms. Those 7 are all bad. I knew some were bad since it would start up and have a rough idle. What im surprised about is how cold she would still start up at. In the low 30s. I have 8 new AC60G Glow Plugs on there way. I hope they arrive before I have to head out again.

WARWAG

My Glow Plugs came in and are now installed. Here is my install thread (post 25 and 26 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/67378-glow-plug-life-span-3.html ) The GP time was cut down to 1/4 what it was if not less! The trucks starts up and runs smooth. Before it would belch smoke and run rough for a few minutes if I let off the throttle. What a difference the new AC60G plugs made! I am very happy with how the conversion went. Well worth the $71 bucks!:driver::mrgreen:

WARWAG

Hi All,
Its been awhile since I posted here so I thought I would bring you up to date on my M1028 build. I put the 4" lift on hold for a few weeks. I ordered a Flipac for my Civi Dodge 3500 a few moths ago and it is now in. So I payed that off (6K) and will have to hold off a bit until I replentish my fun money coffers. I did order 2 12 bolt H1 rims and new O rings. I had 2 12 bolt rims here on a M101 trailer so I took those off this afternoon. Man are the heavy! I forgot how heavy those run flats are. So I am now just waiting for the other 2 to arrive. I will be swapping out the worn out 37s and installing the 36" Military Wranglers on them. I should be able to drive around without a lift for now. As soon as my funds come in I will replace those with 35" or 37" TRXUS MTs. Ive also found a used banks turbo and a diesel 700R4. I hope to pick those up soon but still waiting to hear from the current owner. So thats it for now. Stay tuned.

WARWAG

Yesterday I removed to of my 12 bolt H1 rims off of a trailer I had in the backyard. After replacing them with standard 235 85R 16 tires and rims I stowed them into the back of my truck. Its amazing how heavy they are! These must have the solid rubber run flat and bead locks in them. Today I will be pulling the rims apart and just have the rims by themselves. The tires will get tossed and the run flats I will sell. To safely pull the rims apart you need to remove all of the air. I simply used a 9/16 socket and removed the CTIS plug. This quickly gets the air out. I will be back later as I need to bring my children to my Mom's house for the grand kids Easter Egg Hunt. When I get back I will see about getting those rims separated. Heres some pics for now.

Attachments

rnd-motorsports

I agree! I also have used them. Just I am not comfortable running a spacer that wide with a wheel that is heavy on a front axle thats all I,m saying! The wheels do look great on the trucks [thumbzup]

WARWAG

After the Great Easter Egg Hunt at grandmas the kids were a buzzing with tons of chocolate inspired sugar rush! I wish I could harness some of that energy! Anyway we made it home and work began on removing the 37" Goodyear MT off of the 12 bolt rim. After making sure all of the air was OUT of the tire I removed the 12 bolts holding the two halves together. I used oil on the threads a pre cleaned them of any paint ect. I then broke each one free with a 1/2 socket ratchet and 3/4 deep socket. I used the handle off of a Hi Lift Jack to give me the leverage I needed. These should have been torqued down to 120 ft lbs when they were originally installed. These were taken off at least once since they were installed from the factory but I suspect they would have been torqued to spec. After they were all off I used some 20 weight oil and lubed all around the inside tire edge to help promote breaking off the bead. WD40 or something simular would have been great but all I had was 20W oil. I then placed the tire partially behind my rear tire and used the truck to break the bead. This worked perfectly and I only had to back onto it 2 times in two seperate places. After removing the rim I cleaned off all of the old grease that you need to use between the two halves over the O ring. After a good cleaning I mounted on one of my MANY Wrangler II Military 36" tires. I did not re-use the run flat or bead lock. They are simply to heavy and im not planning on airing down. BUT by not installing the bead lock the chance of loosing a tire is a real concern if you air down. Essentially I just have a non bead lock 16.5 rim with its 5 Degree lip vs the standard 15 degree lip of all other rims. This was to help mount extremely tough heavy duty truck tires from back in the 70s. Unfortunately because its easier to mount them its also easy to "dismount" them. If you go this route keep them air up to a minimum of 20 psi. Mine will stay at 30 psi. I may order a set of PVC bead locks which are very light and give you a double bead lock. BUT Im trying to go cheap for now and save up for a set of the new 37" BFGs and 12 bolt rims when I find them. Those will be my primary wheel combo. For now I will use what I have a TON of. I must have 10 pallets of newish 36" Wranglers. Anyway... After remounting the rims I had to use a ratchet strap to help squeeze them to get the air pressure up so they would seal. Job done and it looks great. I will have them balanced or add some type of balancing grains inside the tires. Heres the pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

WARWAG

After cleaning all of the old grease from around the O-ring I was able to inspect it. No nicks and looked good so I re greased the the O-ring and started to mount up the tire. I simply dropped the tire over the back half of the rim and dropped the top half on. Torque all of the 12 bolts down to 100 ft lbs. Then retorque to 120 ft lbs.. After ratcheting around the tire I was able to finally get some air inside to build up the pressure. Here are the last of the pics. This is the first time I did this so criticize me if I did something wrong. I just read how to do it on the Internet.

Attachments

WARWAG

On April 15th I ordered 2 -12bolt H1 rims from Trail Worthy Fab. I called on Friday the 22nd to see when they shipped. No call back but Yesterday the 25th they emailed me saying my order had been filled? Why would it take 10 days to fill an order? I ordered the rims so they would be here when I returned home. So far I am not impressed with Trail Worthy Fab.

TCUCV

This is the first time I did this so criticize me if I did something wrong. I just read how to do it on the Internet.
Those look great! You'll love those wheels and tires, that's what I have on mine torqued to 120 ftlbs. They seem to be holding up just fine [thumbzup]

TCUCV

I'm running 26 psi front & 24 psi rear . . . seems to handle decent on the road. Max psi for these tires are 30(which is crazy for how much weight they can hold)

WARWAG

I remember I stuck some on my Hummer and they were crap. I dont remember what condition those were in but they sure were not balanced at all! For now at least I will run them since this is my run to town truck and hit the trails. I do remember they were pretty good off road though. I must have a 10 year supply on hand.