• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was looking for a shop in or near Milwaukee to work on M1008; then did it all myself!

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the new flex plate installed and the transmission re-installed with original bolts. I also got the torque converter and new TC adaptor installed.

I was just cleaning the cross member to prepare it for re-installation when I came across a small hairline crack near one of the holes where the skid plate attaches. What do you think about that? Should I take it somewhere and have a bead welded over the crack or do you think I’ll be ok? I was hoping to get it done tonight but I’m waiting for your advice.

View attachment 838948View attachment 838949View attachment 838950View attachment 838951View attachment 838952
I'd get that repaired a the welding shop. Let them determine how to do it best. Personally I would weld a piece of strap across the crack on the flat edge and fill in the rest of the crack with a bead, then flap disk sand it smooth.

Good luck. Great work your doing... and fast.

cucvrus

definitely weld it. Easier to do now.
Why I LOVE overhead welding on dirty, greasy, rusty material. Especially when it is covered in rust, snow and ice and dripping mass amounts of water into my ear canals. It's an experience you will never know until you have been there. You will never forget the sound of boiling water in your ear canal when a spark hops in there. Clean it up weld it, clean it again, paint it real pretty and reinstall it. I always used the exotic colors so it showed off my custom work. Have welder will travel.

retro_life

I took it to a local welding shop this morning. I told them I’d like it plated over but they said they didn’t think it was necessary and that beveling the crack and filling it would be sufficient and cheaper. I personally think they just didn’t wanna do the extra work, but I just went with their opinion. Makes me want to invest in a welder when I get home so I can do my own metal work in the future.

Anyway, I’m sure it will be fine. I just painted it and waiting for it to dry a little before I put it back on the truck.
D81EAEB6-42FB-4B52-AB66-B2D51B8D691B.jpeg77E7579C-C668-4A37-862A-57EABDF5CDB6.jpeg48E8AF60-E6BF-4D70-8F33-238EA5F0F7D1.jpeg48972889-3567-4557-A002-0C3BC7375306.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I took it to a local welding shop this morning. I told them I’d like it plated over but they said they didn’t think it was necessary and that beveling the crack and filling it would be sufficient and cheaper. I personally think they just didn’t wanna do the extra work, but I just went with their opinion. Makes me want to invest in a welder when I get home so I can do my own metal work in the future.

Anyway, I’m sure it will be fine. I just painted it and waiting for it to dry a little before I put it back on the truck.
View attachment 839045View attachment 839046View attachment 839047View attachment 839048
Don't know if you have a local community college out where you are, but many years ago I went to CPCC here in Charlotte to get myself a welding certificate. Where I was working at the time I could get paid a couple more bucks an hour by having one. That was my motivation at the time.

When I went to enroll, they wanted "Introduction to Psychology", English 101 and a few other things. My answer was I don't care how the metal feels, I just want to burn the two pieces together and have a piece of paper saying I am good at it. I was referred to the instructor to see if that I wanted was possible. Spent some time with him, listened and learned, did some testing and in about a month got the certificate. I had to pay for 3 different welding classes. They got their money, I learned stuff I needed to know and I got my piece of paper.

It might be a possibility where you are too. Maybe.

retro_life

If you have to grind your welds to make them look good, you are a good grinder and should let the welds to someone else. I agree that it will be fine but it looks like he was ashamed of his finish weld so he ground it off. All will be well.
Yeah out of all the shops I’ve gone to out here in Milwaukee this welding shop is the first one to fall a bit short. Their price wasn’t that great and they wouldn’t give me a rounded number cash price. The guys wife got offended that I even asked and asked me if I felt comfortable giving him a pay cut….it was only a few bucks and now I wish I would’ve paid with a credit card at the end lol. It was an easy 20 min job and the guys work wasn’t even that clean…
Oh well, got it done I guess.

I will definitely look into taking a welding class at the local community college or career center when I get back home.

Anyway, got it back on the truck with the new polyurethane bushings! Still gotta clean the transfer case and also waiting on the proper starter bolts to come in the mail.
42A5BB8B-4BCD-4FA0-B061-6A1F3076CADF.jpegA00D31A0-E302-4C19-8A60-F485F0AAD1A7.jpegDF46A07D-BE5A-4029-B1CE-89B1559A0B70.jpegE47C4EB6-001E-4590-8287-E394B3C41679.jpeg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah out of all the shops I’ve gone to out here in Milwaukee this welding shop is the first one to fall a bit short. Their price wasn’t that great and they wouldn’t give me a rounded number cash price. The guys wife got offended that I even asked and asked me if I felt comfortable giving him a pay cut….it was only a few bucks and now I wish I would’ve paid with a credit card at the end lol. It was an easy 20 min job and the guys work wasn’t even that clean…
Oh well, got it done I guess.

I will definitely look into taking a welding class at the local community college or career center when I get back home.

Anyway, got it back on the truck with the new polyurethane bushings! Still gotta clean the transfer case and also waiting on the proper starter bolts to come in the mail.
View attachment 839052View attachment 839053View attachment 839054View attachment 839055
I am with you. Smarter than average folks understand the cash price on things - but some don't. Yes sir, based on her attitude the credit card 3% fee (or more) would have been appropriate. Funny how that works. As I was reading, I understood what you were asking. Boss's wife was too busy defending their price. We do have a few cultures who ALWAYS ask for discounts. ALWAYS and without fail. The time I spend on that situation used to "excite" me. Now days I just mark up the price so they can get their discount - and everybody is a winner. It is all in how the game gets played...

A little schooling and being a little stubborn (I want skills and not the bs) will definitely be a good investment in yourself!

Your mounting points look good for sure. That will definitely make the ride infinitely better!

retro_life

Too bad you were not in the San Diego area, I would have welded that for free.

Looking like you are getting things together.
Thanks man. I really appreciate that!

It started pouring outside so I’m done for the day, but I wanted to share a little bit of the stuff I been working on with the interior.

I took apart that replacement cluster I bought and repainted the plastic housing and the face.
0F045AC3-89FB-4BDD-BBAD-E7970094BD19.jpegF2E7FEC6-A3B1-4CA1-B7D7-B10014E31FD3.jpeg27DBF066-7677-43B3-8A0C-32983AEB4B70.jpeg

I got the cigarette lighter wired up and set it up so it only receives power when the key is in the run position. That way my GPS will automatically power off when I turn off the key and I don’t have to worry about draining my batteries.
2D54B6D7-92E2-4B49-B267-4141432E315E.jpeg
3C75CED0-36F6-4715-B016-418BF622365D.jpeg

The indicator on my transfer case shifter was badly faded so I decided to touch that up. I originally tried to paint it on the clear plastic but it didn’t come out right snd when I removed the paint it clouded up the clear plastic. Since there’s no light bulb in there anyway I decided to just paint the plastic flat black and then painted the indicator lines with rustoleum safety orange. I have a new boot on the way.
42B8E8B2-6704-4734-B003-F26A7495B7AA.jpeg
2A732745-D6F5-4783-B39D-582DCB0561E2.jpeg

I got some LEDs in from Amazon to replace the gauge and interior lights. I went with warm white LEDs to give that old school incandescent appearance.
40B1A948-C1FB-4A3D-B840-44D415DAB783.jpeg2A57DC49-69DE-4911-82D9-27AFB048AA0C.jpeg

I was thinking about wiring up a stereo but the speakers they sell to fit in the dash are so tiny that I’m thinking it might not even be worth it. Anyone have experience with those? I’m almost thinking just to get a Bluetooth soundbar for a TV and putting that in the cab.
Let me know!

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks man. I really appreciate that!

It started pouring outside so I’m done for the day, but I wanted to share a little bit of the stuff I been working on with the interior.

I took apart that replacement cluster I bought and repainted the plastic housing and the face.
View attachment 839074View attachment 839075View attachment 839076

I got the cigarette lighter wired up and set it up so it only receives power when the key is in the run position. That way my GPS will automatically power off when I turn off the key and I don’t have to worry about draining my batteries.
View attachment 839071
View attachment 839070

The indicator on my transfer case shifter was badly faded so I decided to touch that up. I originally tried to paint it on the clear plastic but it didn’t come out right snd when I removed the paint it clouded up the clear plastic. Since there’s no light bulb in there anyway I decided to just paint the plastic flat black and then painted the indicator lines with rustoleum safety orange. I have a new boot on the way.
View attachment 839072
View attachment 839073

I got some LEDs in from Amazon to replace the gauge and interior lights. I went with warm white LEDs to give that old school incandescent appearance.
View attachment 839077View attachment 839078

I was thinking about wiring up a stereo but the speakers they sell to fit in the dash are so tiny that I’m thinking it might not even be worth it. Anyone have experience with those? I’m almost thinking just to get a Bluetooth soundbar for a TV and putting that in the cab.
Let me know!

Thanks everyone
That gauge cluster looks amazing after your cleanup!
Really sharp for sure.

The other work is neat too. Can't speak much to a soundbar, but a friend of mine has a box about 12 wide, maybe 10 tall and 2 inches thick. Bluetooth link and the sound quality is pretty amazing. Best part is the tunes are on his phone, so even "out in the sticks" he has his music.

Last edited:

retro_life

That gauge cluster looks amazing after your cleanup!
Really sharp for sure.

The other work is neat too. Can't speak much to a soundbar, but a friend of mine has a box about 12 wide, maybe 10 tall and 2 inches thick. Bluetooth link and the sound quality is pretty amazing. Best part is the tunes are on his phone, so even "out in the sticks" he has his music.
Thanks man!

Yeah I’m trying to figure out ways to add some entertainment without messing with the truck. I’m not about to lose my rifle mounts for rear speakers, or mess up my doors. The dash speakers are just so small and I can’t imagine them being loud enough especially with the lack of insulation in these trucks. I’m thinking a Bluetooth sound bar with subwoofer that I can fit under the seat or something. Maybe I can attach the sound bar to the roof with strong magnets… ideas

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work man. Been following this thread and giving likes, but I just had to "say" it! This project of yours is close to being a restoration. :D (y)

I can recommend getting a MIG welder. At my previous employer they made and repaired their own things and I got acquainted with welding. Never welded before. Laid down some crappy beads, but got stuff repaired myself. When I was able to take over part of the business for myself I HAD to weld 80 extension pieces for market stalls because I couldn't take them from them.

After starting for myself, I bought my own MIG welder and a whole world opened up. I should've learned to weld years earlier! I never got a certificate, it would've helped, but my welds are good. I've tried to "destroy" them and they are strong. They look good as well.

If you have to grind your welds to make them look good, you are a good grinder and should let the welds to someone else. I agree that it will be fine but it looks like he was ashamed of his finish weld so he ground it off. All will be well.
1acudt.jpg

Want sidebars? You can make them yourself. Want bed rails? You can make them yourself. Need to repair a crack? You can repair it yourself. Fix, repair and/or improve stuff around the house? Do it yourself!

Practice makes perfect. I'm a long way from perfect though, but it's decent enough. :LOL: There are a couple of great YouTube channels, that tell and SHOW how to weld. I even started earning money from it. Restaurant asked if I could repair a table and I ended building a bar, wall shelving, wine rack, tables, etc. Today they opened.

037e0b74-0d21-4938-9276-5ad198905928.jpg IMG-20210707-WA0025.jpeg IMG-20210707-WA0023.jpeg

Anyway, keep up the great work! You're doing great and this is going to be one awesome truck!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great work man. Been following this thread and giving likes, but I just had to "say" it! This project of yours is close to being a restoration. :D (y)

I can recommend getting a MIG welder. At my previous employer they made and repaired their own things and I got acquainted with welding. Never welded before. Laid down some crappy beads, but got stuff repaired myself. When I was able to take over part of the business for myself I HAD to weld 80 extension pieces for market stalls because I couldn't take them from them.

After starting for myself, I bought my own MIG welder and a whole world opened up. I should've learned to weld years earlier! I never got a certificate, it would've helped, but my welds are good. I've tried to "destroy" them and they are strong. They look good as well.

View attachment 839086

Want sidebars? You can make them yourself. Want bed rails? You can make them yourself. Need to repair a crack? You can repair it yourself. Fix, repair and/or improve stuff around the house? Do it yourself!

Practice makes perfect. I'm a long way from perfect though, but it's decent enough. :LOL: There are a couple of great YouTube channels, that tell and SHOW how to weld. I even started earning money from it. Restaurant asked if I could repair a table and I ended building a bar, wall shelving, wine rack, tables, etc. Today they opened.

View attachment 839083 View attachment 839085 View attachment 839084

Anyway, keep up the great work! You're doing great and this is going to be one awesome truck!
Nicely said Rutjes ...

You have some really incredible looking projects!

---

As strange as it is, I learned on a stick welder and "sound" is how I could tell if I was doing a good, deep, penetrating weld. The crackle sound getting louder told me I was getting too far away from the metal. For a good while I didn't need the paper but eventually they required it.

You can definitely get by without papers, but getting some metallurgy skills will make life easier and what rod to use for what. Especially if you are working and learning by yourself. I am really thankful for the guys who got me started welding!

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check these speaker brackets out. Member @Mad Texan recently installed these or similar. Looks easy enough to copy if you feel like it.

I LOVE the 6.2/6.5 diesel sound. I bet if I had my truck idling next to my bed I'd sleep better. But, on a cross-country trip like you are planning it would be nice to listen to some tunes every now and then.

Nicely said Rutjes ...

You have some really incredible looking projects!

---

As strange as it is, I learned on a stick welder and "sound" is how I could tell if I was doing a good, deep, penetrating weld. The crackle sound getting louder told me I was getting too far away from the metal. For a good while I didn't need the paper but eventually they required it.

You can definitely get by without papers, but getting some metallurgy skills will make life easier and what rod to use for what. Especially if you are working and learning by yourself. I am really thankful for the guys who got me started welding!
I tried to stick weld recently, what a horrible failure... :LOL: I'd be interested in learning MIG, but those machines are so damn expensive. You're right about sound. The sound of the welding will tell you if you're doing well or not.

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

retro_life

I got the starter bolts in the mail yesterday and got the starter installed. I got everything under the truck reassembled last night short of the transfer case and drive shafts.

I’m pleased to report that she started right up! Sounded real healthy too no more droning vibrations or rattles. Boy am I relieved and feeling accomplished! I would’ve never thought I would’ve done all this work just a few weeks ago!

I’m going to work on cleaning up the transfer case a little and then reinstalling it, along with the drive shafts. I will report back!

Thanks everyone!!

485F9722-44D4-4E01-AA7E-4CE9E248DCA9.png
3FD0540D-E30C-4942-8246-AA1930B379F1.png

Last edited: