• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste oil Filtration system

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That things runs on gasoline. I've never used one or even seen one in person but I'm just spitballing here by saying that it might not be a great idea to heat waste oil with something that runs on an open flame.
I never lit one of those things without losing a significant amount of arm hair....they will flash out in a heartbeat. They would heat oil fast but you would have to be very careful not to get it hot enough to catch fire.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:I don't think I would immerse anything that creates heat in a solution that could contain anything flammable. Those immersion gov't heaters are known for flashing, and they run on gasoline or diesel.

ARYankee

Well I bought me a pump setup. I've got about 500 gallons of WMO that I will be needing to get. Here is a picture of what i bought. It is from Redline Custom Equipment and it's a 12 volt setup.

Attachments

Crawdaddy

Well I bought me a pump setup. I've got about 500 gallons of WMO that I will be needing to get. Here is a picture of what i bought. It is from Redline Custom Equipment and it's a 12 volt setup.
Looks like a pre-modded Chevy small block oil pump with motor mounted on a stand.

I was also thinking a water separator might be handy.

midcounty

+1 for the small chevy oil pump. I used one to build a 110v pump using an old motor I had laying around. I have collected a couple hundred gallons so far.

goldwing2000

Banned
I bought one of these yesterday:
1" Clear Water Pump
One of the reviews said he uses it for oil fitration, so I'ma give it a shot. If it sucks (or doesn't suck), then it can go back. For $40, it's a worthwhile gamble.

Got a couple of these filters from TSC:
Fuel Filter With Metal Can - 3958383 | Tractor Supply Company
which come with a 10 micron filter and I'm going to pick up a couple generic 35 micron filters for the pre-filter. Also picked up a bunch of valves, ells, wyes, nipples and tees. I have a vague plan sketched out in my head... we'll see how it comes together. I picked up a 250 gallon fuel oil tank off craigslist to use as my supply tank and I'm looking at another one tomorrow to use as my storage tank. Plus I have a clean 55 gal drum to use for whatever.

Pics when it's done...

ARYankee

What'd that run ya? If I was buying expensive equipment I'd be looking for a centrifuge...

It was $434 including shipping. I had the money so i figured why not. I've been researching motors and pumps and ran across them. It saves me some fab time. I have one filter so far and I plan getting one or 2 more. I plan on using a PVC pipe with some mesh to suck out with. Then I will filter in stages. I plan on putting some clear hose on so I can see what color the oil is because I am setting up a filter bypass that will go to a crud drum. Once i get it all setup i will post pictures and a description.

here is their site: http://www.redlinepumps.com/

Last edited:

goldwing2000

Banned
Let us know how that works out. I was also thinking of trying that one.
Will do. I'm hoping to start putting it together tomorrow.

I have been slowly gathering parts for a WMO filter system.
Here is a Spin-On Water Block Filter I found.
Do you think it will work on a oil filter system?

Goldenrod Spin-On Water Block Filter and Cap — 1in. Fittings , Model# 596 | Oil Filters + Fuel Filters | Northern Tool + Equipment
Tractor Supply has that identical filter setup for $24.99. It's rated at 10 microns, so you should probably use a pre-filter and you'll most likely have to thin the oil before you filter it.

Hooty481

you mentioned that a pump from a chevy 350 would work and i have a couple chevy 4.3 v6 engines one has a spun rod bearing other is just old... i was just wondering if they would bethe same since a 4.3 is a 350 minus 2 cylinders...

goldwing2000

Banned
Let us know how that works out. I was also thinking of trying that one.
Finally got the system set up today and it works awesome. I'm using a 250 gallon fuel oil tank for storage/mixing. It comes out of the tank through a ball valve and into a short flex line (so I can mount the tank at an angle). From the flex line into the 33 micron filter (NAPA 1553) on the suction side, another ball valve and then into the pump.
From the pump, it goes into a wye. One side of the wye has a gate valve that controls flow to a clear tube and then back into the tank for mixing and extra filtering. The other side of the wye goes to a pressure valve, 10 micron filter, another ball valve and then to a quick-connect for the output to the vehicle.

The pump actually has enough flow to feed both sides of the wye simultaniously but I can close off the bypass gate valve if I need more pressure.

I have a vent on the tank and a fill port where the mixer hose goes back in. I have to dump the fuel in manuall for now but I have ideas to plumb in a suction line.

I'm trying to upload pics but they don't seem to be cooperating. :| I'll try again later. There's corned beef to eat and irish car bombs to drink!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks