• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste oil Filtration system

goldwing2000

Banned
Goldwing: Does your setup filter the oil going in or out? How does it work? I like the theory of the setup, but I am kind of lost as to how it would operate.
It appears, to my non-engineering eye, that you can pump into the holding tank and out of it, by use of the gate valves.

Looks like you can pre-filter the waste oil going in, and finish filter the stuff coming out.

That's a nice setup, sure would like to do that here soon. I love driving the Deuce, but diesel is still around $3.50 per gallon here.

I figure the farmers here have lots of waste oil during planting and harvesting season, gonna have to go talk to some of my friends.

LC
How come you have a return going back to the tank? is that to relieve some of the pressure going to the filters?
I thought it was so he could cycle it through that first filter and then back into the tank.
Sorry I missed the front end of this conversation. I think it happened when I was banned or something.

Anyway, the setup in the pics worked thusly:
Oil was introduced into the syatem by dumping directly into the tank, via the 2" pipe on top of the tank.
Then oil was then circulated through the 30 micron filter and (using the gate valves, as LongueCarabine surmised) either returned back into the tank or pushed through the 10 micron filter and out to the vehicle (also used a pressure regulator since the HF pump doesn't like to be dead-headed).

Now... that being said, the system has gone through EXTENSIVE modification and rework in the past four months. Among the additions are a heater barrel (got nailed with some watery oil), a bag filter (the spin-ons were clogging too fast), a water separator and a direct suction line for drawing from 275-gallon totes or 55-gal barrels. The filters are also now all on the pressure side of the pump (mixed feelings on that).

If anybody is interested, I can take some more pics and go through all the details of the new system.

Last edited:

goldwing2000

Banned
So assuming that the used motor oil is run through a filter, and that either the ratio of oil to fuel oil is something like 5% OR that the motor oil is mixed 50:50 with kero, would it work? Reason is that I need to get rid of 30 gallons or so of used motor oil to get rid of and I can easily do that over the course of time, 2 or 3 gallons at a time.
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend putting anything besides fuel oil through a fuel oil furnace. If something goes wrong, it's inside your house and safety is a major concern. Fuel oil is almost the same viscosity as diesel fuel (I've found) and thickening it with used engine oil just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Best bet is to find somebody near you who has a deuce or a waste oil furnace and give/sell it to them. Check craigslist.

Well, I'd love to see pics of your modified system. I really want to start collecting and filtering some WMO, diesel is outrageously expensive. If I can cut my cost to 1/4 of what is currently is, I will be very happy.

LC

Sorry I missed the front end of this conversation. I think it happened when I was banned or something.

Anyway, the setup in the pics worked thusly:
Oil was introduced into the syatem by dumping directly into the tank, via the 2" pipe on top of the tank.
Then oil was then circulated through the 30 micron filter and (using the gate valves, as LongueCarabine surmised) either returned back into the tank or pushed through the 10 micron filter and out to the vehicle (also used a pressure regulator since the HF pump doesn't like to be dead-headed).

Now... that being said, the system has gone through EXTENSIVE modification and rework in the past four months. Among the additions are a heater barrel (got nailed with some watery oil), a bag filter (the spin-ons were clogging too fast), a water separator and a direct suction line for drawing from 275-gallon totes or 55-gal barrels. The filters are also now all on the pressure side of the pump (mixed feelings on that).

If anybody is interested, I can take some more pics and go through all the details of the new system.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'd love to see pics of your modified system. I really want to start collecting and filtering some WMO, diesel is outrageously expensive. If I can cut my cost to 1/4 of what is currently is, I will be very happy.

LC
Yes, I would love to see your new mods as well.

goldwing2000

Banned
Ok, here we go...

1: Storage Tank
2: Processing/Heating Tank (standard 55-gal drum with two extra 3/4" bungs welded in)
3: 750W Heating Band (Duda Diesel)
4: Waste/Sediment Drain
5: Processed Fuel Outlet (1" off bottom)
6: Thermocouple
7: Thermometer
8: External Suction/Storage Tank Drain Line
9: Storage Tank Shutoff
10: Processing Tank Isolation Valve
11: Pump (Harbor Freight "Clear Water" pump)
12: Bypass Valve for Canister Filters
13: Throttle Valve for Output Pressure
14: Bag Filter Housing (nested 100 Micron & 50 Micron from Duda Diesel)
15: Vent
16: Output Valve to Processing Tank
17: Bag Filter Overflow Port
18: Oil Level Sight Tube
19: 33 Micron Filter
20: 10 Micron Filter
21: 60psi Pressure Gauge
22: Shutoff Valve to Output to Vehicle
23: Output Valve to Storage Tank
24: Water Separator (15 micron)
25: Quick-Disconnect Fitting
26: Static-Free Fuel Transfer Hose
27: Fuel Nozzle
28: 275-Gallon Storage/Pickup Totes
29: Front Deuce Springs for Rear of Bobber :)
30: Transfer Hose to Suction Line in Shed
31: The only part of the system visible to the outside world

Questions, comments?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks