• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste oil Filtration system

plym49

If used motor oil through a 5 micron filter gets it filtered well enough to not clog up a diesel injector, then why not do the same thing to augment home heating oil?

goldwing2000

Banned
If used motor oil through a 5 micron filter gets it filtered well enough to not clog up a diesel injector, then why not do the same thing to augment home heating oil?
It's not just about the filtering. Fuel oil furnaces are not designed to run on multiple fuels. Multi-fuel diesel engines are. Home heating oil is much thinner than WMO, so you would most like run into pumping issues due to the viscosity and burning issues due to the fact that a furnace does not use compression ignition to light the fire.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice! That is what I have been thinking of doing for a while now. Been collecting parts for it, might start on my version soon.

goldwing2000

Banned
Dose anyone know if the water blocker filters work on WMO?

And I'm gona copy your system. What did it cost less the tank $150.00? Great job.
The water blocker filters should work fine on WMO. It's all about differences in density, so the thicker the oil, the better it should work... theoretically. I don't have a water blocker on mine but if I decide I need one, I'm going to get the clear bowl type, so I can bake and reuse the filter.

Fuel Oil Tank: $60 on craigslist
Pump with 2yr extended warranty: $50 at HF
2 Filter housings: $40 at Family Farm and Home ($50 at TSC)
Misc Valves and fittings: already had or "borrowed" from work :D
8' of 1" clear braided hose: $17.12 at Home Depot
Large funnel: $4.99 at TSC
Grounded plug for pump: dug out of "electrical crap" box in garage

So yeah... I'm into this for about $170 total. If you had to buy all the plumbing parts, figure another $50-$100.
I also bought a second fuel oil tank (actually traded it for some tires that I had on craigslist for $60) that I plan to use for vegetable oil and I'll just move the pump and filters over (or plumb in another valve system). The only other expense I'm planning on is a 24V pump to mount on the truck for remote collection. That's another $170 at Family Farm & Home.

Family Farm & Home

This has become my new favorite store. They have a lot of the same stuff as TSC, just around 25% cheaper. Ufortunately, they're only in MI and one store in IN, but other states may have something similar. Shop around and buy local!!

Last edited:

plym49

It's not just about the filtering. Fuel oil furnaces are not designed to run on multiple fuels. Multi-fuel diesel engines are. Home heating oil is much thinner than WMO, so you would most like run into pumping issues due to the viscosity and burning issues due to the fact that a furnace does not use compression ignition to light the fire.
So assuming that the used motor oil is run through a filter, and that either the ratio of oil to fuel oil is something like 5% OR that the motor oil is mixed 50:50 with kero, would it work? Reason is that I need to get rid of 30 gallons or so of used motor oil to get rid of and I can easily do that over the course of time, 2 or 3 gallons at a time.

Jakob

Goldwing: Does your setup filter the oil going in or out? How does it work? I like the theory of the setup, but I am kind of lost as to how it would operate.

I filter my coffee with a dirty shock. It needs to have holes in it as i like a little grit at the bottom of the cup. Yes its safe to say used motor oil is cleaner than my coffee and may taste better to.

paulfarber

I plan on going low tech... I just ordered 3 filter bags 1, 10, 50 micron for $20 total (shipped)

I will nest them inside each other and let gravity do the work. I only plan on doing relatively clean motor oil (from family and friends cars) and very little volume.

I was considering the oil filter route but with the need to pipe them, buy mounts, filters clogging etc I think the bag method should be OK.

not sure how I will handle water... maybe just let it separate out in a holding bucket with a nozzle an inch or two up from the bottom.

AzBuckfever

Not to be a thread hijacker, but I have a stupid question. What type of oil do most of the tanker trucks haul, and will it work as fuel if properly filtered?

I ask because my uncle owns a trucking company that hauls oil (mainly for roads I think), but he also owns land which he leases to an oil refinery....so if it'll work, I have an unlimited supply when needed.

Bighurt

Not to be a thread hijacker, but I have a stupid question. What type of oil do most of the tanker trucks haul, and will it work as fuel if properly filtered?

I ask because my uncle owns a trucking company that hauls oil (mainly for roads I think), but he also owns land which he leases to an oil refinery....so if it'll work, I have an unlimited supply when needed.

Your post hints towards theft...which is not excepted in the MV community.

Petroleum products hauled in trucks vary from bunker c through gasoline. And all other liquid petroleum products used for cosmetics, etc.

AzBuckfever

I'm not quite sure how it would hint towards theft. Every day, they have excess oil which is left in the tankers. There's always left over oil. That's why I was asking because his primary use is for asphalt. Not sure how it could be left as it is my uncle who owns the trucks, the company, and the tankers; and he is the one who would GIVE it to me :D But as I said, I think it would be the wrong type and not necessarily a pretroleum product.

Bighurt

Sounds like Bituminous topping or asphalt, both are refined petroleum products I'm not sure either can be used as WO.

Your statement referring to the refinery as an unlimited supply. You didn't mentioned anything about waste oil from tanker clean out being offered up for grabs by your Uncle. It was your verbiage that implied theft. As I have access therefore I have the supply, kinda like a bank teller thinking nobody will notice if they skimmed a 100 off the till once a year.

Goldwing: Does your setup filter the oil going in or out? How does it work? I like the theory of the setup, but I am kind of lost as to how it would operate.
It appears, to my non-engineering eye, that you can pump into the holding tank and out of it, by use of the gate valves.

Looks like you can pre-filter the waste oil going in, and finish filter the stuff coming out.

That's a nice setup, sure would like to do that here soon. I love driving the Deuce, but diesel is still around $3.50 per gallon here.

I figure the farmers here have lots of waste oil during planting and harvesting season, gonna have to go talk to some of my friends.

LC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks