• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wd-40

CMSGT

I was told by a friend of mine that WD-40 will get a diesel started and works as well as ether without the potential problems, has anyone else ever heard of this? I'm leary of trying it but I really hate using ether.

Snarky

Gasoline on a rag, propane from a torch, WD-40.... The only think I wouldn't start a diesel with is ether. It can do some bad things to a diesel, it's too volatile and expands before top dead center.

greenjeepster

I could be wrong, but as far as I know wd-40 is the same old formula it always has been. I checked their site and googled new formula and nothing come up other than their new dispensing systems. i.e. The pen and trigger pro can.

CMSGT

So does anyone know if the new formula works? I guess they changed propellants in the 90s.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have not tried WD40. If it is suspected that the propane or butane used as the propellant in the can is partly responsible for the starting aid, our experience with propane power boost systems is that neither will ignite in a compression ignition engine without the diesel fuel ignition first being present. We tried running the engine on propane only after it was started to see if it would make it rev uncontrollably, and it just killed it.
We have had good luck with lighting and trimming an acetylene torch, then holding it near the intake so heated air is drawn in during the cranking cycle. The heated air helps the diesel fog ignite like it is summertime. No knock!
Regards Marti

greenjeepster

The liquid in WD-40 is a petroleum distillate, Stoddard solvent. It works well for removing cosmoline.
Been there, tried that, didn't work worth a damn, not from wood anyway. Their web site also says that the Stoddard Solvent speculation is incorrect.

Also just received this email from their customer service dept:

Thank you for contacting the WD-40 Company. We appreciate your interest and loyalty to our product. We are happy to say that we have not changed the formula of WD-40 and have no intentions of doing so.
Thank you again for contacting the WD-40 Company. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
Best regards,
Eva Zabowski
WD-40 Customer Service

Last edited:

CMSGT

CMSGT......... I believe you are correct in that they did change the propellant in WD-40. The new stuff does not seem to work as well as the old stuff. The formula for WD-40 has not changed just the propellant in the aerosol can. I have been using PYROIL starting fluid for years and have had no problem. However a lot of folks do not know that starting fluid generally comes in two strengths. Regular and Premium. I use the premium as it has a higher ether content and gets the job done quicker. By the way PYROIL starting fluid has the required lubricants in it to minimise the wear on the internal parts when using the product.

ADDED LATER:

Valvoline Pyroil Premium Ether Starting Fluid 11 Ounce SFR-11 America's Farm & Home Store

Some of the off the wall brands do not have the lubricants in them so beware.

Thanks! I have that type of starting fluid I am just worried about damaging my engine. My truck is in the mountains and this weeken will be my last shot at getting it out. I have had unsuccessful attempts at starting it due to the decrease in temperatures the last couple of weekends. It would almost start but then my batteries would go dead. It did fire with the starting fluid but didnt catch. I bought new batteries and will attempt to get it going this weekend, it is supposed to make it up to 45 so we shall see! With all of the remarks about starting fluid being bad I was looking for an alternative.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks