• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Welded Rears" on a Deuce??

tango0508

Hey guys, Im looking at a 1969 Jeep Deuce but have little knowledge about them. I have these questions if anyone can help me.

1. Seller says the truck has "welded rears" ? Good or bad?
How hard is it to change back to it's original configuration.

2. Seller doesnt know much about the engine only that it's a turbo diesal "not a power stroke" ?

Thanks for your help.

Livin the dream...

tango0508

Thanks,

If this a good thing or a bad thing? The guy said the rear tires on one side will skip a little depending on which way your turning. Doesnt sound good for the trans but im an amature.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ditto to Derrick's comment.

Plan on replacing both of the rear pumpkins (chunks, 3rd member, etc) with used take outs.

Also, the kind of people who do that kind of thing are also the kind of people who do other things that might be considered "bad".

I saw plenty of musclecars with homemade spools (welded spider gears) and that was never the only poor choice associated with the vehicle.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks,

If this a good thing or a bad thing? The guy said the rear tires on one side will skip a little depending on which way your turning. Doesnt sound good for the trans but im an amature.
Short background:

Differentials allow the left and right axle to rotate at different speeds. When you are moving forward and turn left, the passenger side tire rotates faster than the left, because it's having to travel a further distance. If this doesn't make sense, draw the tire tracks of a vehicle turning left on a sheet of paper, then measure their length.

So by welding the diffs, the axles are permanently locked so they always turn together, at the same speed. Going straight, or in the mud, this isn't a big deal.

But every time you deviate from a straight line, something has to give. If the welds are strong, it wears out tires as they slip, and/or it fatigues the axle/the diff or the weld. If the welds are no good, then they will eventually break.

I consider welded diffs to be a bad idea. if you want a locked axle, buy a posi/locker/spool (depending upon application).

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How much work and cost would you guess it would take to put it back to it's original configuration before something goes "bad"
I have no idea what 2 used chunks would cost-I wouldn't pay much, since they're so common. Maybe $100-200 each? I just don't know.

Swapping them out is just like a Ford 9" except the chunk comes out of the top, not the front.

For an amateur it's probably an all day job. And they're heavy. I've never swapped them with the axle still in the truck. You may have to pull the bed.

More experienced souls might have something to add here that I do not.

M1031CMT

Sounds like a bad buy unless you can get it really cheap.

The "turbo diesel" is likely a standard multi-fuel diesel engine you find in most M35 trucks.

Unless you want to use it as an off road only truck, you will definitely have to replace the pumpkins.

Like clinto stated, people who usually do this have done other questionable stuff to the truck.

With the amount of work and money you are likely going to need to spend on the truck I would look elsewhere. Unless, like I stated before, he is selling it really cheap.

There are lots of M35's out there in much better shape.

tango0508

I guess the bottom line is that if I get this truck I need to get it cheap if I plan on having the rears replaced or reconfigured back to normal.

M1031CMT

If you don't know much about the trucks, try and get another SS member in your area to go look at it with you. Or maybe get some pictures and post them here for others to give you a general idea what you are looking at in work.

But yeah. Get it cheap or find another truck. There are lots of people here that can help you find a better truck near by.

tango0508

The kid is asking $5000 for the truck. It runs great has new paint, power assist steering and a set of brand new tires not even on the truck yet. But Im guessing from what you guys are telling me Im gonna need those new tires sooner than later and most likely new "pumpkins" to

plym49

This sounds like a deal you should walk away from without looking back. Here's why:

From your questions, it does not sound like you are an expert on these vehicles. That is not a criticism, just an observation.

The seller is either similarly uninformed or a sharp character (the 'golly gee whiz, not a power stroke' might be an act).

If the seller is not informed, and did this to the truck, then at the very least the truck has taken a beating and at worst has been subject to other sinds of ignorance.

It the seller is a sharpie, then he did these things to the truck for a reason, and probably in support of some abusive things he did to/with the truck.

Now if you were an expert, you could look at the situation with a calculating eye and decide whether or not this is the truck for you.

But you're not. There are experts on this forum (I do not consider myself to be one of them), but they are not there with you looking at the truck, and even if they were, they don't know the extent of your desire to get deep, dollars-wise, into this vehicle.

So, again, 'go that way very very fast, and if something gets in your way, turn' - away from this deal.

With welded rear ends and the owner not knowing much I would be cautious some times trucks come along that have been run through a lot of mud and water and with out the proper up keep there could be lots of unseen damage to brakes and wheel bearings .

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
New paint, new tires and power steering might make me overlook the welded diff's. Some pics would be helpful.

1. Is it a winch? Air shift? Spring ride seat? Dropside? Etc.

2. How good is the paint-is it a crappy "spray bomb" job or did it get sandblasted, epoxy primed and properly painted?

3. Clean title?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks