• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Welded Rears" on a Deuce??

SMOKEWAGON66

Im by no means a pro mechanic, or a conisuer with enough rep to really weigh in on this, but if it were me honestly I'd walk away and find another truck. As someone else stated, there are plenty of Deuces out there for that price that are far better off mechanically then this one. This one is a good looking truck, but pretty paint wont help when you have to spend buku bucks just to roll it down to Fat Burgers on friday night. :| Just my opinion. If you like this truck, then offer 3G as opposed to 5 and tell him the 2 grand will be for getting new 3RD members lol...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go lower than 3K. 3K should get you a good running non winch truck. I don't think i'd go over 1700-1800 with the axles welded and whatever else is butchered on it that you don't know about.

tango0508

Thanks for your help guys I do appreciate it and Im gonna pass on the "welded rear" deuce and take another look at another deuce for sale online in NY.

Anyone ever ship a deuce? $$$$ or what. NY to south jersey ...... Its a 3 hr. drive at 80 mph and prob. 6 hrs. in a deuce.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup, you could spend another grand on that...

The cheapest way to get it home is to drive it back home. If it's up to the task.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of good advice ^^ think you are smart to walk from this one. Have seen plenty of nice trucks in NJ that I wished were on the left coast. I think you have plenty of great opportunity to buy a nice truck close to home and respect the restraint you are showing towards this one.

Don't walk, but rather trot away from this one. In that price range you can expect to find a ~really nice truck that won't need anything but some driving.

Good luck to you :beer:

phil2968

Before you walk I would take a jack to one rear axle and raise it off of the ground and verify they welded the diffs.
Think about the work someone would have to go through to weld both diffs. I would not trust the word of the seller.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the same thing...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very good point. I'm betting the "skipping" he mentioned is just the normal travel of the trucks rear suspension. It's a LOT of work to pull a 3rd member out of these trucks. Even more to get down to the spider gears.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you walk I would take a jack to one rear axle and raise it off of the ground and verify they welded the diffs.
Think about the work someone would have to go through to weld both diffs. I would not trust the word of the seller.
Put a chalk mark on the rear tires on both sides and drive it in a circle. It will be easy to tell if the differentials are welded. The marks will stay in the same position relative to each other.

tango0508

You guys got me thinking about this truck again.........the seller said it had "welded rears" which caused the tires to skip. If they are is there any way to change or fix it back to original set up without buying new rear axles?

tco3129

IMHO offer scrap price or RUN AWAY. Theres good cheap deuces ( 4000ish ) out there for newbies if you search. I know cause both of mine needed SOME work and the deals were reasonable. Good Luck

michigandon

Welded up spider gears= "hillbilly positraction". A VERY popular mod in the demo derby circle.

The previous posters in this thread are spot on. What other kinds of redneck engineering has this poor truck had to endure? I shudder at the thought and certainly wouldn't wanna undertake correcting it all.

phil2968

You guys got me thinking about this truck again.........the seller said it had "welded rears" which caused the tires to skip. If they are is there any way to change or fix it back to original set up without buying new rear axles?
It can be changed back, but make sure what he says is true. They may not be welded. Find out for yourself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks