• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Welded Rears" on a Deuce??

NJDEUCE

I did not look closely at the Fazzio truck, but my father did. He said it wasnt that great and that they wanted somewhere around 7,000 for it...PASS! George is very honest and knows what he is talking about.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you walk I would take a jack to one rear axle and raise it off of the ground and verify they welded the diffs.
Think about the work someone would have to go through to weld both diffs. I would not trust the word of the seller.

Jacking up one axle won't help, the other axle on the ground is connected by driveshaft and won't allow it to spin. Have to jack both rear's up on one side.

jesusgatos

Ditto to Derrick's comment.

Plan on replacing both of the rear pumpkins (chunks, 3rd member, etc) with used take outs.

Also, the kind of people who do that kind of thing are also the kind of people who do other things that might be considered "bad".

I saw plenty of musclecars with homemade spools (welded spider gears) and that was never the only poor choice associated with the vehicle.
There's nothing inherently wrong with welded differentials. All you're doing is turning an open differential into a spool. Not good or bad, more a matter of application. I'm probably going to weld-up one of my rear axles and then install locking hubs, and those of you who are familiar with my work know that I don't half-ass anything.

plym49

There's nothing inherently wrong with welded differentials. All you're doing is turning an open differential into a spool. Not good or bad, more a matter of application. I'm probably going to weld-up one of my rear axles and then install locking hubs, and those of you who are familiar with my work know that I don't half-ass anything.
A field expedient locker! Clever. I believe an issue is how well the spiders are welded. I understand that sometimes the weld can fail. Perhaps that only happens with slim shady weld jobs.

I assume you would weld/hub your rearmost axle.

jesusgatos

Yeah, there are definitely better/worse ways to weld-up a differential, and techniques vary depending on what kind of differential you're working with. But done right, there's really no chance that it's going to fail.

EWhytsell

I've had two rearends in the same pickup truck welded. Didn't break the stock 8" toyota axle and I later put in a full width GM 12 bolt and welded that. It is currently in the truck and working great.

I'd have no reservations about welding the axles on my duece, but mine isn't going to be driven much at all so tire wear and or steering difficulty aren't really issues to me. With the ability to simply put a locking hub(s) on the rear diff(s) I'm surprised its not much more common. Though <> $450 for a locker ain't bad either.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, if you've got welded spider gears (in any truck driven daily) avoid it! Period!!!

jesusgatos

In my opinion, if you've got welded spider gears (in any truck driven daily) avoid it! Period!!!
Try to avoid speaking in absolute terms, because there are always exceptions. For instance, would prefer a spool to a detroit-type locker (rear) in a short-wheelbase vehicles. Like my old CJ7. Chirped the tires a bit, but was much more predictable than a detroit. Lifted, flexy, lightweight, short-wheelbase vehicles that get driven on-road (especially in snow and on ice) can be a real handful.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only time I've ever welded the spiders was on demo derby cars. We did it real dirty. Pull the rear cover, stick a 6011 in there and go to welding, pour the oil back in that you drained out, and go. Of course the rear only had to hold up for around 30 min max. We finally quit doing it because although the extra traction was great, it was hard on axles. A welded rear does no good after you break a axle and most cars have semi-floating axles which means if you break a axle you loose a wheel.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've got enough third members and axles sitting around, you bet I'm gonna do it! I have spoken to people that changed the third member with the axle in the truck and that looks like what I'll do too. It will probably be a couple years before I get a "round tuit" but I will do it some day.

phil2968

Jacking up one axle won't help, the other axle on the ground is connected by driveshaft and won't allow it to spin. Have to jack both rear's up on one side.
Maybe I should explain. Jack up one rear axle, the whole axle with the jack placed under the pumpkin with both tires off the ground. With that axle off the ground on a stock deuce you can turn the tires. They will turn in opposite directions. If the diff is welded nothing will turn.