• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what branch/unit did your cucv serve with?

br44

Mine was 5th Armored Brigade, 2nd Battalion 356th Regiment based at Fort Carson Colorado. I purchased it at Nellis Air Force Base.

My M1009 was first issued to the Air Force at MacDill AFB where it was used until the mid 90's. It was then transfered to Patrick AFB, south of Cape Canaveral where I'm assuming it did little but rust away. The previous owner (first civilian owner) bought it a few years ago in a DRMO auction as a "project". After he realized he couldn't weld a new floor in, he sold it to me. I was lucky enough to get a folder full of paperwork which outlines delivery, transfer, inspections and services history. The truck has had three lift pumps installed but only has 55k on it :shock: I've always heard the AF was good about keeping up on things but my truck was not the case. Huge hole in the floor? Laminate some galvanized sheet metal over it with pop rivets. Yeah....

cucv1833

My new 1984 M1009 came from 1087 Trasportation Unit Louisiana National Gaurd Unit.
My M1008 is still unknown it had some markings but i painted over them.

Last edited:

Sardot1

My latest one, which I got from Nellis AFB, came from the Army Reserve at Ft. Hunter-Liggett, CA, as it had a recruiting sticker saying so on the back window. I also found oak leaves in it, which are all over Hunter-Liggett.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait, wait, WAIT a minute... how do you guys come by all these vehicle histories? Is there some kind of MV ancestry dot com or something? My M1008 has numbers all over the place, but have no idea which ones are relavent?:-(

Or is Google the answer?:doh:

DXTAC

Mine was from the Wisconsin Army National Guard (NASTY GIRLS :):

The 426th Regiment (RTI) Regional Training Institute is the Wisconsin National Guard's educational institution, providing a professional learning environment, quality instruction and training support. Through the Wisconsin Military Academy, housed at Fort McCoy, the 426th trains future leaders through its Officers Candidate School and Warrant Officer Candidate School. It also provides technical education for the basic field artillery Military Occupational Specialty qualifications and field artillery noncommissioned officer education system, as well as truck driving, combat lifesaving and other courses. The 426th has an assigned strength of more than 115 Soldiers.

WIARG 426th HQ4

TMI I know!! :cool:

lthairdog

I had a DD Form 1970, Motor Equipment Utilization Record, in the glove box indicating my M1009 that I purchased at Fort Meade was last assigned to 3-337/4th Cav/1 ADE. A quick search of Wikipedia reveals that this is 3rd Battalion, 3337th Regiment CS/CSS (which I interprept as Combat Support/Combat Service Support), 4th Cavalry Brigade, 1st Army (Division East). My vehicle's number is E-7. The numbers I can read through the paint confirm the above information.

Per Wikipedia, The 4th Cavalry Brigade is an AC/RC unit based at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The unit is responsible for training selected United States Army Reserve & National Guard units that are based East of the Mississippi River. The brigade was originally formed as an element of the 2nd Cavalry Division but was inactivated after the division was broken up. The unit was formerly designated as 4th Brigade, 85th Division. The brigade is a subordinate unit of 1st Army

Pops506th

According to the bumper numbers I was able to recover on the back of my M1010 ambulance, my truck was vehicle 3 of the 646th Medical Company (Ambulance) assigned to the 244th Medical Group, New York National Guard

From the info I was able to gather, the 646th was inactivated during the FY 97 reductions. The 646th was stationed at the Glens Falls NY armory.

Last edited:

idM1028

My 1028 (according to the previous owner) was used by the SC National Guard. A post run around for getting mail and what-not IIRC. Unfortunately, the previous owner had it repainted so theres no exterior markings on it anymore :(

DIESELGREEN

Ok how about this...my 86 1008 front bumper and tailgate read 73.ORD on the left and TAC 18 on the right... what's confusing though, is that it's got a painted-over seabees logo and unit number on both doors (unit number 94-24386)...the doors are lettered and numbered EXACTLY like the doors of the truck in SOUTHDAVE's avatar...can't figure out those bumper numbers though, they were not painted over but the seabees numbering and lettering on the doors were. You can tell the whole truck was painted long ago while it was in service and only the stenciled numbers on the front and back were left visible. Any clues????

edpdx

Mine was from a support group at Moffet Field, CA. I found the decal from the unit online and was thinking about adding it to the lower drivers side corner of the tailgate, or drivers front quarter panel where the emblem usually is found. Then I found something in the paint TM about not identifying, unit ID anymore than what is in the bumper numbers. Soooo, I guess I better refrain.

48cj2a

My m1008 is an old Airforce Cucv unlike the marines and army and the national Guard the Airforce didnt mark thiers the same way the airforce used 2 digits (21,35,78 all examples ) I can see it now a row of airforce trucks numbered 1-78 ;)so i have no idea where mine came from im not even sure if u can find out now anyways if someone knows feel free to correct me i would love to know some my cucvs history

If you have an USAF M Series vehicle from at least 1980 on and has a number other that the following format the unit did it on their own. The USAF went to a license plate looking placards with the vehicle ID number only on them and it was usally on the rear left. Before that it would have been stenciled on front and rear bumpers with US Airforce Use Only on the doors Duces and 5 tons had the numbers on the sides of the hoods also.

85KXXXX
85 vehicle year
K - M Series
X's - reg number

darkserra

My black M1009's last unit before hitting DRMO was the Nebraska NG doing counter-drug work. They painted her flat black and then pulled out most of the light bulbs in the dash.

BikerBi11

One of my m1010s was just USMC issue. all the paper work I have found shows that this truck has only 3,500 miles on it. the other one came from an Idaho town and they have removed all of the markings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks