• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What could cause this EMERGENCY

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if you don't have to have a CDL, you have to have an air brake endorsement to run a vehicle with air brakes. I have a non-CDL but had to get an air brake endorsement to legally drive my MV - This poster showed us why.
Not in TN. I have my class A CDL but it's not required for a air-brake truck up to 80K if it's tagged for farm use and is operated within 150 miles of the farm.

stampy

Seems like they would have found a way to protect the air lines from the chance of a exhaust leak. I think I would try to figure out how to replace the plastic line with something more robust in potentially hot areas if it were my truck.

Coldfusion21

I read the title as "what could cause this emergency " not what could cause this, emergency!"

But I guess that's just me.

As for the air brake thing it doesn't sound like he was confused about what happened, but why. and how he should diagnose.

Definitely a case for a good pre trip inspection though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my M936 the good soldiers had done some electrical and air line field mods. There were both wires and air lines either in contact with or in close proximity to exhaust parts. The plastic lines are easier to deal with but take some extra care for heat and abrasion over the copper lines found on the older stuff.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the title as "what could cause this emergency " not what could cause this, emergency!"
This thread is a GREAT example of using a well thought out title.

I would have put something with "M923" and "brake problems" in the title.

That would have made it easier in the future for someone looking for a solution to thier airbrake issues.

Diver, glad you found the issue with your truck and it is a simple fix.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
muffler blow out

Wow, I read this post and went holy Toledo!

I picked up an M923 out of Fort Polk and was driving it back to New Orleans. Muffler was fine as I let it idle quite some time while I did a walk around and no exhaust leak. 250 miles or so recovery. About 80 miles from home, The bottom of the muffler blew out. Maybe 1/3 of the bottom end panel is gone. It got soot everywhere, was noisy, & smelly but I must had an angel with me because those lines never gave me trouble.

I went and double checked them today. Still have tan carc paint over-spray (she was od green originally) but nothing melted, no soft spots etc. Heck they did not even get sooted like everything else higher. They sit about a foot and half away.

I count my stars.

Diverman, glad nobody was hurt and could have been a heck of alot more dramatic problem.

Thanks for sharing so we can be aware!

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you for all of you who understood the reason for the detailed explaination of what happened. And yes coldfusion you are exactly correct in the way the title was meant and stated. Thank you. The GVW is 31600 and as long as I stay in Michigan the state told me I don't need a cdl. They titled the truck as a pick up. They don't even have MV's in their list to choose from.

Last edited:

m816

Hey driverman, Isn't Michigan the land of trucks with multiple axels and tires running the whole length of the trucks,trailers? I would have thought they must have the most restrictive laws in the country. Glad you made it home safely.

maxxplanck

m816

Hey driverman, Isn't Michigan the land of trucks with multiple axels and tires running the whole length of the trucks,trailers? I would have thought they must have the most restrictive laws in the country. Glad you made it home safely.

m816, you think we would have some more restricted laws for our state but it states "In Michigan it is dependant on use,
If you do anything commercial with it, you would need the appropriate CDL, due to it's weight & air brakes.

On private use, CDL / DOT not required.
A CDL or Commercial Drivers License (in Michigan) is just that Commercial"

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maxxplanck The written test is free but you still have to take a road test through a 3rd party testor with a truck that will pass a commercial inspection . The road test ussually cost a couple hundred bucks if you supply the truck.

rickf

OK, I do not own a 900 series truck so I am no expert but do they not have a maxibrake type of system where when you lose all air the rear brakes lock up? In Divermans case it sounds like only one axle applied and he was able to over ride it. Might want to look into that! I will not debate the CDL thing but I will say be sure to read up on all of the rules pertaining to air brakes. They, and the system itself, are a lot different than regular brakes. If you do not have auto bleeders be SURE to bleed your air tanks EVERY day. EVERY tank.

Rick

Last edited:

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes M816 it is and our roads show it, but they have less as far as requirements. I am putting up some so you can see what it did. I think that in loosing all systems at once as soon as the first one failed, the back up systems failed I thought to use the only manual brake within seconds, the hand brake. even getting the truck home. I guess my Nascar drivers license driving 200 mph 6" from other cars helped me think fast. These are my cars with me driving all of them. Mark

Attachments

rickf

Dang Mark, You got some nice looking legs there kneeling down next to your car. :lol:

Race training does have its advantages. It has saved my butt on more than one occasion.

Rick

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does anyone know what is going with the server. everytime I try to look at the link a box comes up and says duplicate server and it has to be fixed by the admin then takes me to a youtube video

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks