• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Another Ahab

To determine eligibility for a CDL the crime fighters go by the design weight which is displayed on a plaque usually on the driver's door frame. You cannot register the truck for more than it is designed to carry, but "under registering" to beat the CDL requirement isn't going to work as registered weight is not the criterion.
Is that standard state-by-state, or is it a national standard (D.O.T.), do you know?

77 AMG

To determine eligibility for a CDL the crime fighters go by the design weight which is displayed on a plaque usually on the driver's door frame. You cannot register the truck for more than it is designed to carry, but "under registering" to beat the CDL requirement isn't going to work as registered weight is not the criterion.
Going to DIS-agree with you on this one. Kentucky WILL let you register, as a FARM tag plated vehicle, a 5 ton like an M 813 UNDER the max tag weight of 38K. Stay under 26,001 and you are NOT subject to DOT regs. This per the County Clerk, who speaks as a state employee, needing to be fully aware of such things. Also, my not-so-friendly DOT representative. Also, NO mileage from home limitation on Farm plated vehicles anymore.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats probably a farm thing, nothing to do with weight. No CDL required in Indiana for a farm vehicle regardless of weight.

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been told, quite pointedly, by passer-by experts in parking lots, such things as...

- The un-occupied pinion flange on my front axle is... "the power take-off for a winch"
- My Bobbed Deuce is...
"without question an M37"
- "All deuces have 8 lugs per wheel! Someone must've modified yours to only have 6 lugs"
- "If you bump the throttle just right going up a steep incline, the deuce tranny will shift into reverse"
- "If you split shift Low 1-5, then High 4-5, you can get a deuce up to about 85 mph"

No, I'm not joking. I've learned not to argue, but to just say, "don't mean to be rude, but I have a lot of stops to make and need to go, have a nice day"
****! I’ll be split shifting from now on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasttruck

Reference post 9196: the CDL standard is a federal thing and is supposed to be nationwide to prevent the drivers from shopping around for the state with the easiest test. New Jersey, for instance, did not have a classified licensing system until the CDL appeared in 1992. The government also sets standards for equipment construction and weight standards on interstate highways. Now, in the name of highway safety the feds want to impose a requirement for 30 hours of supervised trailing to get an initial issue CDL. This is on top of electronic logging of time in service and ever increasing emissions standards. And the industry is crying about a drivers shortage now.

On the point of under registering a CMV to evade CDL requirements, this is not going to fly as the pinheads in DOT will claim you could load it over 26,000 pounds and the CDL will be required. "Farm"
vehicles apparently do not count as CMVs as do not fire trucks and recreational vehicles that as commercial vehicles would require a CDL.This is why you see trucks without air brakes rated at 25,900 pounds to evade the CDL requirement. Or people delivering radioactive isotopes to dentists offices in hatchback cars with placards as a CLD with hazmat endorsement is required regardless of weight if the vehicle is required to display a placard.

77 AMG

Registration states "declared" GVW, and for personal use it is a NON DOT issue, as LONG AS YOU stay BELOW THE BREAK. Hit the "magic" weight, and feel the love of the DOT- DOT number, KYU, IFTA, logs, timeclock. No thanks. Played that game for over 19 years.

fasttruck

As poster 9201 is obviously a man of experience he would know that the feds in their infinite wisdom have defined a commercial vehicle (CV) as a property carrying vehicle RATED for over 26,000 pounds GV or GCW or a passenger carrying vehicle occupied by more than 16 people including the driver. Any 900 series MV would exceed this threshold at which point the CDL, IFTA, IRP, USDOT and a lengthy of other compliances kick in. Under registering your vehicle will not help as the rated weight or manufactured weight is the criterion. To escape this trap you have to get your vehicle registered as a recreational or farm use vehicle or whatever your state allows for "non commercial use." Otherwise you will come to understand why "DOT" is an acronym for "death on truckers." And of course this approach opens up another maze in determining if you can insure a m911 as a "non commercial vehicle." And if you "bob" a 5 ton and alter its weight naturally you will have no problem signing off to the feds that it now meets all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Some people up in New York are having problems if a stretch limo they owned and was involved in a multi fatality accident was legally altered and if the alterations played a part in the accident. The same people who investigate airplane crashed are conducting this one.

fasttruck

Not to be a spoiled sport, but compliance issues ort lack thereof become a problem when hungry lawyers are circling and your collector car insurance carrier is balking at paying the claim.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats probably a farm thing, nothing to do with weight. No CDL required in Indiana for a farm vehicle regardless of weight.
Back to Kentucky; No CDL required for Farm vehicles. Trucks over 26K lbs, an annual physical is required, Records of physical need to be available for LEO. I've got Farm tags on M813, M931A1, M925, and M936. County Sheriff asked if I was healthy when I had the wrecker inspected.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-what pain? -now where is my glass? Back to trucks... my AF deuce will get Farm tags when I get it road worthy. Need to go through the brake system.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never thought I'd post to this thread again but here we go. I got this M35A2C in yesterday from auction and she's in good shape. Started with new batteries and everything works. 88' Airforce Deuce. I need to replace the tail lights are they are MIA.

Attachments

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never thought I'd post to this thread again but here we go. I got this M35A2C in yesterday from auction and she's in good shape. Started with new batteries and everything works. 88' Airforce Deuce. I need to replace the tail lights are they are MIA.
Air Force mean split system brakes!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet.....

Once again it is proven....

The GREEN IRON ADDICTION is strong in this one.

I'm jealous. Those Air Force brakes just make for such a safer Deuce.

(SIGH)

Carry on.

Another Ahab

You must be one happy camper.

Nice score, one clean machine!

Nomad1

sound like a nice rig so what other goodies does it have besides the brakes?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Force mean split system brakes!
You are correct!
2019-06-27 20.36.35-1.jpg
Sweet.....

Once again it is proven....

The GREEN IRON ADDICTION is strong in this one.

I'm jealous. Those Air Force brakes just make for such a safer Deuce.

(SIGH)

Carry on.
You are so correct on all those points. :mrgreen:

You must be one happy camper.

Nice score, one clean machine!
It looks like it but the forklift got the fuel tank and toolbox. I'll have to pull and replace those. :roll:

sound like a nice rig so what other goodies does it have besides the brakes?
It had heater, hard top (obviously), parking brake upgrade w/ dash light, and it looks like they wired in a 7 way trailer plug on the rear. Unfortunately someone seemed to really want the tail lights so they removed them and cut the harness so I'll have to dig into that to see if it's worth running a new harness or repairing it. Still..an uncommon feature even on an AF deuce.

2019-06-27 20.37.53-1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks