• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally had some time to work on the truck. Got the new J-pipe on, exhaust stack painted & back on, air pressure gauge hose on, top winch plate also painted & installed. Tomorrow the rear splash guards & new mud flaps will be installed. Also touched up the paint on the air cleaner housing too...

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turned my W/OW into a W/W on Friday. Cosmetically for now until I get the PTO installed and read up on what kind of hole I have to punch in the floor pan for the control lever.

Also deleted my intake flame heater after finding a large amount of fuel in my crankcase.

Until I get a hold of an air shift transfer case, she's sidelined in the driveway. Without 6x6, I'm basically driving it to China with how wet the ground is in the woods these days.View attachment 784863View attachment 784864View attachment 784865

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Turned my W/OW into a W/W on Friday. Cosmetically for now until I get the PTO installed and read up on what kind of hole I have to punch in the floor pan for the control lever.

Also deleted my intake flame heater after finding a large amount of fuel in my crankcase.

Until I get a hold of an air shift transfer case, she's sidelined in the driveway. Without 6x6, I'm basically driving it to China with how wet the ground is in the woods these days.View attachment 784863View attachment 784864View attachment 784865

92ramaro. My truck is a 1971 and I upgraded it to a W/W a couple years ago. Here are a couple pics of my winch control lever. There is already a hole in the floor for your winch control lever. There should be a plate in an oval hole held in place by a couple spot welds, use a small grinder to knock off one of the welds, then just bend the plate back and forth until the other weld gives. There should be two threaded holes just to the left of the oval hole, this is for your winch lock out plate. You'll need to drill 2 holes in your transmission tunnel cover, and these are for your PTO shift pattern data plate. PS. Read the TMs to set the correct lash between the PTO and transmission gears. This is critical, and it's done by using different thickness PTO gaskets, I think they come in .010 and .020 You don't want the lash to tight ! Hope this helps.

Attachments

92ramaro

92ramaro. My truck is a 1971 and I upgraded it to a W/W a couple years ago. Here are a couple pics of my winch control lever. There is already a hole in the floor for your winch control lever. There should be a plate in an oval hole held in place by a couple spot welds, use a small grinder to knock off one of the welds, then just bend the plate back and forth until the other weld gives. There should be two threaded holes just to the left of the oval hole, this is for your winch lock out plate. You'll need to drill 2 holes in your transmission tunnel cover, and these are for your PTO shift pattern data plate. PS. Read the TMs to set the correct lash between the PTO and transmission gears. This is critical, and it's done by using different thickness PTO gaskets, I think they come in .010 and .020 You don't want the lash to tight ! Hope this helps.
Genuinely good info to be sharing and I appreciate it Tracer.

There's probably a large number of folks like myself who are wondering why a TM that covers modifying W/OW to W/W doesnt exist. (Unless it does and I'm too dense to find it)

Speaking of modifying...
Got the airshift transfer case installed after a 5 hour Christmas gathering delay. Ran the air lines for the newly mounted switch and just confirmed that the front output engaged before I call it quits. Just hearing the thing lock in with the flip of a switch makes me even more bitter towards whoever thought Sprag operated units were a good design.

View attachment 785807View attachment 785808

Kf4wnc

Drove him to work.

Two co-workers boarded the truck during lunch and assumed the positions of driver and co-driver. The dashcam was running and picked up their conversation. Transcript follows:

CO-DRIVER: Is it a 5-speed?

DRIVER: Dunno. Oh, wait a minute... Look at this (noticed the shift pattern diagram on the dash).

(Counting out loud) One ... Two ... Three ... (long pause) ... That's weird...

20191111_063033.jpg

USMCGunny

I changed the door no problems. now I have a working window and better door seals. I have insulated my heater hose as well as heater duct to cab,this all adds up to a warmer cab.Last night was about 5 deg above,tonight it will be well below 0 deg.
I insulated the back of the cab with a 1/2 thick closed foam rubber padding that comes in 24x24 inch sheets. Does wonder keeping truck warm. This summer when I go to pull all the old wiring out from under the dash I will do the underside of it as well.

Noico RED 315 mil 20 sqft Сar Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell Deadening Material (PE Foam Sound Deadener)
Gets mighty cold in Virginia.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got both rear splash guards repaired & working on getting the 50 plus years of paint stripped off before I repaint them. Also got the Pioneer tool kit installed on the truck with the tie straps my dad got me...

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SC, I need to get a Pioneer Tool Kit for my truck. I think I've been procrastinating for 6 or 7 years now. I got it, get a Pioneer tool kit for my New Years resolution.

92ramaro

Well...
Finished my air shift install last Sunday and wasn't able to test it out until yesterday.

All I can say is how awesome it is to KNOW that you're locked into 6x6 instead of hoping a stupid sprag is working when the wheels start spinning. We had an awesome day yesterday and I'm very happy with my Kaiser.

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...
Finished my air shift install last Sunday and wasn't able to test it out until yesterday.

All I can say is how awesome it is to KNOW that you're locked into 6x6 instead of hoping a stupid sprag is working when the wheels start spinning. We had an awesome day yesterday and I'm very happy with my Kaiser.
Glad you got it installed and it's working ok. I can't imagine not having an air shift. (y)

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SC, I need to get a Pioneer Tool Kit for my truck. I think I've been procrastinating for 6 or 7 years now. I got it, get a Pioneer tool kit for my New Years resolution.
I got super lucky & found two of them at local rallies. I have one on the Deuce & one on my 5ton as well. If you have Facebook then start by looking on Facebook market & Craigslist too. Ebay has them, but they are always asking too much for them.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mail find today from Rapco Military Parts & also got a replacement air hose from Midwest Military Equipment. The air hose was defective & the guys over at Midwest sent me a new one out. Thanks for both companies for fast shipping & great parts...

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been bad about doing anything to the Deuce so since the yard is getting pretty empty I thought I would give it a quick wash job and keep it under cover for now. Need to start getting it back in better shape as I seem to have forgotten to give it any TLC. The 1088 can keep it company while I make plans and for the new year.

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floridianson, I like your vehicle cover, I'm planning on installing one asap to cover my Deuce, as the sun here oxidizes the paint in short order. I'm going to repaint the truck this spring and would like to keep it looking nice for awhile. Floridianson who manufactured your cover?

fpchief

Floridianson, I like your vehicle cover, I'm planning on installing one asap to cover my Deuce, as the sun here oxidizes the paint in short order. I'm going to repaint the truck this spring and would like to keep it looking nice for awhile. Floridianson who manufactured your cover?
And what length legs are on it?

His is much better than mine. I leaned against it the other day and I noticed that it felt better built than mine.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forget the manufacture. Yea they add four extra vertical braces on mine. In the pic you can see the second legs back from the front on both sides has the extra brace and the second to last legs has them to. Don't know if that is the way they do it on mine or because of the extra height for wind load. I have the extra height because I wanted to be able to run the boom of one of the cranes in and above to do engine / trans. swaps. I would be scared to even try to do a Deuce a 5 ton transmission or transfer case by lifting it from the bottom. That's the way people get hurt. Over head with lots of cable work like a charm if you have a soft top or beam through the rear window to front windshield is a safe bet with a chain hoist. Also my carport was just to keep me out of the Sun and still let air flow through all sides. If I was going to keep the property I would get the extra side panels and run them all the way down to close of both sides.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks