• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a nifty surprise today. I went to start Brutus up and he barely cranked over. Not nearly enough to start. Geez, I just drove him last week. It could be that the batteries I bought in 2013 have finally bit the dust. The battery fluid level was perfect. I'll have to check the belt adjustment. The charging gauge has been in the green. Oh, and to make it even niftier, one of the battery box handles came off in my hand leaving a cigarette pack sized hole in the box. What fun MVs can be. The inside of the battery box is totally corroded. I'll be getting a new one of those.
Dipstick, I also had a metal BB that rusted through. So I got one of the newer plastic boxes a couple years ago, and all is well. DSCF2840.JPG I got the data stickers from either Bigmike or on e-bay.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Dipstick, I had a metal BB that rusted through. So I got one of the newer plastic boxes a couple years ago, and all is well. View attachment 830118 I got the data stickers from either Bigmike or on e-bay.
Tracer thanks for the post and pic! I just ordered a plastic battery box myself. It should have it pretty soon. I guess you drilled the plastic box and repositioned the handles?

Dipstick

View attachment 830117 One of the jobs I hate to do every 2 to 3 years.....front axle dust boots and clamps. If someone made dust boots that would last several years, he would be a Millionaire. (y)
True about the boots. I've actually gotten so good at it, that I almost don't mind doing it anymore. The first time I did it, I got these cheap Chinese made boots and their I.D. was too small. Every time I tried to stretch them over the grooves they popped off before I could get the clamps on. I worked on them all day without success. I used every foul word I knew more than once. The solution was to have my son "Soldier B" hold one half on while I did the other. With "Soldier B" assisting it went very quickly.

Dipstick

Hey guys, I think I know what my issue is however I wanted some input. So my starter has been completely rebuilt & tested so its good. I have new group 31 batteries, cables are all good and a new starter button as well. I hit the start button the starter solenoid clicks so I'm thinking just replace it & I should be good. Checked all my cables for corrosion, they are clean & ground are tight. Any other suggestions or do you think I'm right about the solenoid?? Is there a way to double check the solenoid??
I've replaced the solenoid twice myself. Try this first. Give the solenoid a few light raps with a hammer. Sometimes the plunger gets stuck. I once got stuck 20 miles from home on a snowy, cold day due to my solenoid. The hammer trick got me started. I ordered a new one when I got home. I always carry tools and wire when I go for a drive.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer thanks for the post and pic! I just ordered a plastic battery box myself. It should have it pretty soon. I guess you drilled the plastic box and repositioned the handles?
Dipstick, the BB came as pictured. I had to drill two holes in the BB support rails so the handles could lock down as pictured. Then the diaper pins lock the handles. When installed, check the backside of the BB to make sure all the cables are routed properly. (not chaffing)

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True about the boots. I've actually gotten so good at it, that I almost don't mind doing it anymore. The first time I did it, I got these cheap Chinese made boots and their I.D. was too small. Every time I tried to stretch them over the grooves they popped off before I could get the clamps on. I worked on them all day without success. I used every foul word I knew more than once. The solution was to have my son "Soldier B" hold one half on while I did the other. With "Soldier B" assisting it went very quickly.
Dipstick, I'll be 67 in a couple months. My arthritis always reminds me how much I dislike this job. What I dislike even more is knowing the job needs to be done, and not doing anything about it. So I have to get with it like it or not. We have the big MVCC gathering the last week of April 2021, and the truck has to be right. It's 380mi each way for me and my Navigator. The only advice I can give is don't get old. 🧓

Dipstick

Dipstick, the BB came as pictured. I had to drill two holes in the BB support rails so the handles could lock down as pictured. Then the diaper pins lock the handles. When installed, check the backside of the BB to make sure all the cables are routed properly. (not chaffing)
Thanks again Tracer! I don't know if I have the tabs with holes that the pins/handles drop into on my truck. I think that my cross-piece is rusted on Brutus too. I may have to cut it out and replace it using my much admired stick and blob welding technique. I certainly know what you mean about cable chaffing when you push the box all the way in.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again Tracer! I don't know if I have the tabs with holes that the pins/handles drop into on my truck. I think that my cross-piece is rusted on Brutus too. I may have to cut it out and replace it using my much admired stick and blob welding technique. I certainly know what you mean about cable chaffing when you push the box all the way in.
Dipstick, I had to drill the holes in the support rails. I haven't modified the plastic BB in any way.

Dipstick

So what my deuce did to me today. I took it on its and mine first maiden voyage to Grandmas for dinner about 35 min away. Found out my heater core still leaking after being repaired mine also has a dented tube from being over tightened even though I clamped after it it’s still dripping going to bypass the heater core. So I make it to Grandmas go to leave and my DS window has come off track the clips fell off it won’t go up, it’s warm out no problem turned my lights on “push button switch” checked high beams went to pull out headlights went out, my switch blinked and went all blue headlights would not come back on. I play around with that to no avail nothing shut truck off parking lights still on won’t turn off flipped switch on and off still nothing, disc neg terminal they went out put terminal back on markers light up truck still turned off, took negative terminal back off drove grandmas car home deuce still at grandmas lol I think it hates me. after doing some research I believe my switch is bad going to put a lever switch on. New tires did well truck drove great with the wobble does not like going up hills loves going down them. So tomorrow wife will follow me home and I’ll let you guys know what happens
Sounds like a incorrectly wired switch to me. I'd go with the Stock lever switch unit myself. I changed mine years ago. They're a bit of a pain to install, but worth it. As far as uphill/downhill Deuces are sometimes referred to as Dragonflies. They drag uphill and fly downhill.

Dipstick

Hey guys, I think I know what my issue is however I wanted some input. So my starter has been completely rebuilt & tested so its good. I have new group 31 batteries, cables are all good and a new starter button as well. I hit the start button the starter solenoid clicks so I'm thinking just replace it & I should be good. Checked all my cables for corrosion, they are clean & ground are tight. Any other suggestions or do you think I'm right about the solenoid?? Is there a way to double check the solenoid??
I think you are correct about the solenoid. It sounds to me like the plunger inside is stuck. It happened to me. I didn't even get a click from the solenoid, so I thought the starter switch could be bad. So I ran a 12 ga. jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid and he still wouldn't start. I rapped the solenoid body with a hammer and touched the jumper wire to the solenoid again. Brutus started right up. One more thing to note, the solenoid plunger is usually spring return, so if your battery voltage is low the coil won't develop enough magnetism to overcome the spring and make the contacts.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way Tracer, I just turned 68 on March 15th. I'm pretty zippy for my age though and I can still work really hard. It's the soreness afterwards that reminds me I'm not 30 anymore. The soreness doesn't last long. I guess it's more like tired muscles really.
Dipstick, I don't do to bad unless I have to lay down on the concrete and work with my hands over my head. Like installing front axle dust boots. But I got both front wheels done, one yesterday, and the other today. It used to be about a 4 hour job several years ago. Now I know why so many of our Senior MVCC members have jeeps.

Dipstick

Dipstick, I don't do to bad unless I have to lay down on the concrete and work with my hands over my head. Like installing front axle dust boots. But I got both front wheels done, one yesterday, and the other today. It used to be about a 4 hour job several years ago. Now I know why so many of our Senior MVCC members have jeeps.
Ditto on working on your back with your arms and hands above you. I was working on another truck of mine the other day while on my back swinging a 5 pound hammer to drive out a spring suspension pin. It was hard to swing the hammer with any force, but I got it done. Do you have an external air cleaner canister like an old 5 ton on your Deuce's fender? I always thought they looked super cool. Yeah, if I had a brain I'd own a jeep too. But I don't. I wish the damned rain would stop so I could get some work done around here. Glad to hear you got your boots on.

jasonjc

View attachment 830117 One of the jobs I hate to do every 2 to 3 years.....front axle dust boots and clamps. If someone made dust boots that would last several years, he would be a Millionaire. (y)

I'm replacing a set on one of my trucks that I did 15-20 years ago. Almost didn't after getting the hub off and taking a quick look at it , but after a closer look I found a small hole and the start of some dry rot. The bad was when I took the other side a part and found a rusted outer bearing. So I'm glad I went a head with taking it all a part.

Dipstick

I'm replacing a set on one of my trucks that I did 15-20 years ago. Almost didn't after getting the hub off and taking a quick look at it , but after a closer look I found a small hole and the start of some dry rot. The bad was when I took the other side a part and found a rusted outer bearing. So I'm glad I went a head with taking it all a part.
I had a similar experience when I pulled my fronts apart to change the inner oil seals. Someone left two 1/2 " steel nuts inside the driver's side brake drum. The nuts broke chunks out of the brake linings and grooved the entire I.D. of the drum. I went for new shoes on both sides and a new brake drum on the driver's side. I had been driving Brutus for seven years by this time and never felt or heard a thing!

Dipstick

I got my new plastic battery box today. All of the metal pieces were bent to some degree, so I removed them all and smacked them perfectly flat with my brass hammer. I still have to de-rust and paint them. I'll go to Tractor Supply tomorrow and buy all new fasteners for them.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my new plastic battery box today. All of the metal pieces were bent to some degree, so I removed them all and smacked them perfectly flat with my brass hammer. I still have to de-rust and paint them. I'll go to Tractor Supply tomorrow and buy all new fasteners for them.
Good idea Dipstick. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's butchered hardware. When I see an MV that has had a lot of hard work and money put in, and then the corners of the fasteners are rounded off, rusted, and have chisel marks. It just down grades all the money and effort that was put into the vehicle. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks