• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

FWIW, I got my axle boots from rockwelloffroad. They are intentionally a tad oversized and that makes mounting a lot more pleasant. Holding up well so far (3 years). Not affiliated, just a satisfied customer: https://www.rockwelloffroad.com/product-page/2-5-ton-heavy-duty-boot-dust-seal-set-of-2
Hi cattlerepairman! Thanks for the info! Yeah, undersized even a little makes it a real pain. Had a set of those once. We had a dusting of snow two days ago. Still haven't been able to get much done outside. The ground is still too wet. How about you in the great up North?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi cattlerepairman! Thanks for the info! Yeah, undersized even a little makes it a real pain. Had a set of those once. We had a dusting of snow two days ago. Still haven't been able to get much done outside. The ground is still too wet. How about you in the great up North?
Truck is still in storage; ground still too wet to park her on the grass. Will she need work when she stretches after the winter rest? She will tell me, I have no doubt about that!!

Dipstick

Great guys thank you for the info the video I watched the guy said the zipper ones are no good but it’s pretty much a road queen so they might work
hgun. Ignore the video. Zipper boots are fine unless you plan on using your Deuce as the YELLOW SUBMARINE. 0611191239-00.jpg This is Brutus' front end when I was changing the inner axle oil seals. That's the brake backing plate resting on top of the universal joint housing. That housing is held on by the king pins and would have to come off also to install the zipperless boots. It's a lot of work and the parts are pretty darned heavy. Zipper boots correctly installed make a lot of sense.

FloridaAKM

My first Deuce from the Air Force came with zipped boots, but she is starting to leak some fluid onto the tire, so I get to go digging for worn out seals. The second Air Force Deuce has OEM boots that need work too, but that will wait till after retirement. My time today was taken up by fixing the M1081 leaking kneeling valve, which I actually accomplished. ;-)

Dipstick

My first Deuce from the Air Force came with zipped boots, but she is starting to leak some fluid onto the tire, so I get to go digging for worn out seals. The second Air Force Deuce has OEM boots that need work too, but that will wait till after retirement. My time today was taken up by fixing the M1081 leaking kneeling valve, which I actually accomplished. ;-)
FloridaAKM....I changed my front axle inner oil seals because I had some liquid dripping onto the inside of my front tires. I was wrong on my diagnosis. Later when I changed the boots (which were ripped), I discovered that the liquid on the tires was only a mixture of rain water and excess grease that had oozed out of the king pin bushings. The seals were okay. Glad I did it though. The brakes needed repair. Something to note: the liquid on my tires was the color of oil and felt slightly oily but much lighter than gear oil. You can check into that when you change your boots. Not trying to butt in here. Just trying to be helpful.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hit all the grease fittings, and installed a new fuel cap gasket. I used Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease for the first time. It came recommended by a friend who works at the big Gold mine just outside West Wendover, Nevada. Says it works great on the heavy mining equipment. It has a 540 degree drop point. Not sure what that means? Changing the engine oil and filters are next.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Hit all the grease fittings, and installed a new fuel cap gasket. I used Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease for the first time. It came recommended by a friend who works at the Gold mine just outside West Wendover, Nevada. Says it works great on the heavy mining equipment. It has a 540 degree drop point. Not sure what that means? Changing the engine oil and filters are next.
Good work! I use Valvoline Cerulean Grease. It's blue and is also made for mining and earth moving equipment. Even rock crushers. I get it at Autozone. I installed a full set of aluminum spin on oil and fuel filter adapters on Brutus. Makes changing filters much easier. You can get the spin on filters at NAPA. A thought for the future. The spin on adapters are pricey.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great guys thank you for the info the video I watched the guy said the zipper ones are no good but it’s pretty much a road queen so they might work
Hgun. If your going with zipper boots, use the boots with the copper zipper. They last longer than the boots with the black or silver zipper. My truck is also a highway/parade truck, and the copper zipper boots last about 3 years in this hot summer/cold winter, high UV ray environment here in Nevada. Also as has been stated in the above comments new ring clamps are a must. Last thing is and it's important, make sure your grooves in the hub, and housing along with your boots are oil and grease free.

Dipstick

Hgun. If your going with zipper boots, use the boots with the copper zipper. They last longer than the boots with the black or silver zipper. My truck is also a highway/parade truck, and the copper zipper boots last about 3 years in this hot summer/cold winter, high UV ray environment here in Nevada. Also as has been stated in the above comments new ring clamps are a must. Last thing is and it's important, make sure your grooves in the hub, and housing along with your boots are oil and grease free.
Right on Tracer! I wire brush the clamp grooves and hit them with CRC contact cleaner. Excellent point!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work! I use Valvoline Cerulean Grease. It's blue and is also made for mining and earth moving equipment. Even rock crushers. I get it at Autozone. I installed a full set of aluminum spin on oil and fuel filter adapters on Brutus. Makes changing filters much easier. You can get the spin on filters at NAPA. A thought for the future. The spin on adapters are pricey.
Dipstick, I converted my truck to spin on filters a few years ago, and they are pricey, but I think they are worth it. Less muss and fuss, and quicker oil pressure.

hgun

Wonderful thank you for the advice my friend has an A2 and he needs his done too sounds like a greasy weekend of fun

Deplorable1

Took a spin in the deuce with one friend to the chili parlor for lunch as soon as we get done eating another friend called and needed a tow in his pickup truck ( fully restored late 80's Chevy 4x4) on it's maiden voyage, back to his house with a tow strap maybe a mile or so. He thought it wasn't charging the battery but come to find out the distributor hold down was loose and it spun the distributor far enough out of time it wouldn't run. Glad it was a simple fix. And I shoulda got a picture.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dipstick

Took a spin in the deuce with one friend to the chili parlor for lunch as soon as we get done eating another friend called and needed a tow in his pickup truck ( fully restored late 80's Chevy 4x4) on it's maiden voyage, back to his house with a tow strap maybe a mile or so. He thought it wasn't charging the battery but come to find out the distributor hold down was loose and it spun the distributor far enough out of time it wouldn't run. Glad it was a simple fix. And I shoulda got a picture.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
My brother has lived and worked in Cincinnati since the mid-70s. He took me to see a Red's game once. I love chili. Have you ever been to Skyline Chili?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone happen to know where I can get the data/warning stickers that go on the battery box?? Looked on Ebay & couldn't find anything, unless I just overlooked them. Thanks
SCM35A2, Here is the information for the Battery Box warning decals, Qty 2. PN # 12255637, NSN 7690-01-115-7052. PN # 11664260, NSN 7690-00-419-9459. Kit 12375366 Contains both decals. Try Memphis Equipment, PH # 901-774-0600

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on working on your back with your arms and hands above you. I was working on another truck of mine the other day while on my back swinging a 5 pound hammer to drive out a spring suspension pin. It was hard to swing the hammer with any force, but I got it done. Do you have an external air cleaner canister like an old 5 ton on your Deuce's fender? I always thought they looked super cool. Yeah, if I had a brain I'd own a jeep too. But I don't. I wish the damned rain would stop so I could get some work done around here. Glad to hear you got your boots on.
DSCF2767.JPG DSCF2769.JPG Dipstick, I modified this M52/54 air cannister to fit my M35A2 with the idea that I'll replace the LDT engine with an LDS engine down the road. All the parts used are GI with exception of the 4 1/2 Dia. flex hose B/T the turbo and canister pipe. If your interested I'll post the rest of the pictures. I have about 10,000 miles on this mod. with no problems. Also Big Mike's Motor Pool has Bobber weight & dimension data plates available. Check em out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks