• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
G'day everyone,....

Well yesterday I went on a road trip in the Deuce.

Went to meet up with a guy who bought I though had bought a M109 but it was in fact a M185A3.
Anyway I took him a complete PDF copy of the workshop manuals and we had a great chin-wag about the trucks.

This guy is ex army and was also their driving instructor, he has always wanted a Deuce since he first saw them when 'the

yanks' bought them over here for joint exercises to train with the aussie army, it turns out they left a lot of them behind and

thats why there are a few down here, (This was news to me.) some were scrapped and some found there way into private collections. he got his from

a deceased estate, came with tools and a soft top for it.

Also he has a International MkIII in his workshop, I forgot to get any pictures of it with all the talking,..

Anyway as I was early for our arranged time to meet and I had been driving for 1.5 hrs I stopped in the town just before

where we were to meet to stretch and have some of my traveler coffee I made for the trip.

View attachment 839164

And here they are together:

View attachment 839165

View attachment 839166

View attachment 839168

View attachment 839169

View attachment 839170

View attachment 839171

View attachment 839172

View attachment 839173

View attachment 839174

To be continued,......

Aussie,
The "Twins" look really nice together!

Hat to hear that your compressor belt shredded.
On the other hand, at least it got you home.

Compressor wrench would be nice to have but maybe you could roll the new belt onto the pulley.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing the compressor belt can be done without the wrenches, it's just a little more 'fiddly'. The compressor wheel is not a solid pulley, but rather two angled plates held together by the bolts. Step one, loosen the bolts so you can get the old belt off, step 2, put the new belt on, step 3, tighten the bolts while trying to move the belt. You do not want the belt pinched so it cannot move at all, but if you move it a little and tighten a little there will come a time when it gets really hard to move it. That's when you use the starter to bump the engine over just a bit, then tighten the bolts a little bit more. When the belt is tight, but still has about 1/2 to 1 inch of flex in it, stop. Crank up the truck, make sure it builds air, then shut it down. Check tightness of the belt and adjust as needed, as the belt will stretch a bit before it settles in. Using the two purpose built wrenches is a whole lot easier!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Queen Lola went on a 125 mile/190km jaunt today. She was happy at 55 mph/88km/h turning 2100 rpm for most of it, some hilly backroads, a little gravel.

She really ran well. No undue noises (always welcome) and no undue leaks. A few drips from the transmission (normal when hot).

Side windows rolled up, windshield open a few inches, kept cab cool-ish. Two wasps hit me in the face - after they had hit the windshield frame and were knocked out, so I didn't get stung!

I always wear glasses/sunglasses for that very reason!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well yesterday I dug out the belt for my Deuce out of my spares stockpile and took them to my local parts store.

I asked if they had the same sized belts.

They had one of each, I got them and ordered two more of each.

Now i just have to replace the actual shredded belt, I'll get to that in a couple of days,....

Aussie.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

Well yesterday I dug out the belt for my Deuce out of my spares stockpile and took them to my local parts store.

I asked if they had the same sized belts.

They had one of each, I got them and ordered two more of each.

Now i just have to replace the actual shredded belt, I'll get to that in a couple of days,....

Aussie.
If you have access to a waterjet , you could cut out the two wrenches you need to quickly adjust the belt out of sheet steel. or you could buy them and wait for the post to get them to you > https://midwestmilitaryequipment.co...et-m35a2-multi-fuel-m54-adjust-belt-military/ - it's not rocket science after all.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang! $39 sure seems reasonable to have the right tools for that job.
Then add in shipping to 'down under' and the waterjet solution (and the critical specs for the inside dimensions) looks a lot better. I recently sent an 8 pound package to Poland and the shipping was $95 (it was a large package). When robomcduff needed some SAE impact sockets, it was actually easier to carry them in my luggage than mail them to him.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Then add in shipping to 'down under' and the waterjet solution (and the critical specs for the inside dimensions) looks a lot better.
I avoided that part of the conversation.

If a person with that kind of compressor had access to a waterjet, having several sets would be fantastic.
One in the toolbox.
One set in the truck.
A spare or two or three would be really nice :cool: too

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I avoided that part of the conversation.

If a person with that kind of compressor had access to a waterjet, having several sets would be fantastic.
One in the toolbox.
One set in the truck.
A spare or two or three would be really nice :cool: too
One can't have to many tools. I have some of the same tools in my work shop, in my garage, and in the tool box on the Deuce. Makes life a lot easier. (y)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here are some measurements from my two deuce air compressor wrenches. See attached pictures.
I miss having interns... Used to be that I could have printed those images, handed them off to one of "the kids" and had AutoCad 3-D drawings before the day was done. Their excitement would have been going over to manufacturing and watching his drawing come to life. We had several sharp young lady engineering students as well!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

Just out of curiosity, dose anyone have a set they can sell me?

I'm sure posting it to me will be a bucket load cheaper,...

Aussie.
Aussie, I bought a set a few years back off e bay that worked just fine. I just checked. and the seller has sold 127 sets and still has them for sale. Check on e bay under (M35A2 Multi Fuel compressor tool). He's selling the tools for under 40, and the sellers e bay site will also give you the shipping costs to Australia. If I recall, I purchased an M38A1 fuel pump last year from Bulgaria off e bay, and I think shipping from Bulgaria to NV was a about $36.00, and the pump weighs more than my compressor tools. Give it a shot. If not, we'll keep on trying!!

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

Well the listing on E-bay is the same place that wants to rip me for over $500.00 to ship it to me.

I also saw the fording snorkel I want for my Deuce.

Can't get it on E-bay because it wants me to set up an account first.

Aussie.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any trade schools near to you? If so, and they teach some machinist courses you might be able to talk to a teacher about fabricating a set of the wrenches using the drawings I posted. You have all the dimensions necessary for fabrication, you just need someone local to make them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks