• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK guys I need some help here I have looked through multiple TMS but can't seem to find the torque specs for the upper and lower kingpin plates the bolts and nuts I believe I found the upper 80-105 but I have looked through TMS on here and the ones I own can't find the lower are they the same as the upper. There going to be if I can't find them thank you.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK guys I need some help here I have looked through multiple TMS but can't seem to find the torque specs for the upper and lower kingpin plates the bolts and nuts I believe I found the upper 80-105 but I have looked through TMS on here and the ones I own can't find the lower are they the same as the upper. There going to be if I can't find them thank you.
I was rummaging for torque specs recently.
I found a 1990 version of THREADED FASTENERS - TIGHTENING to PROPER TENSION

Military Handbook MIL-HBK-60 (I uploaded it here)

Saw nothing about a kingpin plate in that document though. Seems based on the reading, if the upper bolts and lower bolts are the same diameter and thread pitch and grade - they should be torqued the same. I think?

Attachments

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you that’s what I’ll do they take same size socket. Putting DS knuckle back together after installing new boot and grease. The zipper boots had holes in them got some nasty grease out. I’ll button it up tomorrow after work and move to the passenger side front then the rears

Attachments

williamh

Swapped out the ancient spare tire for a fresher one that matches the driver's side with new inner tube and flap. The old spare was terrible and out of round but it worked. The shock was toast on that side anyways, so I installed a Monroe for $30. I took a picture of the driver's shock part number for reference if the Monroe craps the bed. I keep eyballing some larger tires like some 11.00x20 NTD or some Goodyear G177 radial or larger, but after wrestling with one wheel by myself.... Heck no!!! I installed a slobber tube since mine was non-existant. I also greased all zerk fittings. I never know huch many pumps to fiill the king pins and trunion bearings? I did 20 pumps for each king pin zerk and 30 pumps for each trunion. 2 u-joint zerks were being fussy, not sure if they were accepting grease, I may just replace them. I love the overkill of zerks, 5 just for the pintle hitch.

My rule of thumb was to pump it in till I see a little starting to seep out

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

In two days I'll be getting my Deuce out of storage, the next day I plan to take it on a LONG trip to go meet a M109 owner who is working on his to get it ready for its roadworthy so he can get it on the road.

I can't believe there is a M109 down here yet alone within driving distance.

My Deuce may have found a 'playmate'.

Aussie.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20210704_144818.jpg

20210704_150929.jpg

Went on a backroads drive for a couple of hours. I live in a beautiful area when the weather is nice!
I arrived at the end of a road and the only way to turn around was to use a guy's driveway. I decided to be polite and ask permission, rather than just backing into his driveway (the guy was working in his yard).
We talked and he said "well, you can turn around, OR....I built this road right behind the house that loops back to the river and then there is a gate to the main road." It is a huge forest and bush area back there and I had no idea there even was a road. I also had no idea that a property that looked like an average 0.5 acre residential lot was actually around 150 acres!
He normally uses the road with a pickup truck and a few spots were tight between the trees, but no real issue for the Queen to sneak through.
One branch of his road goes to a beautiful overlook over the river and I checked that out. While I was there, the owner shows up with his pickup and the wife. His wife had given him grief for sending the "poor man and his big truck" up that gnarly road and she made him go to make sure I did not get stuck and needed help!

Man, if this guy ever decided to sell off a parcel, that would be a home on a flood-proof overlook with killer views of two rivers merging.

Driving a Deuce leads to the most wonderful discoveries!

Truck runs like a champ and I also installed the 2-hole injectors from the spare LDT engine. The freight train smoke is all but gone, "fuel economy" (lol) seems better and I do not notice a (huge) difference in power. The seat of the pants dynometer says that power and response were a tad better with the single hole injectors but I like the fact that the LDS does not lay a smoke screen wherever it goes.

Last edited:

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce didn’t make it out for the fourth still working on seals passenger front grease looked like someone had horrible diarrhea and couldn’t find a place to go except in the knuckle and I have a stripped out nut on the split rim I’m dealing with always something lol. Love seeing pics of the trucks out in about

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Upgraded the deuce today with a lmtv step so the 5’2 wife can get in. Now no excuses about not wanting to take it because it’s to hard to get in lol
Good Deal!
Now your co-pilot can tell you which way to turn.

In all honesty, hopefully now you can get her involved in the Big Green Truck disease with you!
:)

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well yesterday I went on a road trip in the Deuce.

Went to meet up with a guy who bought I though had bought a M109 but it was in fact a M185A3.
Anyway I took him a complete PDF copy of the workshop manuals and we had a great chin-wag about the trucks.

This guy is ex army and was also their driving instructor, he has always wanted a Deuce since he first saw them when 'the

yanks' bought them over here for joint exercises to train with the aussie army, it turns out they left a lot of them behind and

thats why there are a few down here, (This was news to me.) some were scrapped and some found there way into private collections. he got his from

a deceased estate, came with tools and a soft top for it.

Also he has a International MkIII in his workshop, I forgot to get any pictures of it with all the talking,..

Anyway as I was early for our arranged time to meet and I had been driving for 1.5 hrs I stopped in the town just before

where we were to meet to stretch and have some of my traveler coffee I made for the trip.

PIC_0050.JPG

And here they are together:

PIC_0051.JPG

PIC_0052.JPG

PIC_0053.JPG

PIC_0054.JPG

PIC_0055.JPG

PIC_0056.JPG

PIC_0057.JPG

PIC_0058.JPG

PIC_0059.JPG

To be continued,......

Aussie,

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

So where were we,....

Oh yeah,...

PIC_0060.JPG

PIC_0061.JPG

We might get to meet again and have suggested a trip or two when he has his fixed up and roadworthy and on club reg like mine.

After I got back home I parked my deuce out in the front yard, the next morning I had to move my inter from right behind the

gates so I can get the Deuce into the back yard, now keep in mind my Deuce ran flawlessly all yesterday.

This morning I start the Deuce, she fired off instantly, but after a while the low air pressure warning buzzer is still going off,...

The air gauge is not going up,...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!??

I can't hear air leaking,... I press the brakes and they work and the air pressure dropped a little as it should but dose'nt rise,..

So I open the side panel to the engine and it all looks ok,... but then I notice the compressor pulley is'nt moving,...

Neither is the belt, looking closer the belt is shredded and hanging loose.

Now how the heck did that happen? When I parked up last night I had full air pressure and while I sat there letting the

engine idle to cool down and let the turbo spool down the air pressure regulator popped off a few times so it was working.

The good news is I have a new belt in the care package I got from Big Mikes with the new filters, belts, radiator hose's.

The bad news is I don't as yet have the special wrench for the compressor pulley.

I want to get one later but I guess I will need to get one sooner than I had planned.

Until then I can do it the 'hard way' with standard tools, its a bit of a bitch to do without this wrench so I'm told,,,, but it can be done if you

know the right expletives and have the correct creams on hand for the skinned knuckles etc,...

PS: his M185A3 is an 88 build so was one of the last,....

Aussie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks