• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

davidb56

from what I read on other transmissions with both a internal filter and external spin on filter, you only change the external spin on filter. As for five flushes, that should have done the torque converter too, as most flushes are only 2. Even using the Hoot method, your 5 have probably accomplished at least the same or more replacement of old fluid.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after attempting to loosen my tranny dipstick tube from the pan that was extremely tight I thought it’s not leaking now so I’m not going to make it start. So I decided to leave well enough alone. And filled up what I drained out and called it good. And replaced my fuel filter couldn’t find a primer but after a few it fired so I’m done with fluids filters etc. now time to replace tires on my M106A1 trailer never ends

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never understood that design although I am being told it was not unusual at the time.

If one wanted to have the wheel bearings oil lubricated (as they are in a modern truck) the whole "diff gear oil runs outboard through the axle housing and lubricates bearings" stuff makes sense.

If one wished to have the wheel bearings greased, why not choose a design similar to the front axle where there is seals inside the axle tube to actively prevent gear oil from flowing to the outboard side and avoid oil contamination of the greased bearings?

Instead we have a design that allows the oil to flow all the way to the hub, being held back only with iffy components (cork wedge/gasket) that may last for a long time, or not at all (if not put together exactly right), or fail randomly at any time interval, resulting in contaminated oily-greasy bearings and leakage of gear oil into the brake drums and to the outside.

I thought that, maybe, this design is intentional. A fail-safe; have oil lubricate the bearings is better than no lubrication - but it was explained to me that this is not a deliberate or desirable outcome.
As I said - I never understood the reasoning for THAT particular setup.

Way back when I bought my truck it had six leaking axle seals. My joke was, I can fix this by parking with a strong sideways tilt; that way, only three seals leak, an instant 50% improvement.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I never understood that design although I am being told it was not unusual at the time.

If one wanted to have the wheel bearings oil lubricated (as they are in a modern truck) the whole "diff gear oil runs outboard through the axle housing and lubricates bearings" stuff makes sense.

If one wished to have the wheel bearings greased, why not choose a design similar to the front axle where there is seals inside the axle tube to actively prevent gear oil from flowing to the outboard side and avoid oil contamination of the greased bearings?

Instead we have a design with iffy components (cork wedge/gasket) that may last for a long time, or not at all (if not put together exactly right), or fail randomly at any time interval, resulting in contaminated oily-greasy bearings and leakage of gear oil into the brake drums and to the outside.

I thought that, maybe, this design is intentional. A fail-safe; have oil lubricate the bearings is better than no lubrication - but it was explained to me that this is not a deliberate or desirable outcome.
As I said - I never understood the reasoning for THAT particular setup.

Way back when I bought my truck it had six leaking axle seals. My joke was, I can fix this by parking with a strong sideways tilt; that way, only three seals leak, an instant 50% instant improvement.
Have to laugh to keep from crying...
Yes sir, a tilt can make you happy or grumpy - all depending on your outlook.

Last edited:

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the oil in my manual steering box in my 1963 Studebaker M50, (M35A2 with a water tank) in hindsight it didnt appear to need it, upon refilling I had to cock the funnel to one side to allow filling, making me wonder how/if these vent ?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I changed the oil in my manual steering box in my 1963 Studebaker M50, (M35A2 with a water tank) in hindsight it didnt appear to need it, upon refilling I had to cock the funnel to one side to allow filling, making me wonder how/if these vent ?
I can't really remember manual steering gear boxes having any sort of vent. Just straight up logic says "who cares" in the design. Mostly because you couldn't turn the gears enough and often enough to create pressure in the system. I have a few newer steering boxes laying around here and they don't leak oil (IE: No Vent on them).

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a question I can’t seem to find the info hoping you guys can help. Do the M35A2 and M813A1 use the same frame with the 813 being heavier. Looking to replace my A3 with one of these thank you

Shooter308

After a long 5 months of winter and warmer weather on the way I finally got the truck out of storage. Still only mid 30's out but a few times on the starter it came to life. Will be on to my list of maintenance items and will also be deleting the flame heater this spring.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I did sell my M35A3. Now I’m torn I see a nice A2 and I’m looking at a M813A1. I’m not sure which angle to go. If I go 5 ton way I can’t ask you guys questions on this forum have to find a 5 ton one. Which by the way you guys were extremely helpful with any questions or problems I had thank you very much.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I did sell my M35A3. Now I’m torn I see a nice A2 and I’m looking at a M813A1. I’m not sure which angle to go. If I go 5 ton way I can’t ask you guys questions on this forum have to find a 5 ton one. Which by the way you guys were extremely helpful with any questions or problems I had thank you very much.
There are 5 ton subforums here....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks