• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took her to a Cops and Kids event, had the kids climbing over it and around it.

Finally got the Onan back from the shop, so we are back to being independent without a landline or using the inverter. Added a few things like a switch for the air raid siren and a cab fan. Finished up the plywood for the over cab box to make a bed etc.

2013-07-12 12.09.23.jpg2013-07-12 13.47.16.jpg2013-07-12 19.04.09.jpg

Kloakndagr

I finished putting together a custom ladder my buddy made for my deuce, he works at a shipyard and had a TM on a military boarding ladder, build me one that's totally bada$$. He also built me a stainless steel dual propane tank mount, and is in the process of building a solar battery (4) mount for the outside of the deuce. I installed two camper vents in the RV Conversion project on the back of the deuce, it's not a 109 but it's taller and looks like a metal shop van that Uncle Sam built. Can't complain, I got a 1970, multi-fuel with winch and hardtop for....$2k, yup. Yes, he's a good friend, through think and thin.

hunderliggur

Picked up my oldest daughters stuff from her college before her wedding this fall. Filled up the deuce. Nothing like a deuce in a college town to get a few comments.

demonhunter77

Cut approximately 1.5 feet off of the frame. Going to reinstall the bumperettes and trailer hitch. But after grinding off one side of the rivets holding the former rear of the frame together, i can't seem to pry the pieces apart. LOL.

Welder Sam

Cut approximately 1.5 feet off of the frame. Going to reinstall the bumperettes and trailer hitch. But after grinding off one side of the rivets holding the former rear of the frame together, i can't seem to pry the pieces apart. LOL.
Try using a drill.. the rivets are pressing out to hold all the parts. Air hammer may work too..

w3azel

After fighting the weather and every sort of problem imaginable the power steering is finally installed and working. Its a world of difference, but I'll only have time to enjoy it till I start the crew cab build...I'm starting to think these deuces are a never ending project.

Attachments

srodocker

After fighting the weather and every sort of problem imaginable the power steering is finally installed and working. Its a world of difference, but I'll only have time to enjoy it till I start the crew cab build...I'm starting to think these deuces are a never ending project.

Which setup did you use?

w3azel

I used the waterloo kit. The instructions are kind of lacking but luckily Hanksdeuce has some great pics on his website that fill in the blanks. Also I've discovered cheap bits go dull quickly and expensive ones break so if you do it just buy four 1/2" bits and take the ones you don't need back when your done. I had to make four trips just to pick up a new bit. As far as kit goes the equipment is top notch and the price can't be beat for what you get.

welldigger

I used the waterloo kit. The instructions are kind of lacking but luckily Hanksdeuce has some great pics on his website that fill in the blanks. Also I've discovered cheap bits go dull quickly and expensive ones break so if you do it just buy four 1/2" bits and take the ones you don't need back when your done. I had to make four trips just to pick up a new bit. As far as kit goes the equipment is top notch and the price can't be beat for what you get.
Cutting oil and the correct amount of pressure on the bit keeps them from dulling too fast and breaking. Its something that you kinda learn the "feel" for.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I threw the stock passenger bench out and mounted the HMMWV pedestal seat and used (after refurbishing) the old springer base for the commander's seat. Worked well, took me the best part of a day to do but the ride is so much improved! Sorry for the sideways pic.
Ottawa-20130712-00167.jpgOttawa-20130712-00166.jpg

I also drilled a hole across the parking brake lever mechanism so that I can put a bolt or padlock through and prevent the brake from being released. This is for peace of mind when I get out of the truck (I got hung up on the lever more than once and the brake was off when I hit the ground), as well as a simple hurdle against theft.

Ottawa-20130712-00168.jpg

I also decide to freshen up the paint a bit, aspecially the chalky-white black colour. I got completely carried away and ended up Krylon-Camo rattlecanning the whole truck, with the exception of the inside bed, frame and dash.

All Sunday a group of us MV enthusiasts showed our vehicles a the huge Merrickville, ON car show (1200 classic cars plus). We had our own MV corner and it was fun! Ok, I should have taken more pics of the other trucks and Iltises, but I am enthralled with the fresh paint on mine!!

Merrickville-Wolford-20130714-00177.jpgMerrickville-Wolford-20130714-00176.jpgMerrickville-Wolford-20130714-00174.jpgMerrickville-Wolford-20130714-00173.jpgMerrickville-Wolford-20130714-00172.jpgMerrickville-Wolford-20130714-00171.jpgMerrickville-Wolford-20130714-00170.jpg

Last edited:

welldigger

I threw the stock passenger bench out and mounted the HMMWV pedestal seat and used (after refurbishing) the old springer base for the commander's seat. Worked well, took me the best part of a day to do but the ride is so much improved!

View attachment 440470View attachment 440471

I also drilled a hole across the parking brake lever mechanism so that I can put a bolt or padlock through and prevent the brake from being released. This is for peace of mind when I get out of the truck (I got hung up on the lever more than once and the brake was off when I hit the ground), as well as a simple hurdle against theft.

View attachment 440469
Only a deuce driver understands the joy of dangling out of the driver door by the hammer loop on your jeans that got snared on that dang parking brake lever.

3dAngus

DSCN5886.jpgDSCN5885.jpgDSCN5887.jpgDSCN5888.jpgI spent the day finding a nut in the English Ivy.

After procrastinating on installing my windshield wiper motors, I decided to take it on today. Glad I did.
I realized, after buying electric windshield wipers, my vacumn wipers without wiper blade, worked perfectly. It was just not hooked up, and did not have a wiper blade installed, so it was metal scraping on metal at first.

When I removed the nut from the wiper blade to get started, guess...

Yep. Clunk,clink, clink, ching, dub, dub, clank, spiellllllll... and into the English Ivy. Oh what joy!
I made a trip to the local Irish parts store, and they didn't have anything that would work for a deuce wiper. Nothing. Wanted me to drive 30 miles to see an old deuce that might have a rusty old wiper. No thanks I said, I'll fabricate my own.

Missing a nut for the job, a wiper blade that would fit, vacumn line, and having part of the old wiper arm and a mismatched wiper blade from an electric motor job I purchased for the job, I drilled out the rivits from the old wiper, and new, and installed a new screw to fit through the new wiper arm and old wiper threaded attachment. Then I installed the vacumn line and discovered what that little screw valve was for on the bottom left of my dash. Air line to wipers. I now not only have control for speed but a new and working wiper, for the first time while owning this deuce for over a year. Just don't seem to use it much, but both wiper and deuce will be used this weekend on a camping trip. 3 hour job. Amazing...

Now to change out that torn cab cover.

Attachments

91W350

I sold my 1968 to a good home, great truck, I am sure he will both improve and enjoy it. Down to the 1971 and I have guys wanting to buy it. Hard to think about being deuceless again....

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted the poles and brackets for the convoy lights . I think I have all the bits and pieces , could use somebody with access to a water-jet , the round disc that come with the kit are 11" could use a 8" disc . My strobes are smaller that the old revolving lights . I still need a bunch of u-bolts , McMaster-Carr should have them .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks