• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Capriceii

My M109A3 sat and looked at me with a sad look.. She is still not happy our field trip last weekend got canceled. But I did get the wrench for the air compressor pully:) Maybe that will make her happy.

ICAT

I'm selling my house so i used mine to clear the crap out of my yard for the photographer. Now when I say crap, I don't mean stuff. I mean crap! It would rather have a dumpster dropped off and just filled it up. I the plus side, it showed my wife that the deuce was a good investment. :)

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Repurposing the toolbox on left side behind fuel tank, contains the leveling jacks for the box which we never use. Its now the water entry point where the on demand pump, gravity fill for tank etc are.

Blueduce

This week I finally installed the air-o-matic steering assist I purchased of epay a few months back. It was a super simple install taking less than 2 hours with a bit of help. Coming out of the military with a bad shoulder I should have done this years ago. It was a bit expensive at 2k including shipping but worth every penny once installed. It's not a one finger steer like a true P/S system. This is only a steering assist but the difference was HUGE. The biggest advantage is at slow speeds turning on pavement. Deuce owners know that's usually when you get your upper body workout for the day.

I've also been collecting tires for six months now and I finally got all 11 in hand. I have decided to replace the standard 9'00x 20 NDCC's with 11.00 x 20 NDCC's. I had to bust most of them off the rims as they where on 10 but trailer rims. This combined with the eleven 9.00 x 20's already on the deuce. That made a total of 17 tires busted and 11 re-mounted. Not a small project at all. Fortunately I found a local tire shop run by a Marine. He was empathetic to my plight and my disabilities.He only charged me $350 for the complete job including disposal of the old, bald, dry rotted skins that came off my truck.

Now I'm up on new 11's with a new steering assist installed. I'm loving life. All I need to do now is finish the prep work and get her painted. I also smell a set of lockers in my future. Then I I'll be finished with her. (I think)

Rusty nuts

Well I got the passenger side apart tonight after spending the other day getting the snapped off drivers side axle only to find both the inner and outer ends of the passenger axle twisted......:???:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Kloakndagr

Purchased 3 gallons of Behr paint, tint for bedliner, finished paint prep and should paint tomorrow if weather holds up.

On a side note, I went to car quest here locally in my attempt to purchase tint to match my OD paint. I brought a door inspection panel and to my surprise the "paint tech" couldn't match the color, no biggie, but what was really sad was the fact this paint tech could only do what the computer told him. Basically he wasn't able to get a color match unless it was in the computer. Now here's the best part, I went to Napa also local and the paint guy there was kick ass, he did it old school with paint cards and was willing to tweak the formula to get a perfect match. Guess what, I got the tint to match my OD paint. He didn't need a computer to match paint, just the formulas. I comments, what did paint guys do before scanning a color and having the computer give you the formula. Always, I'm happy now and I will have my U-Pol Raptor tintable bedliner sprayed to match the interior of the duece.

Last edited:

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2013-10-30 22.21.36.jpg2013-11-01 20.24.31-1.jpg2013-11-01 20.28.47-2.jpg

Finished the running water. Fixed up a bypass system so i can fill the onboard tank with the hose fill. Built a vent/filter system out of Moen kitchen faucet parts. Sealed it all up and now have running water inside the truck. Next on to gas/cooking.

m3a1

I replaced a dead battery, and a dead fuel pump, cleaned out the fuel tank and started the truck for the first time in about 3 years. (I've been overseas) It started right up!

steelandcanvas

I blasted my windshield air motors, the locking arms, wiper arms and painted them flat black. I installed a new passenger side windshield (did the driver's side a few weeks ago) and stood back and admired my never done, work-in-progress Deuce. The previous windshields looked as though someone had used a piece of angle iron to scrape the ice off. They weren't in too bad of shape, but the glare was unbearable when truck and Sun were in the right position. I strongly recommend replacing them if they are all scratched up like mine were.

m3a1

Oh, you bet! The truck was always a good runner and things were 100% when I went to Afghanistan. I tasked the wife with doing occasional run-ups but that went in the toilet when the fuel pump took a dump three years into a four year overseas contract. I didn't have the energy to do anything with it on leaves and I took a year off when I got back…didn't pick up a wrench or work on a single thing. So the truck had been sitting untouched, quite literally, for two years and the truck fired up immediately. Amazing!! Fuel stabilizer is an absolute must, by the way.

I don't like aftermarket add-ons but I'm considering the possibility of preparing the truck for the installation of an aftermarket in-line 24v electric pump as a redundant system. There's nothing quite like the sinking feeling of having a 15,000lb paperweight sitting in your driveway.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the process of replacing door hinge pins , glad they invented a flame wrench , LOL Heat them up and they come right out . Now just have to find the right pins .

westtek

Installed two new optima batteries and built all new battery cables. The 31 series optima are about the same money as the mil spec., and will last much longer. The hold down bracket will need a some work or just flip it over. 8 years out of the last set of mil. Spec. Batteries. Can't really complain about that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks