• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

RobM36A2

Got an offer to trade my (unrestored) M36a2 for an (almost fully restored) Unimog 406.:cookoo:
What to do, just wanted to sell, so I could save up for another toy..
There will be choices made, or not..

My M36:
IMG_0005.jpg

The Unimog:
SAM_0686.jpg

Another Ahab

Got an offer to trade my (unrestored) M36a2 for an (almost fully restored) Unimog 406.:cookoo:
What to do, just wanted to sell, so I could save up for another toy..
There will be choices made, or not..
Not necessarily MV, or apples-to-apples, but those Unimogs are hard to beat:

- Going anywhere, and doing near anything

And that "walking" granny gear feature is pretty remarkable (even if you never have a reason to use it).

Last edited:

Pugsley

Tried to go up a hill in snow but could not do it. I could get the front axle all most to the top but then it would start hopping and wandering so I would stop and roll back down. Went down it instead. Drove out in a empty corn field and cut through some nice 2' drifts of snow. I am impressed how well this truck does. I figured I would get stuck. I noticed that the truck will start to hop a bit before it gets stuck, but I could all ways back out of it and try again and then get past it. I think I will be looking into some air lockers for the rear axles. I think at that point if I get stuck it will be STUCK!

20150215_151712.jpg
View attachment 20150217_182238.mpg

AMGeneral

I finally finished a major service on Deuce #3 for another fellow on the site, Including,but not limited to.....

Remove,Rebuild and reinstall both the master cylinder and airpack,replace all the rubber brake lines,and rebuild all the wheel cylinders.

Clean,repack and adjust all 6 sets of wheel bearings(goes with the brake service).

Flush and power bleed the entire brake system(convert to DOT3 from DOT5)and adjust brakes.

Change engine oil and filters,as well as change all 3 fuel filters and bypass density compensator.

Spooled out the winch cable and lubricated/inspected then re-spooled.

Adjust valves and replace the air filter and test drive.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yep, that is a lot of work. I finished one for another member the same way recently. Finished building a spin on fuel filter setup to replace my secondary and final fuel filters today but I haven't installed it yet. Down to 2 microns!

TsgtB

.... spent a few hours breaking tools.
Trying to get the drivers side fill plug out of the winch...
3/8" square ends twist off pretty easy in the worn out slop hole... using good tools to make "home made" tools.
Welding an extension into a socket to make a tool I didn't have...
Soaking PB blaster, drilling out broken tips...
Moving up to chemical paint remover to get through layers of green, so the PB might have a chance....
Grinding a round tool into a "larger than 3/8" size....
hosing off chemical paint remover before it eats the bumper off.....
running out of daylight, giving up.

AZDeuce

TsgtB

I feel your pain have had days....no weeks like that, sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed......but of course there are those days when everything goes right, and those kind'a make up for the bad ones.....this too shall pass. Good luck TOMORROW! - AZ

rustystud

I finally finished a major service on Deuce #3 for another fellow on the site, Including,but not limited to.....

Remove,Rebuild and reinstall both the master cylinder and airpack,replace all the rubber brake lines,and rebuild all the wheel cylinders.

Clean,repack and adjust all 6 sets of wheel bearings(goes with the brake service).

Flush and power bleed the entire brake system(convert to DOT3 from DOT5)and adjust brakes.

Change engine oil and filters,as well as change all 3 fuel filters and bypass density compensator.

Spooled out the winch cable and lubricated/inspected then re-spooled.

Adjust valves and replace the air filter and test drive.
Why convert to DOT 3 brake fluid ? You do realize there are many advantages to DOT 5 Silicone ? Like no water in the brake lines since DOT 5 will not absorb water unlike DOT 3 which will absorb water from the air. Also Silicone will actually lube the seals in the brake system while DOT 3 tries to break it down. Silicone also doesn't have to be changed out every 3 years like DOT 3 (remember the water thing) . Silicone also handles heat better. There was a really good reason the military choose DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid for all their vehicles.

AZDeuce

There's a thread on SS somewhere that has a huge debate over this, I changed to DOT3 because I drive my truck fairly regularly, while the military ones may set for months on end. Also water absorbs into DOT 3, it seperates from DOT 5, for some reason everybody thinks this is good, but the water then rests on the bottom of your brake lines, I had a spark from a arc welder hit the bottom of my brake line in a low spot and that's all it took to start a leak. With the water suspended in the DOT 3 it can't rust anything effectively (as quickly) as just the plain water concentrated at the lowest spot in your brake lines. OF course, YES, for that reason you should change your DOT 3 every two to 3 years, depending on how humid it is where you live. But thats why I went back to DOT 3. because this site, and my experience with my leak caused me to decide DOT 5 isn't right for me and my Deuce.....YMMV.

AMGeneral

The "want it now" side of me wishes I could afford you. :goodjob::jumpin:
Yeah,the travel time from North Carolina to Utah would be huge.

I have often considered buying a 5 ton gull wing shop(M39 series with a Mack of course) and starting my own mobile MV servicing business,but I fear the market just isn't there.

AMGeneral

Why convert to DOT 3 brake fluid ? You do realize there are many advantages to DOT 5 Silicone ? Like no water in the brake lines since DOT 5 will not absorb water unlike DOT 3 which will absorb water from the air. Also Silicone will actually lube the seals in the brake system while DOT 3 tries to break it down. Silicone also doesn't have to be changed out every 3 years like DOT 3 (remember the water thing) . Silicone also handles heat better. There was a really good reason the military choose DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid for all their vehicles.
Ditto on what AZDeuce said,

Plus the fluid will be flushed every 2 years or so with these 3 trucks(as well as my own,I run DOT3 in all my MVs),so I'm not really worried about it.

Since I converted my M35A2C over to DOT3 in 1999,I have had no issues whatsoever with the brake system,and it usually only makes a couple long trips per year.

I repack bearings and inspect the brake system every 2 years,which includes inspecting the wheel cylinders,I haven't noted any significant corrosion as of yet.

TsgtB

Made a nice tool from an old 1/2" extension, it was made back when metal was metal.
Sharpened it up nice, drove it in good and tight, and POP, she let go. (I thought I had broken something)
but it was the worm drive side of my winch, fill plug, finally giving in and letting me win.
Now i'm sure it's "overfilled", so I guess i'll be finding out where it leaks....
Now I will see if the winch works or not, it looks like it is all there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks