• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

archmark

I'd blame it on the head injury/brain trauma...

Found a NOS canvas cargo cover with staves, corners, and bows. Decided to install it. Got the bows, staves and corners on, then the end curtains. After spending 30 minutes wrestling the top over the bows, and scratching my noggin on how the heck it gets tied down, a couple more beers later I threw in the towel. Couldn't figure it out. Gave up on it and then realized I had the darn thing on sideways. Rookie mistake. I got one of the really vintage canvas ones (for a smokin good deal) with the nylon crimped rope. So I guess it must wait till next weekend oh well.

Another Ahab

Found a NOS canvas cargo cover with staves, corners, and bows. Decided to install it. Got the bows, staves and corners on, then the end curtains. After spending 30 minutes wrestling the top over the bows, and scratching my noggin on how the heck it gets tied down, a couple more beers later I threw in the towel. Couldn't figure it out. Gave up on it and then realized I had the darn thing on sideways. Rookie mistake. I got one of the really vintage canvas ones (for a smokin good deal) with the nylon crimped rope. So I guess it must wait till next weekend oh well.
:funny:

DevRev

I drove it around the block... Then I wokeup... No deuce yet. Hopefully by the end of this month! It's gonna be a daily driver, YES I'm crazy but it hasn't been professionally diagnosed!

SRB1976

DevRev: Yes, when you finally get one. Check it over real good. Especially the brakes. You don't want a 14,000 lb truck to run away on you and run over a Prius. Make sure you give yourself a wide berth. A deuce is a pretty big truck. Plan your stops early and drive carefully. Most importantly, have fun!

Last edited:

DevRev

DevRev: Yes, when you finally get one. Check it over real good. Especially the brakes. You don't want a 14,000 lb truck to run away on you and run over a Prius. Make sure you give yourself a wide berth. A deuce is a pretty big truck. Plan your stops early and drive carefully. Most importantly, have fun!
I drive fire trucks and armored trucks so I know all about big trucks. thanks :)

bprzyw

Oh, got her out of the barn. Flushed and refilled / bled brakes (Dot 5), corrected tire pressures, washed her, put another 10 gallons of diesel in..(10 gallons at a time, just a few more days)

I just finished replacing the pinion bearings in the rear rear. Took it for a test drive and everything seems to be running good. Strange thing is the pinion bearings were shot but the other two sets of bearings in the rear were in great condition. Also replaced the universal joints on that propeller shaft since it was removed to do the bearings. I am going to replace the pinion bearings in the other two rears and was wondering if anyone has done this without removing the gear housing from the rear? Can you check the preload with the ring gear still in place? I realize it will require more lbs of pull on the scale but how much? I'm not sure if it's worth taking this short cut.

rustystud

I just finished replacing the pinion bearings in the rear rear. Took it for a test drive and everything seems to be running good. Strange thing is the pinion bearings were shot but the other two sets of bearings in the rear were in great condition. Also replaced the universal joints on that propeller shaft since it was removed to do the bearings. I am going to replace the pinion bearings in the other two rears and was wondering if anyone has done this without removing the gear housing from the rear? Can you check the preload with the ring gear still in place? I realize it will require more lbs of pull on the scale but how much? I'm not sure if it's worth taking this short cut.
It's not the lbs of pull, it's the amount of lash in thousandths . Usually you want a new gear set to be around .008" give or take a thousandths or two. On an old set you will probably want more like .016" lash.

SRB1976

Removed the cover today and it reminded me i'm not 20 yrs old anymore:cry:. **** thing is heavy.

P7240514.jpg

What are these hoses for? I think they are for a vent of some sort because the smaller comes out of the fuel tank. The larger one goes underneath into a tee but I did not follow it all the way.

P7240513.jpgP7240511.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Removed the cover today and it reminded me i'm not 20 yrs old anymore:cry:. **** thing is heavy.

View attachment 571958

What are these hoses for? I think they are for a vent of some sort because the smaller comes out of the fuel tank. The larger one goes underneath into a tee but I did not follow it all the way.

View attachment 571960View attachment 571959
Looks like someone modified the fuel tank vent hose to me. I'm sure the other one is a vent for the air-pac. Those two are usually together.

meumar

Installed A3 style instrument cluster with all new gauges in my 87 A2, 'cept speedo and tach, and replaced low air buzzer. PO had replaced '87 cluster with older model that did not have hole for hydraulic failure light--he simply left it hanging under the dash. Fixed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks