• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

The vibration happened while cruising and a steady speed. It would surge at a steady rhythm from being nonexistent to very noticeable. I crawled around under the truck looking for anything that felt different. Note that I have been working on the deuce almost daily for about four months and I have become quite familiar with all of its problems. I found that the propeller shaft entering the rear rear had almost 3/16" of play in it up and down, and almost 3/8" Front to back. The other rears have some play also but not as bad.
I took the gear carrier out of the rear. I built a stand to sit it on. Then I began inspecting the gears and bearings. Only the pinion bearings were bad. The rest of the bearings were in great condition. I tool the top end apart per the TM instructions. I took the old bearings and races to Philadelphia Roller And Bearing, and they had my replacements in stock. I got new seals too.
I have driven the Deuce three times since and the vibration is gone. I still have other vibrations rattles and other noises to contend with but the scary one is gone.

rustystud

The vibration happened while cruising and a steady speed. It would surge at a steady rhythm from being nonexistent to very noticeable. I crawled around under the truck looking for anything that felt different. Note that I have been working on the deuce almost daily for about four months and I have become quite familiar with all of its problems. I found that the propeller shaft entering the rear rear had almost 3/16" of play in it up and down, and almost 3/8" Front to back. The other rears have some play also but not as bad.
I took the gear carrier out of the rear. I built a stand to sit it on. Then I began inspecting the gears and bearings. Only the pinion bearings were bad. The rest of the bearings were in great condition. I tool the top end apart per the TM instructions. I took the old bearings and races to Philadelphia Roller And Bearing, and they had my replacements in stock. I got new seals too.
I have driven the Deuce three times since and the vibration is gone. I still have other vibrations rattles and other noises to contend with but the scary one is gone.
You must constantly check the drivelines and differentials on our deuces and 5 tons also. They do not have "compensators" on them like commercial 18 wheelers do. The compensator is just a differential between the rear differentials allowing the drivelines to slow down and speed up just like the axles do in a differential. Without these compensators our differentials can fight each other especially on a winding road .
In fact I was checking mine last week and found some play in the pinion shaft on the rear rear differential. It wasn't there 4 weeks ago. I'll try and tighten the nut and see it that helps for now.

Last edited:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hurculined the shop van roof , and prepped and painted the back of the box . Then it started pouring down rain , weather man said no rain till later in week

Attachments

18operator

I took apart front brakes this morning. Went to check the wheel cylinders, and found a little bit of DOT 5 leaking out.

Looks like it's time to order some wheel cylinders and while I'm at it front brake lines.:-|

rustystud

I use "Herculiner" a lot. It is a great product ! I especially like using it on the bottom of my fuel cans and ammo boxes. This way they don't get the paint all scrapped off and start to rust. I have also used it on the fenders of my deuce. Keeps me from slipping off !

Another Ahab

I use "Herculiner" a lot. It is a great product ! I especially like using it on the bottom of my fuel cans and ammo boxes. This way they don't get the paint all scrapped off and start to rust. I have also used it on the fenders of my deuce. Keeps me from slipping off !
Can you get it also as a spray-on product, like at an AutoZone, or a Home Depot?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks