• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Freedom Vehicles is fixing the roof in the M109 that they own. It had a few rust holes in the box, we are cutting them out and replacing the metal. Then we will seal the roof with some roof sealant rubber stuff.

Akicita

wadefreedomvehicles,
for roof sealant, check out Sikaflex. The company that makes that stuff offers several similar products. Pick the one that works best for your application. It costs more than Silicone from the Home Depot and stores like that but it's worth the difference.
I don't know who sells it in UT but you may want to ask at an RV motorhome shop.

Davetheplumber

"Moose"
IMG_1913.jpgWent for the first drive in the new crew cab with the bed on. Lot less bouncing with the extra LBS. Did an oil change and flushed the rear ends and replaced with new gear oil. Lots of looks today driving through the city.
OH YEAH,... I HATE THE SPRAG GEAR T-Case. Is there a simple solution to the gear engaging every time I turn sharp in revers?

Over the last week I have been making new steel tube brake lines. I installed 5 new rubber brake lines and a remote reservoir. I found a slight leak at one of the banjo fittings. I'll fix that tommoro. I also oiled the air pack. While under the truck I discovered one of the air tanks has a weld repair that doesn't look like it's to my standards. I'll be looking for a new one soon. I won't have any help with bleeding the brakes tomorrow so I won't be finishing till mid week.
Davetheplumder, I'm really liking the crew cab. Look like you could use a lift kit to put some space between the bed and the tires. Great job.

It doesn't look like I could use one of the brake bleeders that you made with the remote reservoir kit that I installed. I may be able to do something similar. Thanks for the inspiration.

TB58

If you have a 1/4" barb fitting on your MC for the remote reservoir you can pick up a cheap pump sprayer and the line will fit the barb fitting. I picked up a half gallon sprayer from Tractor supply for under 10 bucks. Hooked it up, gave it a few pumps and one person bleeding. Have to be careful that you don't over pressurize the MC though.

SRB1976

I flushed and changed the transmission fluid and filters today on the A3. Mine was pretty easy as my truck already had ATF in it instead of 15W40 oil so that was nice. I still did two flushes as the fluid looked pretty old. I thought I screwed up the truck for a minute. I removed the transmission shifter linkage to make removing the pan easier but I found out when I put everything back together I stripped the nut and the shaft where the linkage attaches toaua. I thought now what. Do I need to buy a new shaft from Allison? That probably wouldn't be cheap. Then I thought maybe I can re thread it with a tap and die set so that's what I did and installed a new nut and it worked great:D. I did overfill the trans a little so tomorrow i'll pull the drain plug and let some out.

Kloakndagr

Well I got my tags from California DMV, tagged as a motorhome, so no class B. Even got insurance, thank you USAA. In the morning my 28 foot enclosed trailer gets delivered, then planning for a kitchen, living area and garage for the Harley. Truck is 90% finished, ordering airhead composting toilet in the morning. Lots of hard work.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I thought now what. Do I need to buy a new shaft from Allison? That probably wouldn't be cheap. Then I thought maybe I can re thread it with a tap and die set so that's what I did and installed a new nut and it worked great:D. I did overfill the trans a little so tomorrow i'll pull the drain plug and let some out.
It's ALWAYS great when the fix is something cheap-and-easy instead of steep-and-complicated. It's nice to be lucky, ain't it!? [thumbzup]

Last edited:

RaggedyMan

In the last several weeks since I bought the truck I've installed all spin on filters, changed all the fluids, greased fittings, replaced the air governor, some control switches & gauges, out with the quiet turbo, in with the whistler, added a snorkel and a bridge plate and put together a small filtering system for wmo.

This week I took the top off for the winter (I don't even know if that makes sense) and finished insulating the upper half of the cab (the bottom looks like it was done years ago). I used surplus sleeping mats and basically just cut them to shape and stuffed it in, we'll see how long it takes before I have to get the glue out.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks