• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the last several weeks since I bought the truck I've installed all spin on filters, changed all the fluids, greased fittings, replaced the air governor, some control switches & gauges, out with the quiet turbo, in with the whistler, added a snorkel and a bridge plate and put together a small filtering system for wmo.

This week I took the top off for the winter (I don't even know if that makes sense) and finished insulating the upper half of the cab (the bottom looks like it was done years ago). I used surplus sleeping mats and basically just cut them to shape and stuffed it in, we'll see how long it takes before I have to get the glue out.

Be interested in seeing what you got setup to filter your wmo.

daytonatrbo

In the last several weeks since I bought the truck I've installed all spin on filters, changed all the fluids, greased fittings, replaced the air governor, some control switches & gauges, out with the quiet turbo, in with the whistler, added a snorkel and a bridge plate and put together a small filtering system for wmo.

This week I took the top off for the winter (I don't even know if that makes sense) and finished insulating the upper half of the cab (the bottom looks like it was done years ago). I used surplus sleeping mats and basically just cut them to shape and stuffed it in, we'll see how long it takes before I have to get the glue out.

Is your username a Doctor Who reference?

RaggedyMan

Is your username a Doctor Who reference?
Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome

Be interested in seeing what you got setup to filter your wmo.
You would not be impressed but it's relatively cheap and works for small amounts. I would get some pics but I'm on babysitting duty and my shop is a couple blocks up the street.

I bought 3 "pan filters" that fit on top of a 5 gal bucket, one is a 100 micron, second is a 55, third is a 25. I put one inside the other (in the proper order of course) and run the oil through, thinned with a bit of diesel. (When they get slow or stopped up I pull them apart and spray from the backside with brake cleaner and let them air dry.) Next I run the oil through 2 "sock" filters that I place one inside the other, 10 micron inside the 5 micron (not sure how I'm going to clean these). They are hung inside an upside down 5 gal bucket with a hole cut out in the bottom which is zip tied onto the top of another bucket. The bucket that contains the 25 micron filtered oil has a spout where I can set it up on my work bench and let it filter through the "socks" while I do other stuff. I only use wmo from known sources I know isn't contaminated with water, right now it's from my vehicles and the shop next door from scooters, 4 wheelers, etc. and soon 2 55 gal drums from all the city's dozen or so building generators.
Crude but simple. I don't drive my deuce a lot, some of the systems I read about were way to costly for the little bit I need.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for something inexpensive also and have looked into the bucket washable filters. I was hoping for something I can semi-automate and get other chores or tasks done simultaneously. Even if it's just 5 gallons at a time. I Have a pretty endless supply of wmo and waste ATF. Inexpensive is key since the whole idea is getting free fuel. Some of those systems, for the amount I drive the deuce I'd be better off with regular pump diesel due to cost.

RaggedyMan

I use the pan filters to pre-filter the wmo as they are easy to clean. The setup holds probably 2 gal at a time so it doesn't take that long. I fill them up, walk away, fill it up again and walk away. Then I can I run it through the sock filters. I think the sock filter has more surface area and the weight of the oil helps push it through so I feel like I can let the oil run through the spigot slowly while I do other things or even leave. Sometimes it's a day or two before I fool with it again.

tracks4me

My M931a2 had a good week. New filters all the way around. New dual purpose ABS Combo Converter Cable(24vdc to 12vdc ABS approved) power converter to EASILY plug and go on most military truck tractors to civilian commercial and or RV, landscape, etc trailers. I've done the research for some time and the XM381.com site is the answer for your civilian trailer lighting woes. Here's the link.
http://www.xm381.com/xm381/Civi_Order_Form.html

Those were my two motivations for this modification. This is the stock filter assembly off of an m35a3 truck a little trimming and a new side skirt and it will fit. As far as Plumbing, bottom line is it needs to go from 5" to 3" at a 45 degree in about 12"

rustystud

Hank your truck is simply amazing ! One question though. With all that you've done to that truck, why haven't you added a muffler ? You need one of those nice stainless steel models !

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I sense my primary 3 micron primary fuel filter is becoming low potential flow due to gauge indications. I need to use its full filter potential before I renew it. Made a direct dump back to tank, useful as the hose output can be swished around the tank bottom to stir up contents. For normal running it gets capped off. Will attempt to measure GPH flow, {decrease} as filter plugs, then again with new filter. Want to know how long 50 gallons of fuel once thru will be.
pictures for the General
IMG_7413.jpgIMG_7409.jpg

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this WEEK i continued the resto of TRUCK 3. I tested the engine start button, and verified that I have voltage leaving the switch, ( conductor 74 ) and now am verifying that is going to the correct terminal on the starter relay...which according to the wire diagram is terminal D.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks