• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

daytonatrbo

Yep, that's what I found, too. Anybody have any idea what the bend radius is on these things?

There would really be no point in that. The turbo outlet is only 3" and you're only pushing 130HP so a big exhaust would only be a bigger rain catcher. Plus it might get in the way of the tire.
I've been thinking of doing a better rain trap with a drain. That way you could eliminate the 180 and likely have more clearance for tires.

FarmerRob

I've been thinking of doing a better rain trap with a drain. That way you could eliminate the 180 and likely have more clearance for tires.
I was planning an buying a "J bend" (not to be confused with a J pipe) Since it has two 90's and a small straight section. Should be everything you need if you have a saw and welder, and its just a bit cheaper and more compact that the individual pieces.
Since I'm going to be tearing apart the exhaust anyway (and adding 395s), I'm seriously thinking of moving it to the back of the cab and adding a muffler and a rain cap. That should solve all the exhaust issues. I don't want to dump it out the bottom because I don't want to lose any fording depth.

daytonatrbo

Since I'm going to be tearing apart the exhaust anyway (and adding 395s), I'm seriously thinking of moving it to the back of the cab and adding a muffler and a rain cap. That should solve all the exhaust issues. I don't want to dump it out the bottom because I don't want to lose any fording depth.
Letting it dump out the bottom is tempting. It helps attenuate the noise without adding a muffler and would actually reduce and back pressure under normal operation. I don't ever *plan* on deep water fording, but with all the flooding around lately, it's something I want to have the option of doing.

I really hate to add a rain flap because it takes away from the look of the truck in some small way, in my opinion. I was thinking of adding a more dramatic turn-out and back-cutting it to reduce the amount of water going into the pipe.

Running the stack behind the cab is a great idea for functionality, but I don't think my wife will allow me to move the stack. She likes the look of it where it is.

FarmerRob

Letting it dump out the bottom is tempting. It helps attenuate the noise without adding a muffler and would actually reduce and back pressure under normal operation. I don't ever *plan* on deep water fording, but with all the flooding around lately, it's something I want to have the option of doing.
My thoughts exactly.

I really hate to add a rain flap because it takes away from the look of the truck in some small way, in my opinion. I was thinking of adding a more dramatic turn-out and back-cutting it to reduce the amount of water going into the pipe.
Very true. Something like a 900-series tip might serve the purpose. My full-size truck needs a new tip anyway because it rusted out, so it's good to explore options.

Running the stack behind the cab is a great idea for functionality, but I don't think my wife will allow me to move the stack. She likes the look of it where it is.
Gotta keep mama happy!! I'm considering using the bobber as a tow vehicle for a 32' RV camper, so some functionality/driveability upgrades would be a good idea. And my lady doesn't care about my green iron, so my options are limited only by imagination and funds.

FarmerRob

I'm pretty sure that you need 3 1/2" od tube. And adding a 5" tube will reduce EGT.
Yep, 3.5". My bad. But I really don't think the multifuel engine flows enough (air or fuel) to justify a 5" exhaust. If you turn up the fuel enough to where you're that worried about EGTs, you're probably gonna be burning up pistons. But hey... you be you. [thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've Been thinking about making one out of 5" tube.
Go big or go home.
May I ask, Sir, what your goal is in going with a 5" tube??
- Is it to reduce EGTs?
- Is it to produce a deep and loud exhaust sound/noise?
- Is it for the visual effect?
Please tell us what you're shooting for, since so there are several possibilities.

Thank you.

My goal is to build a reliable engine. I will be getting a new (used) engine this weekend. I will be removing the cam, if it's in good shape I will be sending it to a cam grinder for a new profile. Next I am considering removing the turbo and replacing it with a Paxton supercharger. These changes won't boost the horse power much. But they will lower the EGT significantly. This will ultimately make the engine much more reliable with a small boost in power.

Every day I read post after post about blown head gaskets, burned valves, engines blowing white smoke and knocking sounds that can't be explained. All of this from engines with less than 60k miles.

I am willing to admit that the LDT465 is a POS. Most of you won't admit that. Those of us who can admit it are the ones that are willing to think outside the box and apply a new way of thinking to a problem that hasn't changed in over 40 years.

Heat is the enemy of all engines. Removing the heat isn't that hard to do, you just need to be willing to spend the time and money.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but the only solution I hear on this forum is to remove the bad stuff and replace it with the same stuff. That doesn't work for me.

This truck is a hobby for me. I work on it every day. It's what I love to do. When I am finished with this truck, it will look like an M35A2 but it will be like none other.

JohnnyBM931A2

My goal is to build a reliable engine. I will be getting a new (used) engine this weekend. I will be removing the cam, if it's in good shape I will be sending it to a cam grinder for a new profile. Next I am considering removing the turbo and replacing it with a Paxton supercharger. These changes won't boost the horse power much. But they will lower the EGT significantly. This will ultimately make the engine much more reliable with a small boost in power.

Every day I read post after post about blown head gaskets, burned valves, engines blowing white smoke and knocking sounds that can't be explained. All of this from engines with less than 60k miles.

I am willing to admit that the LDT465 is a POS. Most of you won't admit that. Those of us who can admit it are the ones that are willing to think outside the box and apply a new way of thinking to a problem that hasn't changed in over 40 years.

Heat is the enemy of all engines. Removing the heat isn't that hard to do, you just need to be willing to spend the time and money.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but the only solution I hear on this forum is to remove the bad stuff and replace it with the same stuff. That doesn't work for me.

This truck is a hobby for me. I work on it every day. It's what I love to do. When I am finished with this truck, it will look like an M35A2 but it will be like none other.
Well.. I wouldn't say ALL engines... I hear steam engines tend to like a bit of heat ;)

RaggedyMan

That's a refreshing look; build a better Deuce, a "bionic" Deuce,
"Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

Now, if I only knew more about diesel engines I could help you in your quest, I guess I'll just have to be content with following along.

Another Ahab

That's a refreshing look; build a better Deuce, a "bionic" Deuce,
"Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

Now, if I only knew more about diesel engines I could help you in your quest, I guess I'll just have to be content with following along.
Right - on raggetyman, and I hope we can follow your progress with the logic of your upgrades, especially the supercharger, and with pics...
You bet, Big Dumb Truck; there's three of us who'd subscribe right-off-the-bat to your "bionic" thread.

I got a lazy bone though, can you please post a link here to the thread (I mean if you decide to "launch")? :popcorn:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got the transmission I bought from GimpyRob swapped into mine. Hopefully will button it up this weekend and get it mobile once again.

Hitman

M109a3

056.jpg038.jpglaid down the wood floor over the new steel floor . and then its on to adding what I want for a fishing and hunting truck to get me way out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks