• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

tobyS

Hi TobyS...

Not sure I understand. Would the 'gusset' be adjustable in length, so that once the desired height was reached...
it could be locked into position in the event that the jack fails?

I've been up working on the deuce since 1 AM, so my brain cells are very... VERY tired! LOL!! :oops:
It's an issue of bending, not jack failure. Look up "moment arm" and plug in your sizes/dimensions to a calculator.

I've built lifts with a gusset plate on the opposite side of the jack connection to help prevent the tube bending. It makes a tiangle to carry the load (a truss versus a beam).

It looks like the distance from the pivot point on the arm to the jack is about 10-12" and that the arm length is about 12'. So a load at the end puts 12/1 times the weight of the load. If it is a 500# load, it's putting a 6000# load on the jack.

I work with 3 x 3 a lot and would be surprised if you don't bend it. I'm not being critical, but putting a plate or truss tension bar before it bends will be much easier than after it does.

AZK9

It's an issue of bending, not jack failure. Look up "moment arm" and plug in your sizes/dimensions to a calculator.

I've built lifts with a gusset plate on the opposite side of the jack connection to help prevent the tube bending. It makes a tiangle to carry the load (a truss versus a beam).

It looks like the distance from the pivot point on the arm to the jack is about 10-12" and that the arm length is about 12'. So a load at the end puts 12/1 times the weight of the load. If it is a 500# load, it's putting a 6000# load on the jack.

I work with 3 x 3 a lot and would be surprised if you don't bend it. I'm not being critical, but putting a plate or truss tension bar before it bends will be much easier than after it does.
Hey... I greatly appreciate the explanation! [thumbzup]

I will look into the whole thing... for sure! Thanks a TON!! :mrgreen:

One thing I do need to mention is... when I lift different loads (only tested it on 3 items so far),
I bring the 'arm' in all the way so it is pretty short. The photo shows the arm fully extended because
the spare tank is not very heavy. Not sure of the actual weight, but when my wife was available to
help me with the deuce... the two of us easily lifted and moved it around.

The crane does make a nice Soldier B, but there's no substitute for the value my wife provides to
this project! She is awesome!

Eliteweapons

Had a bad algae issue when I bought my truck in June. Has been running fine since the filter changes and additives, but decided to clean the tank today. drained all the fuel and looked at the nasty crap lining the tank. Also found some extra items in there as well. There was an old float in there and the remains of the check valve assembly clogged with snot in the bottom of the tank. Can't seem to find a new check valve listed anywhere thou. The tank sure does look pretty now, but need to locate a new check for it.14470786_1175575299152158_1858558154_n.jpg

Kaiser67M715

Age and fatigue.
Yeah, they were looking pretty old, brake broke right in the middle, but the clutch broke halfway through the hook, almost seemed like it was worn from rubbing rather then fatigue.

It was one of those things I hadn't quite gotten to, amidst all my other projects sapping up all my spare change, I want to get new door seals, and new wood for the troop seats, but my GMC has to come first right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, they were looking pretty old, brake broke right in the middle, but the clutch broke halfway through the hook, almost seemed like it was worn from rubbing rather then fatigue.

It was one of those things I hadn't quite gotten to, amidst all my other projects sapping up all my spare change, I want to get new door seals, and new wood for the troop seats, but my GMC has to come first right now.
I bought a new clutch return spring, just to put new in over my questionable old one - but I shelved the project because I couldn't figure out how to install it (I couldn't apply the necessary force to stretch it ALL that distance in the confined space). How did you manage it?

chestypuller1371

Picked up a parts deuce. gonna try the crew cab thing.

just a question but is the cab on a 5ton tapered like the deuce too? i know the fronts look different. nothing related to my parts truck just a weird question

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Installed a HMMWV dual voltage output alternator. 100A on the 24V side, 25A on the 12 (I think).

What a pain in the you know where. Oh lordy.

I got this alternator from Maccus a while back. My stock 60A unit died and this was the only spare I had, so I had to go ahead and install it.

First, I had to bore out a deuce pulley and then have it shortened-long story, but someone sold me a pulley that wasn't deuce (don't know what it was) and I didn't notice it wasn't correct until I'd spent $80 at a machine shop having it bored. So I had it shortened and used it. Oh well.

I bought 15' of 4G welding cable and soldered lugs to it on both ends. I had already rebuilt my battery box last year with civvy batteries with an eye towards this eventual job, so the batteries were already offset to one end. I found an 81R battery that fir perfectly (correct height) for the alternator to feed.

Man, this alternator is heavy and fun to install. Since it was out, I went ahead and replaced the lower radiator hose.

I had to make a little jumper wire from my factory harness field wire-the factory 60A alternator field wire has a packard and this alternator uses a ring terminal, so I made a short wire to plug in so I wouldn't have to modify my factory wiring harness.

After doing all this, my recommendation to anyone who needs a lot of 12V power would be to just suck it up and buy an expensive high output converter. Much easier.

Battery box mod:

20160903_184038.jpg20160905_190944.jpg20160905_190939.jpg20160904_104803.jpg20160903_192958.jpg20160903_185922.jpg20160903_185917.jpg20160903_184043.jpg20160903_184041.jpg20160905_190948.jpg

Why yes, that other switch does say "rear winch disconnect". 8)

Alternator:

20160916_110759.jpg20160916_110748.jpg20160916_110746.jpg20160916_110743.jpg20160916_110728.jpg20160916_110705.jpg20160916_110656.jpg20160916_110641.jpg20160916_110801.jpg

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I continued the Fuel In jector Pump removal. Because of my torch cutting away of the steering box, and some of the frame, I was able to remove it out the top, and not crawl under theb wreckage.Didn't think I could do that, did you? WELL I DID ! ..I will now perform a rudamental " bench" test, and if the asseymbly seems to work, I will install it in my M108 wrecker. But first I must remove the pump in the wrecker, and the winch is in the way!

Attachments

SRB1976

I recently replaced my air horn solenoid on my A3 but the horn still doesn't seem to work right. Sometimes when I honk it it sounds like a dying seal. Do I need to replace the horn?

Another Ahab

I recently replaced my air horn solenoid on my A3 but the horn still doesn't seem to work right. Sometimes when I honk it it sounds like a dying seal. Do I need to replace the horn?
No. Here's what you ned to do, and please don't delay:

- You need to get some medical assistance for your seal.

animal-ambulance.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks