• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

texas30cal

I need the big one that has the metal plate and two bolts, I'm just going to get a plate burned out on the plasma table and cut the rubber out of a old mud flap as it seems that surplus ones aren't available.

DavidWymore

Changing front pinion seal. First I thought I had water in the diff because of the thick chunks and milky look but then when I pulled the seal I found white lithium grease behind it. I'm still gonna drain a little oil and see how it looks. Spring had come off the old seal and gone inward. Old seal was quadruple lip and almost twice as wide as the new double lip one I got from work. Suppose the new one will be ok as long as I'm not fording rivers.image.jpg

rustystud

Changing front pinion seal. First I thought I had water in the diff because of the thick chunks and milky look but then when I pulled the seal I found white lithium grease behind it. I'm still gonna drain a little oil and see how it looks. Spring had come off the old seal and gone inward. Old seal was quadruple lip and almost twice as wide as the new double lip one I got from work. Suppose the new one will be ok as long as I'm not fording rivers.View attachment 652576
To bad you couldn't save the seal. Those where the factory seals for deep water fording. I installed many of those when I was rebuilding all those military gear boxes in the mid 1980's. I wish I could find someone who still carried them NOS.
Of course you can just use the seals now and just reverse the outer seal, but the original one looks so much better !

DavidWymore

Rusty, you've rebuilt a lot of stuff. I've always wondered how many miles are on my 70. Judging by the lack of wear on the pinion flange from the seal, and what I found inside the broken transmission which looked really good except for being broken, I think this is a low mileage truck, but the speedometer has been replaced so I don't know what the mileage is. What would you guess? It's a '70 and I can just barely feel the seal groove in the pinion flange with my thumbnail. Everything I open and look at on it looks pretty new.

rustystud

Rusty, you've rebuilt a lot of stuff. I've always wondered how many miles are on my 70. Judging by the lack of wear on the pinion flange from the seal, and what I found inside the broken transmission which looked really good except for being broken, I think this is a low mileage truck, but the speedometer has been replaced so I don't know what the mileage is. What would you guess? It's a '70 and I can just barely feel the seal groove in the pinion flange with my thumbnail. Everything I open and look at on it looks pretty new.
That very well could be the original mileage. Unless it had a total refurbish done to it at sometime. But in all reality I only saw a few deuces that had all the differentials and transmissions and transfer-cases replaced. Most differentials last the life of the truck as do the transfer-cases. Transmissions do get the worst of it especially with new drivers coming in all the time.
Check the date on the differentials tag. If they are around 1968 to 1970 then they are most likely original, and with no wear on the flange from the seal then in all likely-hood you have an extremely low mileage deuce.
Yes I have rebuilt a lot of stuff and the damage to my hands prove it ! I have broken my left wrist so many times from hitting it with a hammer when driving out bearings and bushings that the doctors want to fuse it now. I still can move it so I will deal with the pain for now. There are small fragments of bone floating around there that occasionally get jammed but a cortisone shot helps keep the inflammation down.
Your probably wondering why I hit my hands in the first place. Well after working all day on gears and bearings and bearing races you get tired and loose concentration and aim. At one time all I did all day long was rebuild differentials and transmissions and transfer-cases. I got carpal tunnel during that time from swinging my hammer all day long. Yes there is a lot of measuring with calipers and micrometers and dial-indicators but that is after all the pounding and pulling and pressing is done.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

I need the big one that has the metal plate and two bolts, I'm just going to get a plate burned out on the plasma table and cut the rubber out of a old mud flap as it seems that surplus ones aren't available.
eBay, search for M35 Dash Panel Retainer 7397744, I've only ever seen them there, but I've never asked any of the surplus dealers either. You'll need 2 to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZDeuce

Just sold mine....downsizing. It's not a sad event just life moving on. Gave me over 10 years of joy time for someone else to enjoy her.

texas30cal

I re-lined my parking brake shoes, replaced the springs and cable today, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now I can stop carrying 4x4's in the jerry can holder!

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Washed the Deuce to get ready for the Veteran's Day parade in Phoenix on the 11th. After it was all done, I looked up at the canvas top & think we put it on inside out. I think those straps are to attach to the bows to help hold it in place. Will flip it next weekend.
IMAG6956.jpgIMAG6957.jpgIMAG6958.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks