• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Maverick1701

I used my truck to move more or less my whole shop.

Empty (mostly empty....only loaded with extra troop seat set, soft top, and 2nd spare tire)
20170824_182143.jpg

Fully loaded with my garage/shop:
20170824_201753.jpg

On the way out of town I ran by the truck scale at the local cotton gin. This is the most I have loaded her down in my 7 years of ownership. 15680lbs (one person, full fuel tank, and full bed).
20170902_171621.jpg

Mrwilson79

I looked at mine for a couple hours, drank a few beers, rebuilt the blinker switch, drank a few beers, sitting with finger in ass waiting on a new turbo to arrive.

Maverick1701

Crimony, I can't imagine how many trips it would take to move my shop, or better yet--- how much it would weigh.

Just tools, no mv parts, those are stored elsewhere. WOW just imagine packing up all your tools. Imagine the effort involved!
Well my "shop" was more of a shop room/garage (not an actual "real" shop....which I hope to have one day).

rustystud

Crimony, I can't imagine how many trips it would take to move my shop, or better yet--- how much it would weigh.

Just tools, no mv parts, those are stored elsewhere. WOW just imagine packing up all your tools. Imagine the effort involved!
I was thinking the same thing ! It would take a semi-truck with a 40 foot trailer just to haul my tools ! If it didn't go over the weight limit.

Maverick1701

I made it to Lubbock, unloaded my truck, and setup my workspace/tools/etc in my storage unit/"shop". It's large enough to fit all the junk from my house, shop, the M35A2, and the M38A1. If I recall, the size is 16ftX35ft w/a 13ft door.

After I unloaded the truck, I gave it the bikini top look (which I LOVE but couldn't always do because my old house was in the country and animals would get in to nest in my truck bed).

I also installed the fuel can holder (and fuel can) on the drivers fender/step. I'm not quite sure I like the fuel can holder (and fuel can) installed on the truck. I think it looks cleaner w/out the holder/can....I'm still deciding if it should stay or go.

20170905_150849.jpg20170905_150915.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I unloaded the truck, I gave it the bikini top look (which I LOVE
Looks sharp! :)
I do find though that the open sides cause a lot of turbulence that is hard on the cargo cover when driving down the road. I usually have it on and closed or completely off. Bikini looks cool at a show, though.

I have the steel water can in the holder on the driver side and, after banging my knee on it three times in a row while working on the truck, I also thought about getting rid of the setup!

nchittendon

After letting Soldier "B" and "D" (C was unavailable at the time) do an inspection, we took the truck to my work for a company picnic that offered truck rides. About 400 people through and she never skipped a beat.

20170824_163653.jpg20170826_162242.jpg

rustystud

Finally did some long overdue PM. Adjust valves, replace all hoses, new coolant, belts, filters. Bet I could have done it faster if I weren't 70. Anyway it is all done finally.

Don't sell yourself short. With age comes experience. I can do jobs faster then many young pups can, simply because I know "what" needs doing and "how" it needs to be done.

I still remember trying to show these young mechanics how to change out the transmission and motor mounts on this one particular fleet of buses we had. It took the average mechanic 4 hours to do the job. I could do it in 45 minutes. I even showed a group how I did it and they could not repeat what I had done. So no more poo-pooing about age being a problem here.

Engineer 1SG

I had a feeling the fuel was turned up too high on my recently acquired deuce. The truck smoked considerably with thick black smoke from ¾ to full throttle. I chose not to drive the truck until I got a pyrometer installed, to prevent any damage.

After a lot of research on this site, I purchased an Auberin’s digital EGT pyrometer with probe combination: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=230 for under $100 plus shipping. I installed the gauge on the steering column. I used a 3/4” piece of pvc board, cutting the board to allow it to clamp on the column, with a square hole cut to allow the egt to slide in. Used the closest color spray paint I had to cover the white pvc board.
The pyrometer confirmed my suspicions. The fuel was turned up too far. Just riding around on flat ground, with no load, the temperature would easily reach 1250, and if I pushed it, it would reach 1300+. I turned the fuel down slowly and kept testing to see the max temp at full throttle with no load on flat ground (55 mph). After three full CCW turns of the nut, the deuce maxs out at 1150 with no load on flat ground. Since I live in an area with absolutely no hills (literally at sea level), and don’t intend to head to the mountains any time soon, I tightened everything down and wired the adjustment nut with safety wire. Now the truck smokes much less, and power seems to be relatively unchanged.
The pyro has an alarm feature, along with a peak temperature recorder, so I set it at 1150. I don’t use the truck too heavily, so I think things will be fine. I’d rather have a little less power and smoke than risk melting a piston.
Next step: find out what’s leaking on the steering box. It’s completely covered with oily grease and appears to be leaking. pyro.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Deuce is parked where it might do some good while it is parked
She is guarding the front of my home

IMG_4233.jpgIMG_4237.jpgIMG_4240.jpg

After three I got a Deuce, my last redundant backup.
Storms we been in home 09102017 IMG_4261.jpg

Last edited:

Akicita

Loaded firewood today.
Am tired of traipsing through the snow to get to the woodpile.
It's still fairly warm here in PA but winter is coming...
In the future, my woodpile is where I park the Deuce.
Don't come over for a visit when snow covers the driveway.
I expect my woodpile is going to block the door.

Attachments

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

On the way into work this morning I collected my Deuce seats that have FINALLY been re-upholstered, only took 4 months to get it all done.

So now this coming Saturday I'll refit them so my interior will look like new again.

(Aussie dose Happy Dance!)

I'll post picks of them tonight when I get home from work.

Saturday will have pics of them installed,... and just because!
;)

Aussie.

winfred

scored a m105 trailer for $500 about 90 miles away so took deuce on its longest trip with me, about 2/3 way though trip the atrocious roads here in loserana were bad enough to break off the steel plate i had welded over the bone ends and kicked off a lower inner, only clue something wasn't right was steering center changed slightly, pulled over to inspect the trailer and discover the right side rears were touching, had plenty of tools but forgot to grab a ratchet strap or two that would've helped to pull the axle back into position, put a wheel chock between the wheels and used the long bar from the gear type lug tool to lever the wheels apart with success, used jack (the bottle jack/jack stand combo tractor supply sells) against the tire to push the bone back onto the socket, found some yellow floating rope in the trailer and tied the left and right bones together till i could acquire a ratchet strap to drive the 50 odd miles home

well.....the 4 pictures i uploaded should be right here........, guess i gotta upload from computer if i want them to actually show up

trans and transfer case are full to the plug and leak a little at speed as evidenced in dogbone shot, sits nice and level with the 395s and lunette in up position
IMG_4387.jpgIMG_4389.jpgIMG_4390.jpgIMG_4391.jpg

Last edited:

Jericho

Changed Fuel filters, was having a lack of power over 45 problem, felt like a flutter at 45 then no more acceleration, Pretty dirty , only had 4100 miles on them . GOing to add some Power Service Silver . Also Removed and replaced the J pipe , WHAT A MONSTER, , I bought one of the three pipes welded together J pipes , alignment was poor, what should have been a 1 hour job turned into four, Had to add an off set bracket in the wheel well to bolt it up. Doesn't leak ,but, will hold out for a OEM standard one piece pipe next time !

Rmtaunton

scored a m105 trailer for $500 about 90 miles away so took deuce on its longest trip with me, about 2/3 way though trip the atrocious roads here in loserana were bad enough to break off the steel plate i had welded over the bone ends and kicked off a lower inner, only clue something wasn't right was steering center changed slightly, pulled over to inspect the trailer and discover the right side rears were touching, had plenty of tools but forgot to grab a ratchet strap or two that would've helped to pull the axle back into position, put a wheel chock between the wheels and used the long bar from the gear type lug tool to lever the wheels apart with success, used jack (the bottle jack/jack stand combo tractor supply sells) against the tire to push the bone back onto the socket, found some yellow floating rope in the trailer and tied the left and right bones together till i could acquire a ratchet strap to drive the 50 odd miles home

well.....the 4 pictures i uploaded should be right here........
That my friends is a deuce owner !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks