• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

tobyS

What exactly is "this" that we are looking at in the pic, something you want us to notice about the transmission?
I think he is referring to what appears to be torch heating spots on the inner shaft. The comment is sarcasm, I think.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inspected and serviced the trunnion (spring seat) bushings. Also drilled and tapped the covers for grease zerks (I opted to locate them facing at a 45 degree angle downward, rather than on top of the cap; less risk of water seeping in). The military welded a massive plate steel trailer hitch to my truck which comes in very handy when I need to lift the frame up and let the axles dangle. I figure that greasing the bushings with the weight off the spring seat gets more grease to where it matters.

IMG_20170913_150038.jpgIMG_20170913_121049.jpg

Next step was to pull the rear wheels off and tackle the torque rod bushings (dog bone bushings). I did not have a failure but noticed increased deep cracking and what looked like partial separation. This fellow here still "passed" the mil spec "crowbar test", but would I continue to trust it? Nope.

IMG_20170914_140005.jpg

I opted for the upgraded parts from Erik's. Cheap? No. Solid? You bet!

torque-rod-end-for-m35-series-new-style-7521831n-10.jpg

This job sucks, no matter what. It took me (working alone) all afternoon to do all 12 ends (starting with truck already up in the air). I used the tips I learened here on the forum, such as

- use a soft steel wood splitting wedge and a 4x4 to put tension on the studs (works well for the ones behind the brake drums), then whack the bracket with a BFH. The stud eventually pops out.

- I found that putting the wood splitting wedge half and half behind the torque rod ends at the center bracket (lower rods) also allowed the stud to be tensioned for easier pop

- The two top rods sucked less than I anticipated. I bought a cheap 1 1/2 inch socket and cut it very short with a grinder. Just enough left to securely grab the nut. With the axles dangling, it is easy to pivot the spring pack so access is possible. I could actually do it by hand, not even needed to step onto the wheel studs. Yes, it is playing around a bit, yes that part of the job still sucks, but in the end the hex nuts came out without drama.

IMG_20170914_132706.jpg

I left them attached holding with only a few threads and stuck a steel rod into the nut opening. That way the steel rod would not slide off the stud when I hit the rod with a BFH. I did not see it necessary to cut the U-bolts etc.

- My 12t shop press handled the job with ease. I used a cheap 2 1/4 inch socket with a steel plate on top to press all 12 ends out and the new ones in. The socket is probably "just" big enough but worked fine. On the new ends, it sits exactly on the high "ridge" that runs just inside of the edge. For an exact fit, get 3" OD steel pipe with 1/4" wall thickness. Or play with a discarded torque rod end to get the steel sleeve off and use it as a press tool.

IMG_20170914_121110.jpg

- The old ends needed some power to break loose (audible *pop* each time) but then come out with ease. The new ends slide in with little pressure. I could get them in a good ways by pumping the press jack with my finger, so I doubt they take more than 1 or 1 1/2 tons.

- I am wrecked after this. I'm not 20 anymore. ****it. The torque rod job took me a good five hours, working by myself.

Disclaimer for the pictures: I have SIX 6 ton axle stands that I employ. The pictures may not always show the axle stands in place because they move around, depending on where I have to work, but I do not rely on the rear lifting and support points alone.

IMG_20170914_151026.jpgIMG_20170913_161430.jpgIMG_20170913_163610.jpg

So, tomorrow it is axle leaks (I suspect a leaking brake cylinder or two) and oil change. Maybe pinion seals, but I might push these to Sunday....

Last edited:

rustystud

Now that you've replace all 12 torque rod ends with the newer style "Heim" joints, you should never have to do this job again !
I laughed when you said it took you 5 hours to do the job. At my age and with all my body parts failing it would take me five hours just to get the wheels off now ! I have to carefully plan ahead all my moves in advance. Where to put the jackstands. Which rod will come off first and what tools will I need. I cannot afford to be getting up and off the creeper all day. That alone takes a lot of energy, and my back cannot take that strain for long. So whatever your age cattlerepairman your doing OK for now.

Another Ahab

I laughed when you said it took you 5 hours to do the job. At my age and with all my body parts failing it would take me five hours just to get the wheels off now ! I have to carefully plan ahead all my moves in advance. Where to put the jackstands. Which rod will come off first and what tools will I need. I cannot afford to be getting up and off the creeper all day. That alone takes a lot of energy, and my back cannot take that strain for long. So whatever your age cattlerepairman your doing OK for now.
It's all in the pacing.

I've been in general contracting most of my life, and one of the first companies I worked for had a long-term laborer, name of "Stoney" who most everybody kind of picked on, claiming he was slow and lazy.

Over time I picked up that he was truthfully one of the hardest working laborers we had in that company. It was all in how he paced himself.

We did a lot of concrete work as a company, and this was just when bobcats were making their move on the market, but a lot of digging was still by hand. That man Stoney could dig all day l-o-n-g. Sure he was slow, but he never stopped. There were very few like him. He was a machine. I always admired him for that work spirit, always good-humored and never whined about anything.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tackled the rear hubs today. Drum/hub assemblies cam off for cleaning, all bearings inspected/repacked, seals inspected/replaced. I did not feel like duct taping the spindle threads and made a protector instead. 2 in PVC pipe, cut a segment out, snaps right over the threads and stays on well enough to allow you to actually rest the hub/drum on it.
Brakes adjusted, buttoned it all back up.
IMG_20170915_103213.jpgIMG_20170915_103218.jpg

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Got my newly re upholstered seats fitted today.

PIC_0627.jpgPIC_0626.jpgPIC_0625.jpgPIC_0623.jpgPIC_0622.jpg

Now the interior looks Great.

The cover is a deeper green that you see in the pics because the light seems to show them washed out, just bad lighting photography wise.

On the bottom of the drivers seat base was this tag.

PIC_0619.jpgPIC_0618.jpg

Can anyone tell me where my Deuce may have been stationed?

Also I would like to get these new replacement data plates, anybody got any of these?

PIC_0630.jpgPIC_0631.jpg

Now to sweep out the dust and get to replacing the lower radiator hose that has a pin hole in it.

Yup, I'm a Deuce owner all right!

Aussie.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,.....

View attachment 699558View attachment 699559View attachment 699560View attachment 699561View attachment 699562

The cover is a deeper green that you see in the pics because the light seems to show them washed out, just bad lighting photography wise.

View attachment 699563View attachment 699564

Also I would like to get these new replacement data plates, anybody got any of these?

View attachment 699565View attachment 699566

Now to sweep out the dust and get to replacing the lower radiator hose that has a pin hole in it.

Aussie.
Aussie Bloke. Camp Williams, Utah National Guard. 19TH SFGA. Is a Detachment of the 1st Battalion of the 19TH Special Forces Group (AIRBORNE). 1ST SF BN SPT.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I paid an after auction visit to my new to me 1985 Deuce from Gov Planet last week. It is less than 20 miles away, so an easy trip. The truck looked as it was photographed in the pictures from IP so that was good. They left out the picture of the battery box........it still has the Hawker batteries in it & have over 12.2 volts per battery. The main positive lead was disconnected saving them probably( I would like to bring them home & put on a AGM battery charger, but that is not allowed). The in tank pump runs, but the fuel is old according to the nose test. The tailgate is in the bed & some homemade ladder is in the tailgate to allow access to the bed. The tailgate looks a little bent up, so it might need replacing @ some point. The hardtop has rust problems on the sides, but the rest of the sheetmetal & frame are in great shape as is the 32 year old paint job.

As soon as the EUC clears, I will tow her home with the other Deuce I have & a towbar. Attempting to work on her where she is stored is not good due to the water & mosquitoes everywhere after the last week hurricane.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,.....

View attachment 699558View attachment 699559View attachment 699560View attachment 699561View attachment 699562

View attachment 699563View attachment 699564

View attachment 699565View attachment 699566

Aussie.
Aussie Bloke, try (TNJ Murray) for data plates, they have hundreds. It will make things easier if you have the Part # of the data plates your looking for, try the TMs. Enter the Part # into their Inventory Search, and if they have it, it'll pop up. Good Luck!

speedfellon

Had a great weekend at camp gridley. Great turn out, most vehicles ever!! we honored many WWII vets that came. went on 2convoys trips.heading home tomorrow. ThenRepacking for next week at tower park meet. Over 700miles in events in past month. Deuce running great. oh,last weekend got best military vehicle at car show over 200 cars at that event. Great way to close summer out.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alan, glad you had a good time at Gridley, I sure would like to make it there next year. Today I'm loading the trailer with all my collectibles (junk), and hope to be on the road heading for Tower Park before sunrise Monday morning. It's about a 300 mile trip, so I hope to be in Reno early afternoon, and then to Tower Park by 3:00pm. Got all the maintenance on the Deuce done. Was doing the lube service on the front end when I noticed my front axle dust boots are badly cracked. I got a few years out of these, and they looked good back in April, now they're on my list of things to do when I return. I'm going to go solo this year as the wife (navigator) couldn't get a week off from the Hospital this time. I'll be at spot #161 next to Sonny Hanson and Jim Porterfield, and most important across from the Latrine, Showers and Laundry. What day will you be arriving??

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW - What a great idea! It would even be battlefield ready or extra-vehicular activities like inspections or repairs along a desolate trail or in the wilderness.
I got the camping lights in & tried one of them out on my dash in the dark. This is on the low light setting so it doesn't distract while driving. Uses 3 AAA batteries, available in 4 different colors, and I can keep in the glove box for anytime I think I'll be out during the dark hours. Best of all, it lets me keep the truck stock (which I try very hard to do). Here is photos of the stock lights & stock lights plus my new light.

Oh, they are $7.99 a pair on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071672WCR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMAG9031.jpgIMAG9030.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks